a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Brian, you will love your CDI and with a new headsail, your boat will sail as if reborn!
   When I needed new sails, I looked to a famous local sail loft and got very personal attention. Dave, at Eggers Sailmakers measured my boat for the new sails and designed them for the local conditions that I sail in. Sure, I could have probably save some clams going on line but I'm completely happy with them. Now, 6 or 7 years later when they need a wee bit of attention, he's more than willing to help me out. It pays to buy local and in my case, I get to pick Dave's brain. He's quite an accomplished Sunfish racer and no matter how old I get, I will always love the feel of a Sunfish in high winds. My own personal Porsche!

Finbar Beagle

Bob, I ended up with my brother's old Sunfish, so if you have one, we may have makings for Sunfish regatta at next BBB.

I assume you would have mounted oarlocks...
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Tim Gardner

HMMMM, I've got a Fish as well...do I smell a race?  Of course I also have a Mutineer and a Finn, Oh, and a Hunter 23 
Willing to sell the H23 and the Mutt, but not posting them for sale as yet.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

So...it's been a while. The intrepid sailing vessel "Koinonia" has become somewhat famous. Seems the local Facebook page "Long Beach Island NJ buy/sell/trade has adorned it's cover photo with a lovely shot of my legendary 1985 Compac 23. And yes, the setting summer sun really looks like this!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lbibuy/
Enjoy!!

ruffwind

Bob23

The season ends a bit early for me this year as the Mighty Koinonia will be hauled out for her winter hibernation tomorrow. Kind of a spur of the moment decision but work, wind and weather are all cooperating and fall rowing season is upon me anyway. Sails are rinsed and dried- a windy and warm day today allows me to raise sails in the slip, do a fresh water rinse off and dry 'em out in the wind! Putting sails away with salt on them is close to an unforgivable sin!!
   Each year, we do learn something new about our boats don't we. This year, I learned what a fine light air boat a properly trimmed 23 is. She also mentioned she does not enjoy towing a dingy! Hmmm, funny- she never complained in the past! I also learned the end of the season isn't a great time to find out my automatic bilge pump ain't automatic no more! Good thing she's a dry boat!!
  Enjoy your fall mates!!

kickingbug1

yesterday, maybe one of the best fall days I have ever sailed. we sailed a little over 15miles in perfect conditions. winds 10 sustained gusts to 14. 65 degrees and sunny. averaged 4 knots and achieved hull speed numerous times. with the water temp at 56 degrees swimming wasn't an option. like every other Monday the lake was deserted and dead quite with just a few other sailboats. had a little impromptu race with a precision 21. we did pretty well considering we are at 288 and he is 255. that was fun, nice guy. after almost 5 hours we had a nice dinner at the winery. a wonderful fall sail, hope it wont be the last one for the year.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jthatcher

hi bob.. have not visited the site in quite a while, but always good to check in and see what is happening..  nice sunset  shot of the boat on  your local publication...   you mention wind weather and work   wow,  are you still working?  haven't you seen the light yet?   with so much sailing to be done, it seems like you need to do  some prioritizing over the winter :)      hope you guys are all well..   the only sailing i did this summer was  on an evening schooner trip when there was just a hint of wind...    but , there is always next summer!   of course, that means another invitation to you ( and linda )  to come up and visit Georgetown ..       take care,   jt

Bob23

Hmm... some  good points, Yeah, I'm still working. When I hit 70 I'll think about stopping but for now it's full speed ahead, although full speed ain't what it used to be!! And prioritizing is exactly what I'll be doing this winter! Thinking of selling my beloved Koinonia but that won't happen until September of next year, if it happens at all. I promised a friend to teach her to sail next summer and my nephews son Eli I promised to take sailing! So I'm locking for another year!!
  I'd like to have more time to concentrate on my rowing, like taking some multi day expeditions. There's only so much time available when one works full time! Of course, I'd always regret it if I sold her- each year she gets a little faster and a little prettier!!
  Love to come and visit but never made it up to Maine this summer at all. Enjoy the fall...great colors down here!!

Mas

Rarely weigh in here since No Mas has come and gone in our lives. She was the the reason that we have had the privilege of knowing many from this forum and though the wrong boat for us, we remain grateful we had her. The other thing she showed us was just how great the 23 is. Bob, Koinonia will always get prettier and faster! It is the only design still virtually unchanged and still in production from the fine folks at Hutchins, there is a reason for that!

Meanwhile in addition to rowing get those skis dusted off! Hope to see you soon as well.   :)

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

Bob, you may wish to visit this website and scroll down to I believe it is number 6 on the list of 11 boats.....

who knows maybe a sign?

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/sailing-small-living-large-sailors-who-love-their-small-boats
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Thanks, another Koinonia. He used to be on here I believe. And Rick, did you see the Sage 17? What an outstanding boat! I've seem 'em, in person at boat shows!

Bob23

SHE FLOATS!!
  Thumbing my nose to the voices of procrastination, and with a launch date challenge and help bottom painting from a friend, my intrepid sailing vessel had her first taste of salt water last Sunday, May 19th. By the way, when a friend offers to help bottom paint, that is a friend indeed!!!
  New outboard bracket with custom pad out (read: scrap versatex from the job painted with 2 coats of Bristol Beige Brightsides paint), New Johnson bilge pump (tired of replacing the Rule every year or so) and fresh coats of wax with help from above friend, and at high noon, she swung in the slings whilst we touched up the Interlux Aqua blue bottom paint. Soon she was set free!!
  "Sue" size 6 started on the 2nd pull and purred like a kitten and although the sails weren't hung yet, off we motored into the Barnegat Bay to have our first taste of the briney, and what a taste! 20 knot winds combined with waves sent salty sprays into our faces and it felt so great!! "Sue" ran great, we got wet so we headed for the barn.
  Sails to be hung today, with a maiden voyage planned for tomorrow. How I love holiday weekends with perfect weather!
  Where will the brave little vessel travel to this summer? Stay tuned...

Tim Gardner

Avast Ye Lubbers!  Bend on the main, Unfurl the heads'l. Bob23 sails on!

TG

PS. Vicki announced her stepping down from her SML chamber duties later this summer.  The Admiral is assigning herself COMINSPX (Commander, Inspecx, LLC) of my mold and home inspection business...  God help me.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Finbar Beagle

Bob,

Congrats on the splash down.  Heading north for the Metedonk river today.  Need to size up the Mantaloking bridge.  I may just squeeze under at 21 foot-ish.

In addition to the outboard mount, did you work on Koinonia's sweeps?  Oar power is the only way to go if the wind dies out...

Time to put the water cannon back on board...

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ