a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

As Thanksgiving is approaching, many thoughts are turning toward the sales that are available the next day. I detest crowds of coupon gripping shoppers so I decline to get involved in such silliness. I am however planning a Thanksgiving Day Sail, which is the only kind of sail that makes sense to me!!  Conditions look good and it may well be the last sail of the year. Then into the decommissioning ceremony the following day. But not to worry, good fall and winter rowing is here!
Cheers, all. And be Thankful!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

As all y'all know, Koinonia's Master does like to paddle his way around the bay Barnegat.  Well, did anyone here also know that this pompous propitious paddler also peddles paddles?  Here's a pic of  Bro Bob at his weekend job at Appomattox River Co. peddling paddles. (paddleva.com).

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Bob23

Hey there out in Compac land!!
  Did you ever hear that still small voice inside telling you to check the circle clip holding the clevis pin for the forestay on your 23? Well, yesterday I did! After work I headed to the marina to check on my baby and heard this little voice telling me to look at all the standing rigging. I discovered that the circle clip had been reduced to a thin wire and the clevis pin was well on it's way to backing completely out! In laymens terms, this is a bad scene!
  It's been said that God looks out for children and fools. And the sailboats owned by fools, I might add!!
Sail on my friends!!!
Bob23

Potcake boy

Bob,

Discovered the same issue once when the spring clip had turned to a rusty powder after only a couple of months. I feel much more comfortable using a bolt and fiber nut.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

H2operator

Hey Bob, It looks like you work for my old pal Bob Taylor! I used to boat with Bob In Richmond back in the last century! Tell him I said hi! Lance Ingram from NOC

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on October 10, 2017, 07:15:58 PM
Did you ever hear that still small voice inside telling you to check the circle clip holding the clevis pin for the forestay on your 23?

Having seen some mangling of the circle clip at the forestay, I drilled out the hole in the clevis pin a bit so that I could put a cotter pin in place of the circle clip.  No problem since then.  Its harder to get the cotter pin in and out, but I can live with that.  If you still want to use a circle clip make sure the clip is on the outside, not where the anchor rode or mooring pendant will pass and may catch it.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Good point, Curt. I also plan to use a washer.

H2operator

Bob, I'm confused, how can you live in NJ and work in Farmville?

Tim Gardner

The jig is up! That is a picture of Bob23's evil doppelganger, Bob24.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

H2: I drive a DeLorean. It's easy when you have a flux capacitor!

Bob23

Yesterday was fall 2017 decommissioning ceremony which is not much of a celebration at all! Raised sails in the slip where they got a nice fresh water hose-off, let 'em dry in the fall NJ sun and then rolled 'em. This year, they'll make a return to my sailmaker who'll check any loose stitching and sew some brown Sunbrella on the jib.
Next Saturday the 4th, the beloved and brave sailing yacht Koinonia will be hauled out, cleaned up and set on her winter bed where I'll begin to remove anything that doesn't belong there over the cold winter.
So that ends the 2017 season which, and I'm sure all will agree, I did not sail enough once again. Aha...there's always winter rowing!!!
Cheers!!!

Finbar Beagle

Bob,

Hmmm, never thought of rinsing sails and drying "on mast" before winter storage, but makes sense.
Yesterday I removed all extra stuff not needed for last sail.  I am always amazed by how much accumulates in the course of 1 season, including minor projects that never was installed...

Wind was too good not to hit the bay, and it was great day, light chop under 2 ft and gusts over 20, and best part, bay nearly empty of boats in my northern reaches.  Full main, no jib, and she pointed and ran well.  I did hear your voice  in my head, when I stalled on only one slow tack, say " boat is better balanced with jib and reeled main".  I admit to being too lazy to set the jib.  Roller furling headsail coming, maybe, in Santa's sleigh.

I will haul out sat or sun next weekend.

Question, wasn't that a lot of wind to raise sails at slip?  I guess you face south in slip? 

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Bob23

Brain, everything I do makes sense...unless it doesn't!
  I actually face North. The wind was light when I raised sail but it increased as the morning wore on. Koinonia kinda resembled a racehorse at the gate chomping at the bit to be set loose!! 
  It was a nice wind and I was tempted to sail but yesterday was a fine day to hang around the marina for the morning, enjoy some homemade soup on the boat and of course, a beer.
  A roller furler is very nice to have...I see no reason to sail without one. My 23  came with her CDI so I know no different. Maybe check some of the nautical consignment shops. None around here but I think there's a big one in Rhode Island or Connecticut somewhere. Or check Defender.

Finbar Beagle

Concerning roller furling, I will have North Sails on Rt 34 Nanasquan, quote the sail and CDI furler as package.  I need to replace working jib anyway, and they did my sails for the Siren 17.  Not cheap, but within reason and quality and service was very good.  They are local CDI rep and more and more, I like to make the local connections if possible.

But if out of park with the price, will hit web...

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ