a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthatcher

you lucky guy!    and here i was spending the whole day writing letters for school and then heading off to a school function this evening..   not much of a weekend here in northeast pa!    it is great that you were able to spend time on the water..  it will probably be mid November before I get a chance to come down to  cover Adagio.. i will be in touch.   jt

Bob23

Yes, I am a very blessed guy. Looking forward to seeing you guys when you make it down to cover your boat...gimme a heads up.
Best,
Bob23

Bob23

The inevitable has happened...Sunday I pulled the sails off the boat thus officially ending the pathetically short 2013 season which was not without high points.  I had intended to sail on Saturday but a last minute customer meeting was requested so I missed that. Turns out we had zero wind on Saturday anyway. "No worries, mate- there's always Sunday". No worries indeed- just rain instead. After church, and while watching the showers descend, I spent the morning finishing up a trailer modification I had started on Saturday afternoon and finally made it to the boat at about noonish.
   Skies were clearing slowly and the NNW wind bekoned me but one sorta knows when it's time. I like a clear, dry day when I begin the decommisioning ritual because I raise the sails in the slip, hose 'em off thoroughly and then let them dry in the wind. Lines and boom are then removed, radio taken out and the mast is readied for removal. All the above was completed as the sky cleared nicely and the same North wind blew, reminding me that I'd chosen a good day to begin the decommisioning. Sad, yes but as we all know- any ending is followed by a beginning! Fall rowing season is at hand!
   To close out the day, I mixed up a Dark and Stormy and sat in the fading light planning in my head the winter projects that will appear on my to-do list. Yes, I keep Gosslings rum, ginger ale and lime juice on board at all times...for medicinal purposes, mind you!
   Of course the aforementioned high points are notable: The boat making it through Hurricane Sandy, the Infamous Barnegat Bay Bash 2013 and meeting up there with old friends and new, having JT visit my home port of Surf City, NJ in his 23 albeit listing a bit to starboard. And not having the boat break loose in the long stretch of NE winds we experienced this fall. Exploring some new waters near Cedar Run, NJ was a first.
   So raise your glasses with me mates: Here's to voyages past and voyages future, however long or short- may they be fully enjoyed and appreciated- you never know which one is your last!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Eagleye

Cheers, Bob.
  Hope to meet up with you again soon.
-Allen

"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

brackish

I will raise my glass later today.  Just woke up and as I usually do checked the hour by hour forecast for Bay Springs Lake.  Winds 10-12 out of the Southeast all day, partly cloudy with temps peaking at 71.  So sometime this afternoon I will join your toast while aboard.  Be advised I will probably have a difficult time finding crew on short notice on a work day.  An early jet will put you in Memphis or Huntsville in plenty of time to make the departure.... ;D

MKBLK

Ich Auch! Cheers! Prost! and spring can't get here soon enough! Eagleye, nice shot of Koinonia and Barnegat Bay. I'm already dreaming about BBB-2014! I think, next time, I'll make it a two nighter... less stress, hopefully! Might even invest in one of those new fangled "5 hour energy drinks" to help me cope after all the fun is done!

Pegasus is still hoping to do one more sail this fall before the ice arrives. Got my fingers crossed!

Keep in touch,

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Yesterday, Koinonia was pulled from the waters by the trusty hands of Vinny at the helm of his travel lift at Long Key Marina thus officially ending the sailing season for me. In the spring I had tried a new ablative anti fouling paint, Aqua by Interlux so I was anxious to see the results. And the results are great: Not one, nary a one, nada...I mean no barnacles whatsoever on the bottom. What a great water based anti fouling! I'm sold. After she was placed on her trailer and recieved a nice powerwashing, I pulled out to the point where no activity was happening so I could de-rig her and lower the mast. I do this every year so it's becoming routine..except the mast lowering. Knowing I wouldn't have any help this year, I devised a Goldberg type gin pole.       
   What's that saying: "God protects fools and children" ...and 23 owners who think they're engineers at devising mast lowering methods! I'll spare you the details but suffice to say the mast came kinda gently down, no one was hurt or killed and nothing broke. I'd call that a success but I won't be using this exact method again. Life is such a learning experience that I'll probably live to be 500 by the time I stop learning.
   After a few hours, I bid Vince and Vinny, father and son co-owners of the marina farewell promissing to return today (which I did) to pay my bill. We had an uneventful drive home and even managed to back into the driveway without wiping out the admirals car. I know some of you guys have trouble backing up trailers but for me, it's no problemo. Must be the way my brain works...or doesn't!
   Today she recieved a good cleaning with On-Off to remove the dark spots above her waterline. Next it's removing the mast to store in the backyard where I promise this year I'll fix that dang anchor light! I haven't broke this news to the admiral but I'm toying with building a Stimson shed in my side yard so I can complete all the repairs and mods this winter. She's warming up to sailing but obstructing the view from 5 south facing windows might be pushing it.
Bob23
(ps: Thanks Allen for that great shot of my boat. Who's that fat guy aboard?)   

Eagleye

Bob,
Yes it is sad indeed to see the season end.  Yesterday I removed Miss Nissan and rid the Madame of any water collection areas that might freeze as the temps have already been dropping below freezing. I will reluctantly continue the process of preparing her for her winter's nap.  I have decided to rig up something similar to your wrapping setup so I can keep her close for winter projects.

Quote from: Bob23 on November 10, 2013, 07:26:55 PM
  (ps: Thanks Allen for that great shot of my boat. Who's that fat guy aboard?)  

You're welcome for the pic.  Is that the Barnegat Light in the center of the shot?  What fat guy?

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Judging by the angle of the sun, I think that's the nuke plant. Oldest in the country...makes one feel very secure.
Bob23
(ps: Stay tuned for the upcoming 2nd Annual Mid Winter Gathering of the East Coast Compac-o-nauts!)

DougN

Bob,now I know where you,re at.I worked on the Oyster Creek plant in 1980 and it was old then.Never having been to the ocean I went down a few days early,camped on the beach,bought some crab traps and tried crabbing.Luckily some locals took pity and gave me some much needed guidance.I thought the crabs were like turtles and the soft shells meant they were sick so I was throwing them back.Are you still thinking about putting up a Stimson shed?I wanted to put one up last year but got sidetracked,now you have me thinking about this year.The river starting icing over this morning so I'm running out of time.

Bob23

Hi Doug...great crabbing story! I bet those soft shells loved you! Even though the plant is old and on a regular basis something goes wrong, we are assured by the owners and NRC that it's completely safe...yeah.
My father in law worked on that plant...don't know what years. Does Otto Hansen ring a bell?
I'd like to put up a Stimson but really don't have the room. Our house has 5 large windows facing south and we'd loose that if I did the shed. I'd rather keep the natural light. There's a Stimson article in the current Small Craft Advisor and a more thorough article in Good Old Boat maybe a year ago.
Bob23

DougN

Hi Bob....I had been working on permit with our NYC local when they asked if I'd be interested in going down to the Oyster Creek project.They were installing emergency ventilation in the reactor room with the reactor running.Being young,I figured......COOL.Training was 10 hrs a day for a week, pretty intensive.I had my air card then so they let me train with an oxygen re-breather,high-tech at that time.They had a call out for 4 men,they hired 28.The end of the last day when they filed the paper work there were 2 of us left.That same night I got called back to Detroit.Had to leave the next morning.So never did get to see the reactor room.I had been booming for about 6 months so it was time to go home.It was a pretty cool adventure for a young guy and I had forgotten all about it until I saw the photo posted.I went on google-maps and I don't remember so much development around there.But that was a long time ago.....Doug

Banana Cakes

Quote from: Bob23 on November 05, 2013, 03:45:54 AM
   The inevitable has happened...Sunday I pulled the sails off the boat thus officially ending the pathetically short 2013 season which was not without high points.  I had intended to sail on Saturday but a last minute customer meeting was requested so I missed that. Turns out we had zero wind on Saturday anyway. "No worries, mate- there's always Sunday". No worries indeed- just rain instead. After church, and while watching the showers descend, I spent the morning finishing up a trailer modification I had started on Saturday afternoon and finally made it to the boat at about noonish.
   Skies were clearing slowly and the NNW wind bekoned me but one sorta knows when it's time. I like a clear, dry day when I begin the decommisioning ritual because I raise the sails in the slip, hose 'em off thoroughly and then let them dry in the wind. Lines and boom are then removed, radio taken out and the mast is readied for removal. All the above was completed as the sky cleared nicely and the same North wind blew, reminding me that I'd chosen a good day to begin the decommisioning. Sad, yes but as we all know- any ending is followed by a beginning! Fall rowing season is at hand!
   To close out the day, I mixed up a Dark and Stormy and sat in the fading light planning in my head the winter projects that will appear on my to-do list. Yes, I keep Gosslings rum, ginger ale and lime juice on board at all times...for medicinal purposes, mind you!
   Of course the aforementioned high points are notable: The boat making it through Hurricane Sandy, the Infamous Barnegat Bay Bash 2013 and meeting up there with old friends and new, having JT visit my home port of Surf City, NJ in his 23 albeit listing a bit to starboard. And not having the boat break loose in the long stretch of NE winds we experienced this fall. Exploring some new waters near Cedar Run, NJ was a first.
   So raise your glasses with me mates: Here's to voyages past and voyages future, however long or short- may they be fully enjoyed and appreciated- you never know which one is your last!
Bob23

I was the same way with Banana Cakes, it was a three day event, each ending in watching our YouTube videos and reminiscing on our adventures.  Next season will continue at Lake Patoka, IN. But any season ending with both boat and shipmates, is a great way to end any season!  Hope to actually sail with ya next season!

Bob23

I'd be looking forward to sailing with you.
What's weird is while you were posting on my thread just now, I was posting on yours! Twilight Zone stuff.....
Bob23