a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Well, the boat's in the water. Unfortunately it's not Koinonia, only her tender, the venerable Walker Bay 8. I just realized I've never named the tender. Any ideas, mates? All entries will be considered and the winner will recieve absolutely nothing but a big thank you from your's truly!
   Work on Koinonia's bottom is just about done. I had an area aft of the keel which required a barrier coat treatment and then some hard bottom paint. The entire hull will recieve a fresh coat of Hydrocoat bottom paint and hopefully, a launch on June 8th. This is the latest I've ever been in, the reason being that work has been busy thanks in part to Hurricane Sandy.
   The teak has recieved fresh coats of varnish and dorade box and eyebrow trims each got 3 coats of Cetol in Teak color. For some reason, I was never able to keep varnish on those eyebrows so I had to resort to Cetol, which is just ok. I'm planning to buy a quart of Armada and do an actual real environment field test to see just how it compares to varnish and Cetol.
    I'm soooo looking forward to this sailing season...been a stressful year so far and there's nothing quite like sailing to sooth out the soul. I'm hoping to organize another Barnegat Bay Bash sometime this summer, maybe July...stay tuned for more details.
Bob23

jthatcher

great to hear from you , Bob.    it is rather apparent that you are crazy busy..  you have been missed here on the  forum!     i am trying to come up with a name for the  dinghy that would reflect  our  memorable experience last september.     titanic may be a bit  strong... but you get the idea! 

i would love to be able to tell you that Adagio is ready to go, but  i have yet to make the trip to jersey!   if the weather cooperates, i might make it at the end of this week.   i will let you know..  after that , i am gone for two weeks.. but then  my full attention will be on the boat.    i am looking forward to catching up with you soon.   jt

MacGyver

"Just A Little Koin"

Naming boats isnt my specialty.......
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Hmmm...the game's afoot! Keep 'em coming, mates!
JT: Yes- let me know when you're down this way. Now that Memorial Day weekend is behind me, my workload lightened a little. Still looking forward to breakfast when you get down.
   I don't know if a simple boat name could capture the fun we had capsizing the dingy! I haven't  laughed that hard in a long time!!!!! I can still see the faces of the couple on the powerboat next to us- their look of bewilderment is priceless!
Bob23

Koinonia

Bob,

Koinonia's big sister is about to come out of the water this week and the rig will be dropped.  On June 12th we will be leaving at 3 am to head down to Punta Gorda for her trip to the keys.  This year Im off for over 3 weeks  and cant wait to see the clear waters. 

Tim Gardner

Bob N Around?  Keeled Over? Cap Sized?  Sea Amigos?  Oar Knot? Shore Ding? My favorite but long: Sea Ding for 2 Only

My head hurts.  TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

TG:
   You obviously have a great and undiscovered talent or....too much time on your hands! Or both!!!! Sea Ding for 2 is quite apropos...we had 3 on board. 3 amigos, 3 musketeers, 3 stooges...take you pick! This name thing is fun!
Koin:
   That sounds great! Hope you have a great time...I guess it's prime sailing season down there. Maybe while you're in Punta Gorda, you should try to look up Capt. Nemo. He's literally right around the corner. And a great guy!   
Bob23

Craig

Kailani is in slip A-10 at Laishley Let us know when you are going to launch. Hope to meet you when you are in PG!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

hockeyfool

Due to the stout appearance of our vessels I'm gonna suggest the little dingy name be -
Chubby Chaser ...!  ..yes ?

Greene

It absolutely must be named "Ding-A-Ling" so everyone will know who the owner is.  Or how about "Bobs Along"? Or my personal favorite, "Only lost one race and it was to Squint The Famous Racing Dinghy" ( a little long but it just rolls off the tongue.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

All these are good and another one just popped into my head. Lettered on the transom:
"Bye bye Squint". Although Ding-a-ling does seem to fit, eh?  The official contest for the name will end on Sunday 6/02 at midnight so keep those cards and letters coming in!
Bob23

Greene

Quote from: Bob23 on May 30, 2013, 07:31:20 PM
All these are good and another one just popped into my head. Lettered on the transom:
"Bye bye Squint". Although Ding-a-ling does seem to fit, eh?  The official contest for the name will end on Sunday 6/02 at midnight so keep those cards and letters coming in!
Bob23

Once again you win.  We laughed out loud when we read your post.  We bow to the master.

Mike and B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

DougN

A few years back I picked up a small aluminum v bottom for the grandkids to fish with.Two grandsons were helping me clean her up when one asked me about naming it.I suggested naming her after their Grandma because like Grandma it was a little dingy.I thought it was funny.Naturaly they snitched me out and things got a little tense around the homefront.So no matter how tempting it is, my advice is don't do it.

Bob23

Naming boats if fun.
   When I first bought my 23, the previous owner named her "Septembers Love". Barf...that had to go. I decided to name her "Koinonia" which is a greek word found in the New Testament meaning "a close fellowship between God and man" or something like that. It fit because while sailing my 23, that's where Father and I have our best conversations.
   A while back I bought a used Force 5 but for some reason, didn't ask or tell my wife. It was a spur of the moment purchase. True to my form, I finally realized I'd have to fess up so in a last ditch diplomatic effort, I named the boat "Linda Gale". Obviously her name is Linda Gail. She was not impressed...not at all. To add salt to the wound, now that I'm thinking of selling the Gale, she's claiming ownership and demanding all proceeds go to her.
  Moral: Be careful when choosing a name for your boat. It could cost you (literally)!
   Now for a name for the Guideboat.....
Bob23