a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Well, the sad day has come and Koinonia is no longer splashing about but rather, is sitting comfortably on her trailer after getting a nice fall powerwash. The bottom was relatively free of growth, just some small barnacles up by the waterline and some slime everywhere else. Everything went smooth enough until the mast lowering session. I'd like to say it was controlled chaos but that might be generous. It was probably just your normal chaotic chaos but there was no damage other than a slightly distorted mast foot. I'm glad I rebedded the foot on a pad of PVC set in 4200.

b23

HeaveToo

Bob....Why the PVC in the 4200?

Ever thought about trying Butyl tape?  I know that it is heavily favored for bedding and it has a lot of advantages.  The major disadvantage being the time it takes to properly install it because it requires slow increments of tightening. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

HeaveToo

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

This guy does a good job of explaining the process and how to use the tape.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

Heave:
   The reason for the PVC mast foot pad: I never liked seeing just the stainless mast foot set directly on the fiberglass deck. It always seemed like an invitation for water intrusion at that point and considering that it is structural, I wanted to take a preemptive measure. With the 3/4" PVC added, it helps prevent a leak due to movement in the foot and thus elongating, even slightly, the screw holes. The foot is screwed down with it's own4 stainless screws and then the foot is set in some kind of sealant (don't remember what I used). It works fine although I did need to cut 3/4" off the bottom of the mast for the standing rigging to work.
   You can see the foot here:

Bob23

HeaveToo

Okay...that makes a lot of sense. 

I am halfway thinking about re-bedding the mast step.  Then again, I see no evidence of flex of leaks so I should probably leave well enough alone.

What is you goal for splashing next year?
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

I do not know about next year. Typically, I'm in in May although it's been as early as April. A long way off till next year. I haven't even put her winter pj's on yet.
Another advantage of the PVC is if there is any movement in the foot while lowering or raising the mast, the seal is not broken between the pad and the deck.
Bob23

Bob23

2015 update:
   The famous racing yacht Koinoina is stuck in a time warp, along with her skipper Bob23 the slacker. I finally got my winter cover on this past Wednesday. Yup- practically the mid point of winter. Seems like everything I'm doing is about 3 or 4 months askew. I've contacted Doc Brown to investigate whether I can travel back through time to make up for loosing so much of it. Still waiting to hear back.
   This year's projects consist of:
New VHF antenna. Mine was rotted out and blew off the top 'o the mast this summer.
Remove 1 of both through hull transducers and hook up the one that came with my chartplotter.
Finish my 5 day cooler project.
A new porta potti with pump out option.
Of course- the ongoing battle between Ma nature and my teak.
Get my 5 hp Nissan running so I can have a spare motor aboard if I transit the C&D canal. Don't want to pay for a tow if Miss Nissan, size 8 decides she's had enough.
I'd like to get a real dodger but each year when the boat is uncovered, all I want to do is sail!
...and more if I could just remember what they are.
Best,
Bob23

HeaveToo

Bob...I am considering selling my hard dodger.  I don't think that I will use it and strongly prefer my soft dodger.  Let me know if you are interested and I can send pics but I don't have many here.  I have kept it stored in a shed since I bought the boat.

Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Salty19

Bob23!  Bob23!  This is your cousin Salty.  Salty19. You know that new antenna you're looking for? Well, listen to this!

What a great movie.

Don't feel too bad, Bob.  I've not so much touched Island Time since putting her away, but am busy at work in the basement making some new too-be disclosed farkels in the basement. Epoxy, carbon fiber, kevlar and marine plywood is involved, so it's kinda top secret, so better I say no more.  I've probably said too much already.

Where we're sailing we don't need any roads...

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Salty:
   I know what your building: A combo porta potti and Mr. Fusion. A perfect use for waste!
   It's one of my favorite movies...I border on an obsession.
Heave:
   Yeah, if you can send a pic that would be great. Don't know if I want a hard dodger but then again, I've never really considered it.
Bob23

Allure2sail

Riding sail question.....
Where do you attached your forward line from the riding sail? I've tried the mast and also a cleat on the track and I don't see much difference.
thanks
Bruce

BruceW

Heave, re that dodger,

Does it fold up when you want it off, or are you either on or off for the entire voyage? Looks cool, actually.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

Allure:
   The forward line on my riding sail gets lashed to a cleat on the mast. Seems to be the best place- on my boat it's the only place.
Bob23

HeaveToo

It attaches with 4 screws into the trim for the companionway.  It is a clever design.

I just prefer the cloth dodger because I use the Bimini and connector piece when it rains.  I like keeping the companionway open for ventilation. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt