a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

I agree, Heave. I'll pass on the hard dodger. I should get a soft one made...keep telling myself that every year. But, alas I still go dodgerless.
Bob23

HeaveToo

Bob...Nothing is nicer on one of those days where it is misty and you are beating into 15 knots of wind with a chop.  I loved the dodger on my Catalina 30 and I use to turn the auto pilot and keep watch from under it on those kinds of days.

With the compac 23 you can't quite use it the same way.  If you get a dodger and you have a bimini definitely do a connector.  They help out a lot and give you a place to shelter in bad weather.  I would love to redesign my dodger and do a custom job but that is a few years down the road for me.

Seriously, if anyone is interested in my hard dodger, let me know.  If not I will just hold onto it. 

If I was to design a hard dodger for my boat I would make it fit like a regular dodger and cover that area there.  Nothing like being able to securely sit in at the bulkhead under a dodger when the weather isn't as not (even better if you are sipping hot tea and it is cool).
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

Well I finally did it. Pried my checkbook open and ordered the stainless steel rudder hold down bracket from Matt at Compac. Of course, he was a pleasure to deal with. Although I designed and installed a downhaul for the rudder, since the new wood foiled blade has so much floatation, it didn't hold it all the way down ensuring that I received more than my share of weather helm. I'll install the bracket on Saturday...gotta keep the old girl living in the manner in which she has become accustomed.
Looking forward to splashing "Koinonia" much earlier this year than last. And, no- all the projects will not be done. She was built to sail, not just to sit around looking beautiful, which she does quite well anyway, thank you!
Bob23

HeaveToo

That is good to hear.  Saga has just a few more things that I need to do to her.  I am going to finish the wiring next week and add the two batteries.  I have the water pump kit for my outboard.  Lastly, I have to bottom paint.

After I hit the slip I will do the solar modification. 

I too am looking forward to some sailing.  I have a chunk of time I have taken off (last two weeks in May and most of the first week of June).  I plan to sail somewhere.  Where, I have no idea at this point.  I have some thoughts on Tangier Island or maybe Saint Michaels.  If I do St. Michaels I will backdoor it from the Choptank to San Domingo Creek and anchor there.  There is a big to do at the museum that weekend with music and other stuff in St. Michaels.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

BREAKING NEWS! KOINONIA OFFICIAL BEER CHANGE!
  It's true, folks. Koinonia has decided she wants to shed the redneck, gun-rack-on-the-back-window image and has refused to allow me to bring PBR on board ever again. She's decided it's time for me to grow up and try some real beer. Little does she know that down deep, I'm a Flying Fish beer fan. Gotta love NJ beers.
  But the new official beer of the yacht Koinonia is now:

Yup. Ballantine IPA. I bumped into it somewhere in my on-line journeys, bought a six and the rest, as they say, is history. Even my son Chris, who really knows good beer, was impressed. He thought, well- maybe there's hope for the old man!
  For more info, you can read about it here:
http://ballantinebeer.com/
  No longer will the honorable Mike Greene worry about losing part of all of his honor by being seen with PBR! Happy days are here again!
For the cause- Bob23

Bob23

The last few weeks have been productive ones as I moved forward with the rudder repair/ rudder hold down bracket project. After a number of modifications, tweekings and a bit of painting, I have the thing working just the way I want. One of the mods was to cut the top of the blade which sits in the rudder head to allow it to tilt more forward, thus theoretically decreasing the weather helm even more.
  I also had a stainless band made that bolts with the tiller strap to the rudder head. There didn't seem to be anything from keeping the bracket from just falling backward into the water so this band keeps it where it needs to be.
  Borrowing from the immense wisdom here at the site, I took the opportunity to replace the original bushings with bronze ones purchased at Lowe's for under 2 clams each and new stainless machine bolts. Since I sail in salt water, I have 5 zincs alone just back at the rudder area. You can see the corrosion at the lower tab of the gudgeon- that was from 1 summer without zincs. I'll need to replace that next winter.
  I coaxed Miss Nissan out of her winter storage shed into the barrel of fresh water, bought her some fresh fuel and wondered, as I do each spring- will she start first pull or second? I guess she's happy to think of another season as he official auxiliary of Koinonia  because she lovingly responded first pull and soon idled as smooth as 12 year old Scotch. As long as she behaves so well, I'll never replace this motor. I only wish everything in life was this dependable.
  So things are on schedule for a pre Memorial day launch and she's looking good to be swinging at her mooring that weekend, proudly flying old Glory!
Bob23...sorry for such a large photo- I don't now how to make 'em smaller...any tips, mates?

kickingbug1

you still gonna bring her to the "dance" in july? we all hope so. your competition awaits----the 23 from missouri. 
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

I'm hoping to but it depends on if my mechanic gives me the thumbs up or down. The old Tundra has a quarter million miles on her and while that's not a lot, towing 4000 lbs that far might be pushing it. But I'm planning on it! And Mike and Brenda: consider this an open invitation aboard my 23. We'd be honored to have you!   
  Koinonia has no competition but she's always up for a race.
Bob23

kickingbug1

"the weatherlys" might disagree
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Oh, I don't mean she has no competition in a race...I'm not a racer and don't care to ever get that competitive that I loose sight of the reason I sail: Fun! But she's been known to be no slouch, even if her owner is!!!!
Bob23

kickingbug1

cw021382

Bob, it's all in good fun.  Amanda and I will try to keep up with the fleet during the "race".  It would be interesting to see real time how different boat setups compare.  We have older sails and a standard rudder.  We hope to see you there with the 23 in tow.  Now it's back to work.

-Chris

Bob23

Hi Chris:
  I have newer sails and a foiled rudder. If I make it out there with the boat, we could switch rudders so you could try it out. You'll be won over for sure.
Bob23

cw021382

Bob, I wonder how much if any difference it would make on my boat since I have wheel steering.  I have been waiting until after the cruise this summer to decide on keeping or pitching the wheel steering setup.  I am planning on new standing rigging and sails before next year. 

Chris

Bob23

I think it would make a big difference. Don't know that I'd like wheel steering on such a small boat. I like the feedback of the tiller not to mention the gained room in the cockpit. If I bring the boat, you can sail her, if you'd like.
Bob23