a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Today was mast raising day. My sailing buddy and partner in crime in construction, Dennis, came down to the marina to help, as he always graciously does every year. All went pretty well considering this was the first time I've ever raised the mast while the boat was in her slip. And we encoutered a few wierdities: At the upper shrouds, the turnbuckle fitting that holds the cleavis pin was short of reaching the chainplate by over 1/2" on each side. They should've lined up pretty well perfectly. The forestay should've easily reached the fitting on the bow pupit but was also short. Since stainless steel rigging is not known to shrink over the winter, I could only conclude that the boat actually changes shape slightly when in the water. It would make sense that the pressure on the hull would tend to pinch the gunwales together slightly thus forcing the mast up a bit. Has anyone else encounted such a thing or should I stop having my first tequila before breakfast?
   In any event, all went well, no lines were fouled too bady, and the mast is pretty straight. Weather forecast for the ENTIRE REST OF THE WEEK IS FOR CHANCES OF THUNDERSTORMS!!!! I can't believe it...we had great weather until I put my boat in the water....Hmmm...!
   Sails go on tomorrow if work and weather permit. Then the first sail of the season...I can hardly wait!
Bob23

wes

Bob - oh yes, absolutely. Any trailering guy will confirm this. There's a noticeable difference in tension when the boat is in the water and the hull, supported by water, assumes its natural shape, compared to on the hard when gravity pulls the deck and hull down toward the keel. There's a surprising amount of flex in a fiberglass boat. I always set up my rigging tension on the water.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

jthatcher

hey bob,
  great to hear that  your mast is up...   sorry to be so unsociable..   i was at the marina the last three days..  fixing  and  washing and waxing and shopping ..   it was a busy time..    i found that my back stay got mangled in the storm.. had to send it to   mass.   to have a new one made quickly..  i sent it overnight yesterday..  got a call from the guy today and  was told that it would be in the mail tomorrow afternoon..    of course,   i understand  that on a site like this  we should not do commercials..   so i won't say that   Rigging Only is the place to go for  rigging!    :) 

i am back home for now.. headed back down  on thursday if all goes well.  my wife is going to drop me off. and then i am on my own!   want to sail to new york with me?   leave next monday?      i need to spend a couple of days breaking in the new motor..     i won't have a car, but   i will let you know when i am down there, just in case you happen to be passing through TR...   good luck with your sails tomorrow..  jt

Bob23

Wes:
   And just when I thought I knew everything! In that respect, I suppose it would be prudent to loosen the rigging before the boat is pulled out of the water. Interesting...I guess I just never thought of it before. I wonder just how much flex there is fore and aft? I wonder if that was the reason for the gentle bow I found in my mast a few years ago? Ah, just another of the mysterys of life!

JT:
   Great to hear from you. I'd love to sail to NY but as usual, work gets in the way. Gimme a call when you're down- maybe we can sneak out for a local sail aboard either yours or mine. I figured you were down but very busy and I could not have made it up to TR to socialize. As you can imagine, work is pretty busy. But maybe over the weekend we could get together.
Bob23

NateD

Yes, the hull flexes enough to make a difference in rig tune between the trailer and the water. If I tune on the trailer and put the boat in the water, the rig will be a little loose (at least after a week in the water, not sure how quickly the hull changes shape). So I'm surprised your shrouds/stay came up short on the water. Is it possible that your backstay was somehow tightened over the winter?

I suppose depending on how quickly the shape of the hull changes and when you raised/lowered the mast might explain it too. If it takes some time for the hull to adjust, and if you removed the mast immediately after pulling the boat out of the water, then the shrouds would be at their "short" length. If you launched the boat this year, and then immediately tried to raise the mast and rig on the water the boat would not have had a chance to retake the shame shape it had when you pulled it out of the water last year and the shrouds/stays would be too "short". So you had to lengthen the shrouds/stay to get them to fit. The way to "prove" the theory will be to check the rig tune the next time you're at the boat. If it has loosened up then your boat was not back to it's in-water fighting form yet when you rigged it. All of this conjecture assumes a relatively slow adjustment period (days) for the hull to take on it's in-water and out-of-water shape, which may or may not be true.

Bob23

Hi Nate:
   The boat sat in the water for about 2 1/2 days until we raised the mast. And we did indeed remove the mast immediately after the boat was pulled 2 days before Hurricane Sandy came to town. All of this makes sense but it really confirms my theory: my boat is a 1st class pranksteress! It's not the first time she's played tricks on me...and it probably won't be the last!
Bob23

Bob23

Koinonia is officially ready to sail!
   After dinner last night I drove down to the marina to bend on the sails. I like to do this when it's not busy; I find that I can concentrate better and am less likely to screw up a line or two. And usually the wind is down in the evening. All went well and I discovered yet another reason to set all sails and lines when no one is around: There's no one to witness when you start putting your jib on upside down! After that mid course correction, all was completed before it started raining. No tools went overboard, no battens were forgotten, and all lines including reefing lines were present and accounted for. I'll do a final rig tuning before setting out for the official 2013 inaugural sail.
Bob23...stay tuned as the intrepid Capt. Bob23 sets out for Tice's Shoals to see for himself the damage wrought by Sandy.

HeaveToo

Glad to hear that you are good to go!  There isn't much else that can beat that feeling you get when you look at your boat and you know that it is cruise ready.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

jthatcher

hi bob..  are you going to tice's    on saturday?      i took Adagio out for a 2 hour engine cruise  this morning..  breaking in the new engine..  then i got back and puttered around a bit.  got the bimini rigged and ready to go..    i was waiting for a back stay which i had ordered from  mass..   it came a little after lunch time..   the guys in the yard put up the mast..    spent the rest of the afternoon bending on the sails..   i am ready to go!   just about :)    give me a call if  the weather looks good and you are headed out tomorrow..   i don't have a car, but i could meet you on the water..  jt

Bob23

I am planning to go. A last minute text from one of my customers has me working first thing this morning but I'm still planning to go when Im done. ETD is about 10.  That could change if I encounter problems at the job. That never happens, right?! If the thunderstorm threat increases I may abort the mission but  I'll give you a call on the shoe phone...maybe we can get together before you head north.
Bob23

Bob23

Voila!
  Against the odds of work, weather and time, yesterday Koinonia and I went out for our first sail of the season. Rain and thunderstorm forecast bedamned, I set out anyway with Tice's Shoals as my destination as I was eager to see how our friend Sandy treated one of my favorite achorages and the scene of the infamous Barnget Bay Bashes, the next one of which will be posted here at the site soon.
  A light south wind greeted us as we motored away from Long Key Marina and out Waretown Creek into the wild Barnegat Bay. I turned her up into the wind and up went the main, without a hitch. (A note here: Longtime readers of this thread are aware that my boat is a little pranksteress and I was just waiting for her to play her first trick of the season on me.) Next, out came the genoa and then we pointed North-NE towards our destination taking the wind from our starboard quarter. She was taking the small waves in stride and in a little over an hour, after the wind picked up substantially, we arrived and safely achored in what my depth sounder said was 5 to 6 feet of water. Turned out I was right on the edge of a small ledge and as she swung, the depth went down to about 3 1/2 feet. No problem and kinda good as I was able to wade into shore, not having the trusty "Little Fellow" dingy. There was about 3 dozen other boats there but with the good weather, the inevitable influx of yahoos and Snookites would soon descend upon us. (Another note: A Snookite is my word for that most detesable show "Jersey Shore" of which I can proudly say I've never seen one episode. And Snookie is at the top of my list of the "Most Detestable Persons of All Time". 'Nuff said 'bout that.
  A nice wade in soon brought me to the rugged shoreline of Island Beach State Park. If you've never been here, most of the following will mean little but to Marty and JT, the other attendees of the Barnegat Bay Bash 2012, it may be of interest. I had heard that the wooden boardwalk that leads from the bay to the beach was removed by Sandy but it aint true. However, she did remove the first 200 feet of boardwalk and those wonderful high sand dunes. The dunes did thier job and held the ocean back except where the 4 wheel drive access road is. Yes, the same one where we saw the Ford Mustang stuck last year. That was funny. I thought everyone knew that Mustangs were not off road cars. Guess not everyone.
  I spent a bit of time surveying the remaining dunes and noticed the beach was much narrower than when we were there. I was high tide so that could be part of it but it sure looks different to me. Years ago, the towns would collect used Christmas trees and lay them in the dunes to catch sand to help build up the dunes. I was amazed to see trees that were preserved but probably 30 years old or more, laying there, end to end with sand stuck inbetween. They did thier job nobally. Why the towns discontined that practice is a mystery to me. I gues is was too simple and cheap a remedy.
  I soon headed back to the yacht and after climbing aboard, opened the official first Pabst aboard the boat and, pouring some in the bay, declared to one and all the official start of the sailing season...at least for me. After a bit of reflection time which seems to be enhanced by a cold beer on a warm day, it was time to depart. By this time, the SSE wind had picked up considerably, not an unsual occurance for a summer afternoon on the Barnegat Bay. After pulling anchor and motoring out to deeper water, I dropped the rudder, raised the main and unfurled the genny once again. Immediately I knew I had to tie if the first reef so after coming about to a starboard tack, did exactly that. And rolled up some headsail, too.
  I knew a long sail was in store when we started encountering 2 to 4 foot waves. The 23's are heavy but they don't like to take a pounding. So we slogged on, heading for the mainland. The water depth was fine, a concern of mine based on stories I'd heard of parts of the bay filling in from sand pushed over the barrier beaches by our little Sandy. After a few tacks and lots of wind and pounding, we approached the entrance to Waretown Creek. Here, Koinoina decided to pull something from her ditty bag of gags: The starboard genoa sheet jammed in the standing block on the track and jammed darn good. I'd been meaning to replace it, never go around to it and now was in a minor fix. Usually, just a good pull in reverse unjams it but with this wind force, no way. It was stuck and stuck good. At this point, I thought I heard Koinonia chuckle but it could've been the wind...maybe. As I pondered cutting the sheet (Yikes! I'd have to buy a new one!) one of the backyard mechanic parts of my brain kicked in: A screwdriver can fix almost anything! I grabbed such tool, and after a few minutes of prying, pulling and puffing, the sheet came free. Soon I rolled up the genny, dropped the reefed main and headed for the barn, experiencing an unusual amount of motor helm.
  The next hurdle to be jumped was entering the slip, something I almost fear. I can't seem to master this manuver to save my life. In some circles, I'm called the pinball wizard. I don't like those circles. And to make matters worse, as I approached I saw a boat in the next slip that wasn't there when I left. To leward, of course. But all went well and soon we were tied up and putting things ship-shape. 'Twas a wonderful sail, and both me and foredeck got a good washing while coming back. I like the taste of saltwater washing over the bow onto my face. Warm salt water, if you please.
  If all goes well, on Thursday, the 4th of July, I plan to sail down to her home mooring where I will, as in past years, fly Old Glory from her backstay for the weekend. She will thus resume her place as "the prettiest boat in the cove." Not my words, but true words nonetheless.
Bob23

MKBLK

Sure glad the beach and the boardwalk are still there! Sounds like a bit of an adventure coming back. Is it too much to ask for a repeat of BBB2012? Sans unscheduled swim of course (but it was fun, wasn't it?)! Count me in for BBB2013. Where do I register?

JT - How's everything going? When is your trip to northern waters scheduled? Will you make the bash?

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Smier

I've been searching the site for any hints of BBB 2013?   I'm tan, rested, and ready...  I also can probably scrounge a couple crew members!

Bob23

Smier:
   Check the General Annoucements for the latest BBB 2013 news!
Bob23

Bob23

Todays light SSE winds gave a fine sail aboard the intrepid "Koinoina". Got done work a bit early and after some phone calls, decided to head out for a few hours. Although undoing all the redundant lines that I have to protect the moored boat can take about 28 minutes, soon I was sailing, hunting for my brother who sails an old but fine O'day Mariner. We have an ongoing race and today was this years first heat.
  Soon I found the scoundrel and we engaged in our usual rutualistic marine pastime- blasting each other with water cannons at close range, pirate style. We can spend a lot of time coming about, approaching each other as close as possible and unloading a hefty blast at each other. Like a couple of kids, we are! No one can ever accuse us of being too serious.
  After we'd both gotten pretty wet, it was time to head in. We separated and the mighty Koinoina pulled ahead of the might PescaJumba because I had found some sea breeze that he missed, being a bit too far out into the bay. But soon he caught up and it was time for each of us to sail up to our mooring. (We're moored only about 100' apart.) Now I kinda pride myself on my abilitiy to sail up the float motorless. Builds boat handling skill and I've done it many time, mostly with out incident but sometimes with great incident. What was to happen today was to top the great incident cake!
   On the last tack, I always roll up the genny, sail under main alone and fall off the wind enough to have enough speed to coast up alongside the mooring. All went well and I made a good approach, maybe a bit too fast, but I can deal with that. What I didn't realize was that I forgot to do 2 of the basic things that I need to always do: Haul up on the topping lift to depower the main and loosen the tiller lock so the rudder  is free. I don't know exacly how it all happened but I ended up with the dingy towing line wrapped around the rudder and the boat facing stern to the wind! So with the main out, the boat was trying sail away from the mooring with me on the foredeck trying to haul in whatever line I could grab with the boat hook.
  After about 10 minutes of this madness, I eventually got hold of the mooring lines and secured them to the forward cleat. I then managed to untangle the tow line from around the now raised rudder blade and secure it to the mother ship. Now I've had some major mooring screw ups in the past but this was one for the books! Fortunately, the shoreline was not that crowded so it wasn't that much of a show. In the past, I've performed similiar feats of nautical lunacy before a crowd gathered to watch the sunset...a little humility is good for the soul!
Bob23