Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

2014 update:
   I finally, finally, FINALLY got the boat covered. I decided to re engineer some of the PVC framework which got a bit more complicated (big surprise there) than I envisioned. Plus I was working with rather small amounts of time here and there. Yesterday, I finally was able to hoist the canvas cover over the framework and complete the job. I swear that cover gains weight over the summer-it feels heavier every fall! Someone suggested that maybe I'm getting weaker. Nah....not yet! But the Fisher Canvas cover is on and ready for rain, snow, hail and wind. Next I install my work lights and get to gettin' the winter to-do list done.
   So now she's officially in winter hibernation getting a much deserved rest. Rest up, O Koinoina, for in 2014 we will hopefully explore new waters.
Bob23

Eagleye

Bob,
I'm glad to hear that Kiononia is snuggled in and protected from the ravages of winter.  Your setup motivated me to do something similar to cover the Madame for the winter.  I used 1" pvc conduit for a frame.  It was quite a bit cheaper than the pvc water line!  I was fortunate to get her tucked away in December before all the ugly winter weather came.

Stay warm and safe.......
-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Thanks, Allen.
   Looks like pretty country. And nice snow...we have none left down here so no cross country skiing for this landlocked sailor.
   Very nice cover. I'm sure the Madame appreciates it!
Bob23

Eagleye

That was a few weeks ago so there isn't much left here either..... ::)

Bob23

This is the first day of summer...and Koinonia still sits on her trailer, still adorning her winter canvas cover. Now she's normally a quiet girl; doesn't like to stir the pot or anything but as I walked alongside her today, she really let loose. I'll try to recap the conversation here as best I can:
K: "Well hello there stranger. Stopping by to say hello? I don't suppose you have much time for me considering you've been spending so much time with HER".
B23: "Huh? Her? I don't know what you mean."
K: " Oh c'mon. You think I don't see all the times you and that Guideboat disappear for hours on end? Don't think I don't know what's going on. I wasn't born yesterday, you know."
B23: "I'm training for the Blackburn Challenge. I have to row long distances and that takes time."
K: "Yeah. And I'm training for the Americas Cup. Do you really think I'm blind? That I don't see the way you look at her; the way you run your hand along her gunll, the way you hose her off after every row and the way you carress her cherry trim? Oh, I forgot, you are just wiping the excess water beads off. You've never done that with me, have you? Sure, maybe in the beginning you pampered me but I can see the writing on the wall. Ha! Bob23 the esteemed moderator...you're nothing but a 2 timing wharf rat".

See what I mean? Is she mad or what. Trust me, she'll calm down after I remove her cover.

K:" And that's another thing. It's a winter cover. W-I-N-T-E-R as in cold weather. Today is summer, as in hot weather. You try sitting out in the sun wearing a thick canvas sweater and see how you like it. "
B23:" I'm trying to keep you out of the elements so you can look your best. That's all."
K: "Oh. Now I don't look my best, is that what you mean? I guess next to that svelte Guideboat, my butt is looking really big. Oh- now you think I'm fat? I've just about had it with you. If  I could list myself on the CPYOA classifieds, I'd find someone who'll appreciate me for who I am."
B23:"This is getting ridiculous, don't you think? Guess you forgot about the wax facial I gave you last fall. And the new GPS/ chartplotter. And all the times I kept your teak in perfect condition...that really turned heads wherever we went. And the bottom paint, the chart table, the enlarged slideout stove. And what about your new wardrobe of sails, guess you overlooked them, too, right? How about the ventilation systems, the dorade box, the aft cowl vent. I guess you also forgot about the wood foiled rudder I built, huh? I've been busy working too, you know. It's not like a spend every waking moment with the Guideboat, who has a name, thank you- you can refer to her by her proper name, "Poco Loco".
K:" Well, I may have jumped the gun a bit...I'm just feeling a little lonely...most of the other sailboats are in the water and here I sit. You have been pretty good to me. When are we going for a swim?"
B23:"Soon. You'll be in soon, swinging on your mooring and making all the other boats go gaga. You haven't lost it, old girl- I mean, beautiful. Sure Poco Loco is young and slender and tanned and fast and she wears those skimpy see-through cane binikis...."
K:" See what I mean? Oooo you skippers are all the same. All it takes is a young skinny scantilly clad guideboat...."
B23:" Trust me...it's just a fling. There is no other sailboat for me but you."
K:: Ok...I'm just in a bad mood. I still love you. Can you spend sometime with me tomorrow?"
B23:" Well... I had planned to row a bit in the morning........................."

After I came to, I had an awfully large bump on my head where the anchor had mysteriously let go from it's holder as I was walking under it. Never did that before. Strange. She hasn't spoken to me since but we've been through this before. If I didn't know she was born in Florida, I'd swear she was Italian.

K:"I heard that. Something wrong with Italians now? Oh, my temper...well, we all know about yours. Shall I tell the folks about the time you----"
B23:"I get the point. I promise tomorrow, if I have time, to remove your canvas winter cover. Please remember that there's more to life that sailing and sailboats. There's work, too."
K:" Yeah, I know. That's why I'm a sailboat. All I have to do is sail and let you do all the work!"
B23:" What a girl!"

Tim Gardner

Bob, get that gal in the water!

Run your hand down her tumblehome flank and let her know who it is that makes it possible for her to be the boat she is.

Whew!  Gotta go now !

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Ok. The Blackburn Challenge has come and gone. And CLR 2014 is over too. Sailing aboard Mike and Brenda's O'PacDay 25, has spurred me to action. I've pulled Koinoina out of her winter hibernation nest and plan to have her go for her first swim of the season a week from this Saturday. If I waited any longer I think she'd disown me. I'm looking forward to some great end of summer sailing. I'd been working way too much and being aboard the 25 just reminded me of the feel of being on the water, the magic way you get transformed into a kid again, even if just for a few hours.
Life's too short to be a landlubber!
Bob23

Bob23

Please sit down in a comfortable chair before you read on:
  Against all odds, defeating the naysayers and despite the demons from procrastinatoria, Koinonia was launched yesterday and now rests peacefully in her boat slip. Yes, this is not a joke, misprint or propaganda: She is in. The mast raising went the smoothest of any year yet with my brother doing the initial hoist. All shrouds, stays and halyards were in place. The dunking by travellift was uneventful with the usual $30.00 bill plus a case of beer for the owners.
  Of course, Miss Nissan, size 8, decided it would be apropo to play a small prank and so decided not to pump water. No problemo. We motored over to the slip just fine. The local dealer had the impeller in stock, I picked it up today, installed it (1st time) and amazingly enough, it worked! Tomorrow I'll bend on the sails, tune the rig and prepare for a shakedown cruise on Tuesday after work.
  This is all leading up to Thursday when I'll take my friend Kathy out for her very first sailboat ride. I really get a thrill when I take someone out for the first time...the look on thier face is priceless.  
This is a very dear old friend who has some motion sickness problems. And she's going out with me? Am I nuts or is she? I figure with the way I sail, she'll either be cured or move to Kansas! I hope the former. It really makes owning the boat so very meaningful when it's shared with others.  2 years ago, long time readers may remember, I took my 80 year old friend Ed out for his very first sail. What a thrill!
  Everyone was wondering where in the world Koinoina, "The prettiest boat in the harbor",  had gone. Many people, and I'm not jesting, count on seeing her on her mooring and have said that summer wasn't complete without her out there. Fortunately, I didn't wait till fall...there's still some summer sailing time to enjoy.
 Thanks for everyone providing encouragement, good natured ribbing and general good support. Any of you are welcome aboard anytime. Dark and Stormies are always available on board my boat. Bring your own ice!
Bob23 out

MacGyver

Remember to have some water for a after puke rinse!

When I used to bike, that is what we would do, get sick while riding and then water up and rinse a few times and keep going!

Mac

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

I don't think we'll see any puke. My 23 is a very well behaved and proper lady. My friend Kathy
has had good success wearing those bracelets. In the past, she was unable to fly in any plane but now she's been able to fly to the west coast with no problems. She finds that ginger works well, too. Of course, if I could get some of Gingers "Tie me to the mainmast", that might be fun too.
Bob23

Bob23

KATHYS FIRST SAIL:
  This past Thursday marked the happening of 2 major, globally historic events which occurred at the same time: Koinonia went out for her first sail of the summer (?) season and my friend Kathy experienced her first sail ever. Unfortunately, the press was not on hand to record this epic event so you'll have to take my word as an unbiased amateur journalist.
  Normally I like to take the first shakedown cruise alone just in case that Murphy character has any tricks up his sleeve, but on this perfect weather day, he was no where to be found. I think that beforehand Koinoina threatened him: "You screw up this day and it'll be your last". Yes, she's a well behaved yacht but not one to be reckoned with. She knows how to get her way.
  I knew before they met that K and K would like each other...they are very similar: Neither has much patience for bs, both are attractive and turn heads where ever they go and have great senses of humor and both are classy, one of a kind women of high standards and strong character who don't enjoy sitting still doing nothing but would rather be out in the action experiencing life. No afternoon Jepoardy TV for these ladies!
  The winds were forecast to be light with clear and sunny weather and tame conditions. Anyone who has sailed Barnegat Bay can attest that at her worst, the Bay can serve up anything from calm to white knuckle; I've had waves as high as the top of the my stern rail so I was glad the forecast was turning out to be correct. We motored out of the slip uneventfully which was my first clue that the boat was showing off. I knew she would. Motoring east in Waretown Creek towards the bay, I gave Kathy the tiller for 2 reasons: I want her to experience sailing, not just observe. And I thought having something to concentrate on would stave off the feared motion sickness that we both wanted to avoid.
  Once out in open water, Kathy held us into the wind while I raised the full main- no reefing today- winds were 5 to 10 SSE. Once the main was set, we fell off, I doused the motor and unfurled the 135. And we were finally sailing!!! Of course, I was pretty close to being in heaven: The first, and long awaited sail of the season aboard Koinoina, and being with one of my best friends on her first sail was almost too much fun for me to bear. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had a silly, shit-eating grin from ear to ear! Kathy quickly developed a feel for the tiller and held it for most of the time with me making some minor corrections. Heck, she even managed to catch up with a CataHuntersomething 30! And that dreaded motion sickness never dared to rear it's ugly face to spoil this perfect day.
  We spent a few perfect hours where Kathy executed nearly perfect tacks with Koinonia responding to the tiller in her predictably proper manner. I even had her do an intentional gybe which was taken in stride by all parties aboard. We really didn't have any destinations in mind because I wanted to stay close to the marina in case Mr. motion sickness showed up. He never did and we had a truly perfect day on the water. We are both gabbers who've known each other for 44 years but have hardly seen each other so we had lots to catch up on.
  After a perfect few hours, the word lunch was spoken so we decided to head in where, once again, the boat was seen showing off  for her new friend. Sails were furled, lowered and tied and we quietly motored in reluctantly ending this perfect day and joining that segment of mankind who dwells on land. After all was stowed, we headed off to the Captains Inn Tiki Bar for lunch which proved to be mediocre food and above mediocre prices. But I couldn't have thought of a more perfect day in which to pay hooky from work.
  I mostly sail solo which I love. But having a close friend aboard to share it with was a blessing almost beyond description and we are looking forward to more time on the water once Koinonia is moved to her home mooring today. And maybe herein is the real joy of owning a sailboat: One gets to share with others the joy of the experience of sailing. But you only get one chance to take someone out for thier first sail and the thrill makes all the sanding, painting and just general sweat work and costs involved well worth it. Ayuh. The look on Kathys face during her first sail is priceless.
  Thanks for enduring this once again lengthy writing. I have a hard time using just a few words
and even my text messages have been called novels! Now some of you will understand the closing words; some will not. I know my boat talks to me but Thursday was the first time I'd heard her speak to someone else. As we departed, Koinonia was heard speaking her farewell to Kathy: "You are welcome back aboard anytime. I most enjoyed your company and tender hand on the tiller. I think we're gonna be good friends". Honest, folks- I heard it with my own ears!
Bob23

Eagleye

Bob23

Happy to announce that with one week to go before Labor Day weekend, Koinonia has been sailed to her home mooring in Surf City, NJ marking my official start of the 2014 sailing season.  Yeah, I'm a bit late this year. Yesterday we enjoyed a brisk sail with NNE winds of 15 to 20 scooting us right along in bright sunshine. After about 2 hours, we sailed right up to the mooring with no "eventful" events taking place meaning that I did not over shoot my target as I have in the past. I try to avoid motoring up to the mooring, prefering rather to take the opportunity to further hone my skills in boat handling. Trust me, it does not always go that smoothly. But yesterday it did and she spent last night, her first night on the mooring looking more beautiful than ever.
  Looking forward to some sunset sails and of course, the BBB 2014!
Bob23

Bob23

Since we last left the intrepid "Koinonia", she was resting on her summer mooring in Surf City, NJ looking as beautiful as ever. We had some nice end of summer sailing but today, I motored up to Long Key Marina in Waretown where I secured a slip for some fall adventures. It's really pleasant being in a slip- much less to do when the boat's put away. When on a mooring, I'm always prepared for some unexpected blow...so far, she's endured 60 mph NE storms...but I lost lots of sleep that night. Not so much to worry about in a marina. Lots of blue collar powerboat fishing types- my kind of people- the PBR will flow freely!
   Hoping to venture further north than ever, maybe up to the head of Barnegat Bay and up the Metedeconk River. Stay tuned and if your'e in the area, let's go for a sail!
Bob23

Bob23

I did my first solo overnight Friday. I cut out of work a bit early, procured some provisions, and proceeded to sail to Tice's in a consistent 20 knot breeze where Koinonia  exceeded hull speed a few times. The girl likes to go, what else can I say? Arriving about an hour and a half before sunset, I had plenty of time to set 2 anchors, Bahama style as the forecast was for the winds to hold all night. And they did as well as the anchors. BBB er's from this year will remember the large number of boats present. Not so tonight. Twas just me and a much larger and older dark green sloop anchored to the NW. It's fun but eerie being so alone out there.
   Dinner was my leftover sub from Friday's lunch, some crackers and cheddar  and, of course, a cold PBR. The only problem with overnighting this late in the season, is the days are so short so after some reading, writing, all the while listening to our local public classical music radio station, I crashed early. Too early.
   But a full nights sleep was not necessary because in winds that strong, I'm up every hour checking the compass for a wind switch and making sure we were still tied to both anchors. The bottom at Tice's is really wonderful sand and this time of year, most of the eel grass is gone so both anchors had a firm grip, which was much appreciated by the boat and the skipper.
   I was up well before sunrise and made some French press coffee (A Koinonia standard) and then proceeded to row the famous racing dingy "Little Fellow" over to the dock, walk to the beach and take my ritual pre dawn swim in the might North Atlantic which had some big surf thanks to the hurricane bearing down on poor little Bermuda. Hope she's ok. Back at the boat, a simple pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich was made by the cook and enjoyed by the captain, all being the same bloke. More coffee followed.
   After a bit of cleanup, it was time to sail. And sail we did. The wind started out light but gradually increased to the forecast 18 to 20 but, being under single reef, she took it all in stride and a wonderful day of sailing was had by all. All being me and the boat. There were many sailboats out yesterday, most of us realizing that, this time of year, you want to grab every warm windy day you can because it's coming to an end. As I write this at 4:54 am, it's 48 degrees out and I hear some colder weather is coming. Of course, many informal races were had and Koinonia, even with dingy in tow, held her own. After what seemed like hours, well it was hours, it was time to return to the marina about an hour before sunset. After entering her slip and tying up, I struck up a conversation with and older gent who said " I'd just come from the Annapolis show last week, saw all the new boats but none as pretty as yours". I thought I saw my boat blush a bit. It's nice to see that there are people still around who like the traditional look in sailboats. He himself was a powerboater who had a wonderful looking fishing boat with a salty Maine look about her. Almost plumb bow, quite pronounced sheer and a small cabin that looked welcoming.
   I'm looking forward to some more wonderful fall sailing...best time of year around these parts. Of course there's much more to this story but you've endured much of my blabbing already so adios, amigos!
Bob23