Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Bob,

Interior space is the most obvious compromise with the Eclipse.  Hopefully she'll point a bit higher than the 23 to offset that huge negative.  Nice to hear that I won't be giving up any speed vs the 23.  Part of what helped me decide was the fact that even though had intended to weekend and possibly cruise for a week at a time on the 23 I never did the entire time I owned it.  I went from a 32' boat to the 23 and it felt cramped enough that I came to the conclusion I wasn't too likely to really spend many, if any, nights aboard.  I had intended to trailer the 23 to distant sailing venues, but it turned out to be enough work to rig that I never did that either.  Since I own a slip with Lk MI access both the 23 and now the Eclipse will be slipped during the summer months.

I'm at a point where comfort and convenience has become more of a priority so we decided that eclipse would allow us to sail in a lot more locations by trailering to them and we'd just stay at a B&B or hotel for accommodations with real beds and air conditioning.  Apparently I'm getting soft in my old age.  Plus we bought an RV a year ago so we've been doing our overnight stays in that.

Fred

HeaveToo

The Compac 23 is sneaky fast.  When I had mine in certain conditions my Uncle's Catalina 34 fell behind.  Then again I was flying an assymetrical.  Still, I was towing a dinghy so what gives!  He had newer sails, at the time, too.

There are things that I miss about that boat but if I had her I would still miss her.  Having an almost 3 year old daughter takes a lot of my time.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

So the 2021 sailing season seems to have come to an end... I was out for my last sail last weekend in light winds; overcast skies. I'm always amazed at the versatility of the 23. They're giving an undeserved reputation as not being good in light air. Nothing could be further from the truth as we ghosted along at 2.5 knots in barely a whisper of wind. And to be able to sail the same boat in 30 knots plus while still feeling safe and having fun attests to the seaworthiness of my little Koinonia!

She'll be hauled out this Tuesday and wrapped up in her winter jammies. This summer saw us not sailing all that much, work and weather and rowing races seemed to get in the way. But she waited ever so patiently for me and we did get to part the waters of the Barnegat Bay a few times, with each sail being delightful in it's own way.

Cheers friends!
Bob23

brackish

Ironically,  I just launched yesterday.  It has been the weirdest of years in the ownership of my 23.  The  three year major maintenance became four years because of ongoing trips to recover the house in Mexico Beach.  The usual haul out time of mid August (too hot, windless and crowded on the lake to sail) had to be pushed out to mid October because of health issues, first mine then the Admiral's.  The shorter days, colder weather, and an aging guy doing the work extended the time from three weeks to five weeks. But back in the water, mast still down, I think we get a good day mid next week to put it up, tune the standing rigging and make her sail ready, just in time for the worst sailing weather of the year. But, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful to be where I am with this. A stunningly beautiful trip up the Natchez Trace to take her back.

Bob23

Late start to the 2022 sailing season, I'm hoping to launch the might Koinonia this weekend. Too much work and lots of rowing has delayed my little yacht in getting her first swim this year but she's looking good with a re vamped bilge pump system, some new solar ventilation and an upgraded solar controller and new battery. And a fresh coat of bottom paint.  Everything else is just hunky dory. Someday I'll re learn how to post photos!
Bob23

Bob23

Today the mighty Koinonia will be hauled out for the official end of the 2022 sailing season here in the South of NJ! I didn't get to sail as much as I'd liked, lots of rowing and rowing races and of course that old monkey on my back known as "work". The beginning of the season most of the time was spent on more rudder position experiments with total success! No more lee helm and just a touch of weather helm! Sure made for a more pleasant sail and she's a bit faster too! The wood foiled rudder blade that I built many moons ago was improved by fiddling with the position.

Soon she'll be tucked away in her winter jammies and I'll start my 2023 list! Thankfully, it never ends!
Cheers mates! And a very happy Thanksgiving to you all!