Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

"I have a marina that lifts my boat with thier travellift for 30 clams."

Wow! When I called about having my 23 lifted out the first season I was quoted about $250 for it. I used the local free ramp.

Shawn

Bob23

Granted, my little 23 is a very small boat for them. There are a lot of large sport fisherman type boats and smaller powerboats. In fact, mine may be the smallest boat they handle. I get along great with the owners of this small, blue collar marina and usually pay in greenbacks. I think they make most of thier money from slip fees and hauling and winter storage of these larger boats.
   They are in the process of a total bulkhead replacement project so I don't know if "the deal" will last much longer but it's close to my house (8 miles), the owners (father and son) are real good, down to earth, I-don't-stick-my-pinky-out-while-drinking-beer kinda guys. You know, the kind that hang out at CPYOA!
   I bought the boat at Fair Haven Marina in Fair Haven, NJ on the Navesink River. Jon Bon Jovi has a house right across the river from the marina. I paid about $240 clams for that haul and Bon Jovi never asked me over for coffee. Good thing- I can't stand him!
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Shawn on December 03, 2010, 08:20:33 PM
"I have a marina that lifts my boat with thier travellift for 30 clams."

Wow! When I called about having my 23 lifted out the first season I was quoted about $250 for it. I used the local free ramp.

Shawn

Yeah, that is a good deal, my old Columbia 8.7 (29') used to cost a $125 plus another $50 if you wanted it pressure washed in the slings and that was fifteen years ago.  You got three days on the yard with that to do your bottom before the daily charge kicked in.

The ramp at my marina is free for tenants and it is the best ramp I've ever seen.  Wide, long, straight, not too steep, but water gets deep quick and I don't have to use my extension; concrete is appropriately scored for traction; good floating dock adjacent for line handlers; and since it is not open to the public, never a wait.  However, my slip is $98 a month with an annual, advance pay contract.  I would save some by going month to month, pulling for the winter and storing at the house, but, since the self appointed overseers of conduct, taste, and value, (The homeowners association) have managed to install a covenant about that I leave it in all year.

Half a dozen additional ramps on Bay Springs Lake all good and Corps of Engineers maintained, if I needed to use one I think it would cost me $2.50 at the "honor"box with my senior federal parks card.

rip

Quotesince the self appointed overseers of conduct, taste, and value, (The homeowners association) have managed to install a covenant about that I leave it in all year.

Hey Brackish, Bet ya can't hang out your clothes to dry either. Hope I'm wrong. Tis a wacky world.

Bob23

When you live in a state that's known for over-regulation, it's a breath of fresh air to find people who have some common sense. Pretty soon here in NJ, we're gonna have to get a permit to fart! I used to live in a community where they told you what you could and couldn't do. I had to split that scene...I don't want to have to get some numbskulls permission to put up a mailbox, plant a garden, or keep a sailboat on my property.
   Maybe New Hampshire's got it right: "Live Free or Die".
Bob23

Bob23

"Koinonia" is at her new winter home in Surf City, NJ. At present, she's uncovered and not very happy. She's made it clear that she doesn't like the cold and wants her winter pj's on now. So, tomorrow and Sunday, the canvas coverwill be put on and she'll be tucked in for winter hibernation.
  For the first time, I've pulled my standing rigging for a thorough at-home inspection. I suppose 25 years is enough but they all look great except the bobstay which has obvious corrosion at the lower swage fitting. Time for a new one. I've used Sta-lok fittings on a customers SS lifeline railing system on thier condo...I may try it on the bobstay. They are very easy to use. Maybe I'll rig a test wire and try to pull it apart with the trusty Tundra. Hope I don't pull the rusty frame apart...that would suck!
Bob23
(ps: off to make a Grog!)

newt

Bob- my advice about a Bob-stay would to have it professionally swagged and then seal it with something. it is always getting dowsed and that whole area probably needs to be done in 316 SS and inspected often. If you are going to do a Sta-lok, coat the wire and connection with 4200 or something similar before you assemble it.

Bob23

Good advice, Newt. I'll probably have Defender make it. The original is still intact but has visible rust on the lower fitting. 
Bob23

Bob23

Well, Koinonia has her winter pj's on now and is all tucked away for a long winters nap.
It starts with this:

And here's her pj's:

and I'll be dreaming of these:

Sweet Dreams, Koinonia!
Bob23

Bob23

A few short posts ago, I mentioned that I'll be replacing my bobstay and Newt had good advice about having it professionally swagged. In talking to PeterG, who, after a few drinks, has a great eye for detail, and he had a great suggestion: Chain. Yup, you guys heard me right- chain. I'm gonna do it. I'd like to use bronze but can't seem to find any. Stainless steel would be nice and I don't mind spending the bucks. But I do have a lot of galvanized lying around and it would be easy and cheap to change out every year if it rusted. ( I sail in salt water.)
   I think it would look very salty...now if I can find a small mermaid figurehead...I'll get PeterG working on this one!
   Another idea I have that I'd like to complete is a teak or mahogeny number board. I have some mahogeny lying around and it would only take a few hours of carving and some gold paint. If I do it, you guys will see it first!
Bob23

Allure2sail

HI Bob23
Great idea...wish I could find a mermaid as well. Thought I would show you what I mounted on top of my bow light. I rescued "Ducky" from a yard sale in Noanc, CT. When I found out she quacked if it got wet I decided to us it for a "water over the bow" warning system. Now it tells me when I'm about to get soaked !!!!  Have to figure out how to replace the batteries now, she just about lost her quack at the end of the sailing season.

Bob23

Bruce:
   Ducky looks great and should be required equiptment and all Compacs! I'll keep a look out for another one...he (or she) is not quite a mermaid, though.
Bob23

newt

Bob, I think chain is a good idea- I just gave away chain that would have been about the right size- It was extra on my big boat and i wanted it off the dock....
Question- when you take down your mast, what holds your bowspirit up? Mine is kinda shaky, and I would worry that chain would bend it when transporting....

Bob23

Newt:
   When I take my mast down, I loosen the bobstay in order to remove the forestay. I'd remove the chain before transport just for good measure. When not under the tension of the rig, it is kinda shaky...I wouldn't walk on it. My bowsprit has a stainless steel frame that surrounds the wood bowsprit and is bolted to the front of the boat at the hull/deck seam. You can kinda see it in this photo:

You can also see my stainless steel anchor that I bought at a nautical flea market for 10 clams. It has the rare, Euro s-shaped shank. It was originally a straight shank like every other anchor out there but yours truly sometimes has a hard time backing out of boat slips and tries to bring pilings with him.
Bob23

newt

Yeah, yourse is the same is mine. I don't walk on it either :)