Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Whatever is this launch date thing?

Congrats, Bob, on being off the hard.  I have to admit that despite being in the water continuously since the last haul out, September 2017, last year was the least I've ever sailed and I just now have cleaned up the boat for the late Spring.  I blame eight trips to to the lovely city of Mexico Beach, FL (well not so lovely now, but will be again) for limiting my sailing. 

On that front, however, significant progress.  After five months to get a permit, the outside work, top to bottom should finish this coming week.  Then on to the inside starting with removal of all ceiling drywall, insulation and HVAC duct work.  Then follows a complete every square inch fogging and thanks to the extensive knowledge of our Fleet Admiral, Tim Gardner, I have acquired all materials, equipment, and process knowledge to complete that task.  Perhaps, with the new management structure, the Commander will require that they come and personally inspect the job at some future date.

Bob23

Koinonia summer update:
  It's been a grand summer starting with receiving help bottom painting from Koinonia's ghost part owner. Shh...don't tell a soul!
  It's been a summer of self steering. Boat's gotten fed up with my erotic...oops! Erratic steering habits and has decided she'd rather steer herself. Which she does well, on a reach to close hauled in light and strong winds, locking the tiller clutch with a little play in the line and she holds her line well!
  It's also been a fast summer, speed-wise! Seems she doesn't like being cooped up in a boat slip so when she's turned loose, she gallops! For some reason I pass numbers of larger boats this year. And no, not passing the other direction!
  This is the 13th year together and you'd think I'd learned everything there is to know about this lovely 23 of mine but no, a few new lessons from today:
  First, it's good to untie both bowlines before backing out of the boat slip but the people next slip over looked like they needed a good laugh so what the heck!!
  Second, forward gear is not the same as reverse...confusing them causes interesting results like crashing the anchor into the bulkhead. It's all speculative you see...I'd never actually do this!!
   Cheers mates!! More to come. Fall sailing in NJ is the best!!

Finbar Beagle

Bob,

Rumor has it I may have also hit bulkhead, and even ran the bow up a little on the bow sprit stay last weekend when leaving the slip...thankful Hutchins built me a tank.

Always something new, when least expected.

See you on the bay...

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Bob23

Rumors Brian, just rumors. I'm always happy my 23 is built like a De Soto!
Cheers!
Bob23

philb Junkie19

OK who here does't know what a De Soto is (was) and who will claim they didn't?  As rugged as it is I'm afraid I can't compare the build on my 19 to our families back in the day Packard. The only floating thing I can think to compare with that great tank on wheels is the cast iron keel on my previous early Oday 23. A big rock didn't phase it but then there was the sudden stop.

Blown Away

Bob,
I must confess, the same happened to me last summer except it was my shore power cord that I forgot to disconnect instead of untying my bow lines and luckily I keep a safety line attached to the cord and no one was around to get a laugh except for me and my crew. Of course it was the crew's fault lol. No damage done and the day ended well.

brackish

I would never do something like that.  For instance, because I know that I have to back completely clear of my slip before turning or the port shroud will catch the corner of the covered dock, certainly it would never happen. No Chris (marina owner), don't have a clue how that flashing got mangled.

With regard to De Soto's my grandfather seemed to put car companies out of business.  Every thing he drove was destined to disappear.  He went through Packards, then Hudsens, then was working on Chryslers. De soto, then when the brand was discontnued, he drove Chryslers.  It wasn't Lee Iacoca that saved Chrysler, it was the fact that my Grandfather passed away before he could jinx the company.

Reighnman

Since we're all in the confessional. Father, it's been, well.... yeah that long. The first time I pulled my Siren 17 out of the water I got so fluster with others at the ramp I pulled away with the mast still up! Got about 15 feet until I hit a speed pump. If only it was captured on TV. On the positive side, I did learn how to use a rivet gun that fall.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

Koinonia update:
  She's being launched this Tuesday, the 19th day of May in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty. Slowly, ever so slowly over the past few weeks, she was being readied for this moment. The marina had a slot in their schedule, I have a slot in mine and so she'll get her first bath of the season! And then hopefully while everyone is stuck in traffic this weekend, I'll be plying the waters of Barnegat Bay!

Cheers me hearties!! Anyone close by is welcomed aboard! The 23 has a rather large cockpit so this social distancing thing shouldn't be very difficult.
Bob23

Bob23

Black Friday Sail!
  At 1030 hours local time, my friend Dennis and I departed under practically non existent NW winds for what could be the last sail of the season. Soon the Lord saw fit to send us a few whispers, then a gentle breeze or two and in no time, we zipped along hitting 4.7 knots at time. No records being set here but we were the first sailboats out and by the time we dropped the main, 3 other brave sailors followed our lead.

Twas a perfect day on the water and she could be hauled out soon for her winter hibernation; always a sad time.

Cheers! Bob23

Reighnman

Thought I saw the jolly roger on the horizon! Was on lake Atlantic today and came up to the light house in search of stripers. Was an incredible day for late November.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

Koinonia update::
  Dennis and I went out on a wonderful Black Friday sail- the only kind of Black Friday sail that interests me! You can keep all those other silly sales!! Light winds but increased enough to push the little yacht along nicely... dusted off a Hunter who was in hot pursuit! Although the 23's are not known for speed, I think mine is just the black sheep of the family; just won't conform! Hmm...wonder where she gets that from!

A few Sunday's later, my son Chris and I got out for unseasonable warm Sunday sail together! Nice winds, sunshine, good beer and I think she likes how he sails! In winds less than 15 knots, we hit a respectable 6.7 knots on the gps. Sure, we had the tide in our favor but so what? That's part of sailing as we had a greet time.

12/16 saw our intrepid little yacht getting hauled out for her winters rest with nary one barnacle! Amazing!! No wonder she seems to glide along well even in light wind! Monday I convinced friends Dennis and Kev to help me lower the mast and down it came, under complete control! Kev remarked that the mast gets heavier every year. Might be true, it can't be us getting weaker!!

And so ends another season under sail! It's been a great year of sailing and rowing, despite the intrusion of the rude virus which has come to stay uninvited. Rude, I say!

A very happy new year to you all! May your mast always point up and the waterline stay on the outside of the boat!
Cheers!!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Pointing UP is a referential point of view.  I prefer seeing the sky above my Windex!

So, with the temps in the mid 60s on Saturday the 2nd  S'Go and I will be sailing the first sail of 2021!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: Bob23 on December 30, 2020, 08:15:12 AM
12/16 saw our intrepid little yacht getting hauled out for her winters rest with nary one barnacle! Amazing!! No wonder she seems to glide along well even in light wind! Monday I convinced friends Dennis and Kev to help me lower the mast and down it came, under complete control! Kev remarked that the mast gets heavier every year. Might be true, it can't be us getting weaker!!

Bob,

That's exactly why ended up selling my 23 and buying the eclipse.  Since I always end up handling the mast by myself, I decided to give up some of the advantages of the 23 in favor of easy mast handling.  Just hope it's as easy as I think since I haven't done anything more than haul the boat home and put it in the pole barn for the winter.

Fred

Bob23

Hi Fred, and I can understand and agree with you wholeheartedly. I've sailed next to Allen's Eclipse down here in NJ at one of the Barnegat Bay Bash's a few years ago and was impressed with the speed! We were neck and neck in 23-30 knots of wind, I had 1 reef in the main and a few turns on the jib. He wasn't reefed at all and just flew! One of the things keeping my from buying an Eclipse is that I already own the 23! And I do like the accomodations below too. Plus, inviting a few friends for the annual mast lowering and raising ritual is a good time to gab and throw back a few cold ones!!

I keep the boat in a marina in the summer but I do admire the trailerability and simplicity of the Eclipse. Maybe some day...
Cheers!
Bob23