a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

While cleaning out the bilge of the legendary yacht "Koinoinia", I spotted something shiny and small hiding in a damp wet corner. I've been having minor ongoing problems with rain water finding it's way into the bilge and while I don't expect a bone dry bilge, the source of this water intrusion has me stumped. I've sponged and soaked up every corner of the bilge so I was surprised to find this small coin hiding way back in the corner where on the 23's, the bilge narrows down to a point.
  Picking it up (you know how us guys are attracted to small, shiny objects like a fish to a lure) I notice it does not seem like an American coin first due to it's slightly irregular shape. But more than that it seems to have a foreign script on both sides that I can't readily identify. And of course, there is a likeness on one side. And it's of an attractive woman seemingly of African descent and here is the strangest thing: her eyes are green and no matter which way you turn the coin, she seems to stare at me with those alluringly piercing eyes!
   Try as I may online, I cannot identify the coin nor the country or origin and I have no firsthand knowledge of coin collecting whatsoever. But I know a man who does and owns a rare coin shop in town. When I show him the coin, his face goes instantly white and he collapses into a nearby chair. Hmm. I'm thinking this is not from an old Happy Meal. He finally gets up and asks "Where did you find this?" and I tell him the tale which you've just read above. His squinty eyes look sideways at me as if to suggest I'm lying. "And how long has it been there?" "I have no idea. I've never seen it down there before and I've owned the boat for 10 years". "You must dispose of this coin immediately! Any vessel with this coin aboard is doomed to a violent and deadly sinking." I snicker, thinking that this can't be true but the look on his face which is still pale, tells me otherwise. He is dead serious and pushes the coin across the glass counter to me, as if not even wanting to touch it.
   Driving home, I can't help but ponder this strange coin and who is this alluring woman with the green eyes? And why would she want to sink my trustworthy and innocent vessel? Sailors seem to be superstitious lot but I am not. I have no problem walking under a ladder on Friday the 13th after breaking a mirror while stepping on a crack in the sidewalk. But I do place a coin under the mast each year that was given to me by my father in law for good luck.
   This coin continues to intrigue me and in strict defiance to my friends warnings, after taking a few detailed photos of it, I place the coin back in the bilge where I found it. Days go by...weeks go by but each time I enter the boat, I check to see if she is still there. I'm a bit startled that I've started referring to the coin as she as if we are lovers or close friends who cannot part with each other. I make a final decision to ignore the warnings, leave her in the bilge forever so I can have a sailing companion for as long as I may sail upon the waters of life!!!
   Upon awakening this morning, my first thought is to wish you all a very Foolishly Happy April Fools Day!!!!
Bob23   

Tim Gardner

Bob, you forgot to add "as I kicked the black cat across my path"
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Thanks, Tim. But I don't want to press my luck! Hahahaha!!!!

Bob23

The intrepid sailing yacht "Koinoina" took her first dip of the year at precisely high noon on Saturday, May 14th. My sincere thanks to Kevin, aka K3v1n who leant a hand or more accurately, a shoulder in the ritual of raising the mast. Each of us has or had bad shoulders but despite our advancing years, up the mast went with out a hitch!
  During the next few days, the rig was tuned, sails bent on and because of work and rain, there she sits in slip #65 at Long Key Marina patiently waiting for the inaugural sail of the year 2016. Many thanks to Vinnie for letting her stay in the slings while the bottom paint took it's sweet time drying.
  She's looking ok despite the finish on her teak not being near Bristol which is another way of saying it's embarrassing. But she has reminded me many times, she was made to dance and can turn heads whether in torn jeans or an evening gown. Can't wait to raise sail and get back to reality!
Bob23

brackish

"She's looking ok despite the finish on her teak not being near Bristol which is another way of saying it's embarrassing"  (Hmm, wonder why the Italics and bold will not work)

Mine is in the worst shape since I've owned the boat, however it is intended.  I'm letting nature take it back so I can start over with something else.  About half way there.  Venturing into the world of two part urethanes was a dismal failure in my view, hard to apply, hard to repair, hard to maintain, and less than one season before breaks in the finish started to appear. 

What's next........?

Salty19

Bob 2$,

Glad your ship has been given a proper spring splash and well on her way to new adventures!   Don't you worry about her teak looking drab.  Your secret is safe with us.  Surely Koinonia won't mind, she knows you adore her and is glad to be back in the water despite a wrinkle here and there. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Greene

Hey Bob - bring Lesa with you to CLR.  She is a riot!

Congrats on splashing Koinpurse or whatever that boat's name is.

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Tim Gardner

Saw the video, unimpressed..  Kevin's wife however, wins the first ever CPY0A Academy award for three categories " Best Picture, Most Sarcastic, and Most Forgiving Admiral"

Grins TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Lesa is a riot but I'm not sure Kev would approve of me bringing his wife to CLR!! I was laughing out loud watching her part in this vid. They're both wonderful old friends. I'm trying to convince them that CLR is the place to be this summer!
Bob23

Salty19

Quote from: Greene on May 22, 2016, 10:15:54 PM
Congrats on splashing Koinpurse or whatever that boat's name is.

Mike and Brenda

Bob,  while I think this is absolutely hilarious, and reminds me of Stewey from the show The Family Guy, I don't imagine you feel the same. You just going to let this one go?    Or are your cousins already in route to a certain mooring field near Sarasota?

Koinpurse...you still got it Greene!!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Koinpurse? KOINPURSE??? Lesa is a riot and a very interesting and funny writer but I wasn't aware of her videography talents. They would fit in perfectly with the CLR gang!!!

Bob23

I posted on the Compac FB page and now I'm trying to link it...maybe that's not even the right word.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CPYOA/

Bob23

Fall update:   
   This Sunday past saw temps near 80 in the South of NJ, light to medium SSW wind and Koinoina and I out for a lovely 3 hour sail on Barnegat Bay. Now we all know that the 23's are not speed demons but explain that to all the sailboats that we passed who admired her fading stern as, speeding away, we left them to wallow in our wake.  Every once in a while, everything is dialed in just right- sun, wind, the boat's trim and nothing can seem to go wrong. And yesterday, nothing did!
   All too soon, she'll be snug under her canvas covers in her new winter home at Long Key Marina, Waretown, NJ and the sailing season of 2016 will be but a memory. Except...that this year I kept a detailed log of every sail so whenst engulfed in the icy grip of winter with hot toddy in hand, I may read and relive a wonderful year of sailing a most beautiful yacht. Honestly, I don't know what she sees in me!

Mas

Hey Bob, glad to hear you had a nice fall fling with your girl! We've been out with her little sister quite a bunch this fall. It's not surprising these little boats are pretty quick with a waterline length as long as many many larger boats. Heck our 31 is only 3 feet more at the waterline but weighs in 4 times as much. The 23's are great little boats!

We also just started keeping a folio aboard to keep track of our time on the water. It's a great idea as we sometimes struggle to remember what we had for dinner yesterday!

Saw a forlorn looking CP16cb sitting on her trailer under tarp (with flat tires, rusted wheel dolly, tarp beginning to fall apart) but after peeking under it she seemed to be in pretty good shape still. Registration over a year out of date, hmmm....might could be had. Jus sayin!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2