a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harrier

I had looked up the word Koinonia previously.  I was curios of its meaning.  I assumed it was Hawaiian ??? ;D.   Wikipedia has a nice write up.  After reading it I came to really appreciate the deeper meaning.  Great name for a boat!  Anyway, if looking to stay with the "Koinonia" theme, how about the English translation "Communion"?

Billy

Fellowship- that's why I said "little fellow"
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Harrier

Ah - Clever!  I didn't make the connection.
I notice in your profile signature you indicate "no name".  Not your style?

Bob23

Duh: I must be really slow because I didn't make the connection either...and it's my boat! Duh! I like Little Fellow.
In other news: Koinonia will recieve her fresh coat of bottom paint today. I'm trying Interlux water based paint this year. Seems to have much more cuprous oxide than Aqua-guard. In the past I've used Pettit Hydrocoat with great results. But it's a bit harder to get locally and the word on the street is that the Pettit company is quite hard to deal with. That's why all the local shops refuse to carry Pettit products. I dunno...the paint's always been good for my uses.
Hopefully, next weekend will be launch day..can't wait! The weathers's been good, lotsa SSW winds. They (whoever they are) are still picking debris from the bay deposited here from Sandy. I've only heard a few stories of impacts of boats into submerged objects so I hope it's not going to be a problem.  If there's something to hit, I'll probably find it!
Bob23

Koinonia

Koinonia is greek and in short means communion or fellowship.  The PO named our boat but we like the name so its stuck for good!  Buying our compac 27 and never seeing the name be for I thought we would be a one and only.  To my surprise when I got on the compac site I discovered Bob here with his Koinonia.  There are actually a few of them listed in the coast guard database of names as well.

Billy

Quote from: Harrier on June 01, 2013, 06:51:16 AM
Ah - Clever!  I didn't make the connection.
I notice in your profile signature you indicate "no name".  Not your style?

No I love boat names. Just cannot think of one that suits mine. Usually I am pretty quick with stuff like this but for some reason not with my boat.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Ok, while we're on a boat naming roll, let's all put our brains together a come up with a name for Billy's 19.
Bob23

Koinonia

Our Santana 20 is Fukengruven, a regatta is a great place to look at names since racing boats get a bit goofy at times!

ahmch

"Billy b bingham" is a fantastic name

"ThreeBees" is a good name.

"the B Hive"

"Leave me B"

thats all i got.

I name all my boats after Great Aunts.  I have about 15. 

Tim Gardner

I think BBB's Nest is good.  With the dog as crew BBB's Hund.   Or maybe B Gone? Or B1935

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

I'm goin' out on a limb here but my vote for Billy's boat name is "Absolutely Necessary".
As far as my Walker Bay name, the judges had a lot to choose from....ladies and gentlemen, the envelope please...and the winner is: "Little Fellow" by Billy. For obvious reasons as discussed previously this fits well. Plus I'm not a real tall guy...actually kinda short so it's even more apropos.
   It was a close contest folks with "Ding-a-ling" grabbing many votes, "Bob's Along" was popular too, and "Chubby Chaser" was right up there.
   In an unusual move by the distinguished panel of judges, a sub name was created for the stern of the boat: "Adios Miguel". Thanks to all who participated in this game of boat naming madness.
Bob23

Greene

Quote from: Bob23 on June 05, 2013, 03:55:22 AM
  In an unusual move by the distinguished panel of judges, a sub name was created for the stern of the boat: "Adios Miguel". Thanks to all who participated in this game of boat naming madness.
Bob23

Gracias Roberto.

Miguel
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Well, we are one step closer to an actual launch. Today, I woke up Miss Nissan out of her winter hibernation. Figured that since summer is less than a week away, she's been napping long enough. Did the usual- got fresh premium gas, mixed the oil and marine Stabil, tightened the plugs and filled the ceremonial barrel with fresh water.
   After all is done, the next step is the anticipation as to how many pulls it will take to start. Any guesses here? 4? or3? How 'bout 2? If you guessed first pull, you'd be real close. She started before I had pulled the starter rope out all the way- on the first pull! Who could ask for more? I guess she likes the way I treat her when she's put away for the winter. This is the first year she was stored indoors- unheated shed.
   She sounded better than ever and ready for another season!
Bob23
Hoping for a Friday 6/21 launch. Great way to start a summer!

jthatcher

hey, bob!  i don't feel so bad knowing that  you have yet to  get the boat in the water..  in fact, my new tohatsu showed up last week, but i was in maine all week..  had a wonderful time with 8 students from school..   managed to fit in the closing for the property in Phippsburg,   ( i was beginning to doubt that we would be successful)   and  took the kids out to Monhegan Island  yesterday..   what a glorious day..   10 miles out..  and as cool a place as one can imagine..   this will surely be a cruising destination  once the boat is in maine..  in fact,  you are simply going to have to put some time aside next summer to join me!    i should be down to jersey later this week.. i will get in touch.   jt

Bob23

Sounds good. Looking forward to speaking with you on the telly. And I'd love to hang out in Maine with you sometime.
   In other news: despite all odds and the growing crowd of naysayers, Koinoina was launched today at Long Key Marina in Waretown, NJ. She looked proud and happy, hanging there in the travel lift showing off her new bottom paint. I was unable to locate anyone to help raise the mast before she was launched, so it'll hopefully happen tomorrow whilst she floats. A little harder but not too bad.
   The morning was spent cleaning the mast, sorting rigging, and finding the running rigging and misc lines and fittings. Lifting the mast to the boat alone was a bit of a challenge that called for some Rube Goldberg enginnering, something that some say comes natural to me. But twas as fine morning to work on the boat. There is something relaxing and therapuetical about messing around with one's boat.
   If all goes well, I could be sailing tomorrow. Weather forecast is for partly sunny, high of 76 with S wind of 8-14 mph. As usual, on the first sail, a bit of whatever grog is aboard is poured into the bay thus officially starting the sailing season, at least for me anyway.
   Stay tuned for more....
Bob23