a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

I know she looks down a bit but she's curtsying for you, Tim. She has a way of flirting with other men.
On the CLR front: my mechanics professional opinion of whether such a trip is advisable with such a high mileage truck is: Maybe. I could've told them that! Still deciding but I'd love to bring her out.
Bob23

Salty19

Bob, if it makes any difference in your decision, you are welcome to crash aboard Island Time during CLR. She has new cushion foam this year, and of course freshly washed cushion fabric.

You do need a 16 or Suncat, huh?  Man that's a long ways to tow a 23!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

It is a long way but the way I feel, I may just throw caution to the winds and do it. It's more of problem with the Blackburn being on 7/25 so I'd have to leave for CLR on Sunday. We'll see....I talked about selling her but the sail on Sunday was just so nice. I really love they way they feel when your in the sweet spot. Iv'e decided that a 16 is not for me- just a bit too small for my style of overnighting. But a Suncat might be the ticket if I do downsize.
   Thanks for the invite aboard Island Time- I'd be honored.
Bob23   

HideAway

Quote from: Bob23 on May 25, 2015, 07:49:01 PM

We put HideAway in a 30 foot wet slip for several years thinking to trade for a bigger boat - Our rule is that before placing the ad we must go sailing one more time- Like you we've found we just can't let her go- she is just too perfect for how we sail and the troubles we get into.  Next year will be out 20th year together - She's in our driveway now getting all gussied up for the party!  Small Boats Rock!  Matt

Today was the inaugural sail of the intrepid Koinoina! My goal was to have her swinging merrily from her mooring today but that did not happen due to last minute fuel problems. I developed a leak in the tank fitting and somehow many gasoline fumes found their way into the cabin via the cockpit storage lockers. So not being a fan of boat explosions, I spent much time airing out the cabin and bilge with a fan before pronouncing her safe to sail. That cost me a day!
   Winds were light and building out of the SSW and, as expected, she performed flawlessly. Just as last years first sail, which took place on the wrong end of the summer, I was accompanied by the lovely and talented Kathy, my sailing and gabbing friend. Last year, the dreaded nausea demon dared not to show himself but this year, he was back with a vengeance and, although we were not out long she soon began succumbing to some seasickness. We had a short but nice time and no cookies were spilled but note to self: Carry chewable ginger and ginger ale on board but I doubt it would have helped her today. 
   We took a half dozen tacks which was enough to rate my rudder modifications a complete success! The rudder now is tilted forward quite a bit beyond plumb, so much so that I think it actually will miss the prop should I not be paying attention. That never happens!! Koinonia is still residing at Long Key Marina for a few more days until I have the chance to move her down to her home mooring in Surf City. There is something special about the first sail of the season: Kind of a proclamation that summer is here, there are boats to sail and fun to have. The mantra for 2015 is: Sail more, row more, write more and gab more...and work less! We'll see how this works out. I know I'd been toying with selling the girl but, just as last year, the minute I have the tiller in my hand, and the wind fills the sails and she slyly lifts her skirt as she accelerates, I wonder how could I ever think of selling?  She is one magnificent little yacht!
Bob...for the cause!
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

Koinonia tries to escape!!!
   Yup, you read this right. On Saturday July 25, after a grueling but most satisfying Blackburn Challenge, I awoke from my post race nap to a text, complete with photos showing Koinoina not at all where she should be. It seems she was really counting on me bringing her all the way to Illinois to the epic CLR 2015 and when she learned that I was bringing the guideboat "Poco Loco" instead her jealousy was kindled so she decided to take matters into her own hands and go for a sail all by herself. So...she figured out a way to cut her lines and go for a bit of drifting! Well, if your 23 is anything like my 23, this shouldn't come as a surprise. While being known as the prettiest girl at the dance, she can be a bit impetuous and sometimes not all that bright so she did not notice down current and down wind, the low bridge and power lines just waiting to fried her to a burnt crisp or at least destroy her standing rigging and mast.
   Enter the brave and intrepid Capt. Ed, a friend who lives on the bay front and just happened to be enjoying his morning coffee when he looked up and noticed the recalcitrant Koinoina trying to make a break! To the rescue, he cried to himself and soon was in his outboard towing her back and retying her to her mooring the best he could. Considering he owns a Pearson 30 (I think) I had full confidence in his ability and was able to drive to Illinois to enjoy the CLR gang!  He re tied her with chain and line and did a fine job at that. To Ed: Thank you! Being in the right place at the right time, you saved my ship from a certain watery grave. I owe you much beer!
   Well, needless to say, the boat and I had a long talk and she got a good scolding but, alas! she got the last laugh! Last Sunday, as I motorsailed her to the marina, the brand new impeller decided to quit! I thought I heard the boat say something like: "When will you learn who's in charge around here!" Of course, it took longer and I sailed into the marina under headsail alone. Then starting the motor for the final approach into the slip, I noticed she was pumping water just fine. Real funny!
   Tomorrow I'll redo the mooring tackle, which was brand new this spring and done the same way each year. How the lines parted is still a mystery but as a true Sherlock Holmes fan knows: "The game's afoot, Watson!"

Bob23

KOINONIA GETS REPOWERED:
  As many of you do, I peruse this site looking for useless bits of information and that wonderful but elusive deal that occasionally comes around. And what before mine eyes did appear? Viggy was selling his Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro so after a few messages, I found myself driving out to his house here in NJ about 40 minutes away last Saturday. Viggy is an interesting guy and we share similar tastes in road bicycles and other mutual interests. After checking out the new Miss Tohatsu (named Sue for short) I fell in love and came home with yet another mistress. Today, Miss Sue, size 6 officially took the place of Miss Nissan size 8 as the official auxillary power for the intrepid sailing yacht "Koinoina". Tomorrow is test out time followed by an actual sail on the Barnegat Bay, NJ. A public Thank You to Viggy for selling me Sue. Last minute I also came home with a bimini that Vig decided to sell at the last minute so now I can, along with many of you, lurk in the shadows!!!
Bob23...and Sue- size 6!

Shawn

Bob,

Good luck with the Sailpro. I loved mine!

Shawn

jthatcher

great to hear that you continue to invest in Koinonia despite some earlier comments suggesting that you might want to part ways with her.    I hope you have wonderful success with the new engine..  don't make the same mistake that I did ( remember that diesel story?  ..don't tell anyone!)   looking forward to hearing your first report ..  I have yet to step on the deck of a sailboat this summer.. but we are  loving Maine and we are super active,  climbing lots of trails,  cycling  and some kayaking..    plan on coming up to visit next summer.. Janet and I will show you a great time :)   jt

Bob23

Thank you Shawn. I already like the lack of 2 stroke smoke and the relative quiet. Kinda reminds me of my old VW when it idles.
JY: We would love to come up and visit so we should stay in touch. Trouble is, I love Maine so much it might be a one way trip!! And....I was tempted to relay the diesel fuel story but I was able to withstand the temptation. Hey...stuff happens.    Glad you are enjoying your time up there, ayuh.  Life in NJ ain't so bad these days but not enough time off to sail. What else is new, right? 
Bob23

Bob23

Today Koinonia was moved from the marina that she called home for the last 3 weeks to her true home mooring in Surf City, NJ. I was wondering what my marina bill would be, considering it's the summer season so I approached Vinnie, the owner and explained that I was there for 3 whole weeks. "How about a case a week?" He momentarily caught me off guard until I realized he meant a case of beer for each week! "What you you like?" "Anything but Coors Light". Ahh..a man after my own heart. I like this guy and his marina. Sure, I says and when I returned to get the trusty Camry Wagon, I made a bee line to the beer store and came back with a nice assortment- Shipyard summer ale, Yuengling, Ballantine IPA, Miller High Life (For Vinnies Dad, Vince) andLeinekugel honey Weiss.  The astute observer will note that this is only part of the slip fee and I will return in a day or two with part 2 of the assortment. I secretly hope they invite me so crack one open.
   The new to me Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp (herein known as Sue) ran for almost 2 hours of steady motoring without skipping a beat. The boat seemed to run much faster with this motor and for some strange reason, also ran straighter. Could this be because the prop is 5" lower in the water? Sue has a interesting voice, a little higher than Miss Nissan, size 8. The sound kinda reminds me of a mix of some of my old aircooled VW's, a Singer sewing machine, and my Honda powerwasher. Not a bad little symphony! Thank you Viggy for an honest deal on a great motor! Viggy is a member here and a straight shooter who has great tastes in sailboats and bicycles.
   She now sits on her home mooring and hopefull she won't pull anymore temper tantrums and try to escape again. As the summer threatens to close, she treats us to some wonderful sunsets here in NJ! The best is yet to come.
Bob23

BruceW

Bob23,

My Sailpro has a high thrust prop; perhaps yours does also, and that explains the performance.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

I suppose that's it. It's also the first 4 stroke that I've owned. I think we're gonna have a long and happy life together.
Bob23

Bob23

Hurricane Joaquin update:
   Even though HJ decided to stay offshore, we are still experiencing high winds and high tides. Despite my toying with having her hauled before the storm, she said in no uncertain terms that she'd have no part of it! "There are more sailing days ahead and I simply refuse to come out of the water and you can't make me!"  A stubborn girl, that Koinonia and I've learned that there was no way I'd talk her into an early haul so there she sits, in her slip riding out the storm with a smug grin on her face!

Fine. We will sail in October.

Bob23

Well it's now official:
   Today Koinonia's portside winch took her first dip in the mighty Barnegat Bay!  Last night I overnighted at Tice's Shoals because I realized time is short so I grabbed the opportunity. With no one else there except the constant NW wind all night long, it was a marvelous time watching the setting crescent moon and all the stars come out. The anchor held all night and I went for my morning visit to the beach where, dingyless, I had to walk through the chilly fall water. It was great!
   After pulling the hook this morning, I proceeded north toward the River Tom with the wind still WNW and eventually decided to head for the barn. The Compac 23's seem to love a strong wind coming from their quarters and we were sailing at a steady 5.5 to 6.0 knots! Thrilling to say the least. The wind being gusty and a bit variable meant I needed to pay attention, something my gradeschool teachers said was impossible.  Out of nowhere, a gust hit her starboard side and in no time, the boat was layed over with the shiny Andersen winch taking a dip as the cockpit welcomed some chilly water aboard! Fortunately with a proper bridge deck, no water entered the cabin but the cockpit got a nice cleaning up.
   My father in law, sailor extrodinaire, always told me to sail with the mainsheet in hand and being a former SeaPearl owner I find it good advice. This time I did indeed have the sheet in hand but it happened so fast there was no time to react- I needed to just stay in the boat! The 23's seaworthiness is evident as the wind spilled from the sails and she rounded up eventually but one can see how in a lightly ballasted boat, things go from bad to worse to wet pretty darned fast.
   With only a few more weeks of sailing before she's put to bed, I must sieze the day...and the mainsheet!
Cheers!
Bob23

HeaveToo

A long time ago I was in a race in stronger winds on a Paceship 23.  We did a nasty broach and touched the top of the mast to the water.  That was scary (especially flying a 1 ounce spinnaker). 

Sail for the gusts!  Reef a little early if it will be gusty.  I find it better to be more comfortable and sail a little flatter.

Love overnights like you describe.  It is nice and peaceful.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt