a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

My time in the water is coming to an end. The fearless albeit sometimes exageratitive Capt. Bob23 is planning the last sail of 2010 for this Saturday and a haulout on Monday, 11/29. I'm ready for a good long winters nap.
Soon I'll look like this:

Then, like this in my winter pj's:

G'night, All!
Koinonia...zzzzzzzzz

David

Bob23,  All I can say is that you take as good of care of Koinonia as I did of my first Admiral.  I thought I did a real good job like you, however she left me. 

Miss your long narratives since you have learned to post pictures, but the pictures more than make up for it. 
Enjoy your last sail of the season, and may it be a good one.

David

Bob23

A picture might tell a thousand words but I'd rather write a thousand words than post a picture. I just had to put to rest the rumor that I was so technologically inept that I couldn't post photos. But, it was the truth...I owe it all to you fine gents, coaching me along so I could learn that it was actually possible.
  Lemme see, what photo can I post today?
Winch, portside:

The Admiral and I in Cabo San Lucas, last year just around this time:

Cheers, All!
Bob23

David

Bob 23,
Beautiful clear water and the lens on that camera must have cost a bundle.  I believe you are a year older than me, but I look old as he_ _ looking at that picture of you.  Maybe it is because you drink that hard to find beverage.  I may have to try and find some of that.   
All your pictures are of excellent quality.  We are all glad you learned how to post a picture right after I learned how.  Keep those pictures coming.

David

Bob23

Thanks, David.
   I'm 57 but feel 157 sometimes. The Admiral, on the other hand, doesn't seem to age all that much. The nice thing about sunglasses is they make one look younger. Maybe.
  The camera is a basic Fujifilm Finepix Z33 WP (waterproof) point and shoot. 10 megapixels, I think. I bought it after my old Fuji got wet as I fell out of a kayak while out with my daughter.
It's a good, durable underwater camera that is not expensive. My son found reconditioned ones for about 100 clams. Comes in colors...mine's green- my favorite!
  More pictures and stories are in the works!
Bob23

Bob23

LAST SAIL AND HAULOUT:
   This past Sunday saw Koinonia and I out for the last sail of the season trying to tame winds that approached 7 knts. Needless to say I had to fasten my seat belt! Although it started out cold (30) the temp soared to 45 so no gloves needed. It was an uneventful but pleasant sail. Started out the 3 friends were signed on as crew but one by one, they all dropped out- must hae been the terrifying conditions!
   We came in early, me wanting to take advantage of the nice weather to drop sails and begin the fall decommisioning ritual, which I did.
   Next day, Monday saw a healthy layer of frost on the decks so some careful footing was required to keep from sliding into the drink. I removed the rest of the stuff the motor over to the waiting travel-lift where she was hauled, powerwashed and plopped onto my trailer. The mast lowering went ok- no damage or injuries. My pirate buddy Dennis and I have done it so many times that it's a "no brainer". Yeah, right. We usually forget something. This year it was the hinge for the boom vang. No problem, mon.
   While I'm buttoning her up for the winter, I'm reminded that I'd better get going on my winter projects- it's only 4 1/2 monthis 'till we sail again!
   The  Last Sail:

The BI turning bouy insid e Barnegat Inlet. To the right you can just see Barnegat Light:

Cheers from NJ!
Bob23

rip

Hey nice pics Bob23. As they say, "you've come a long way baby". So living down south in Jersey you sailed a week after they forced me out. But that brings up an interesting question(interesting to me at least). I thought if I had a trailer I could stay in on a mooring or anchor until decided to go dry. But you tell me they hauled Koinonia(being careful with her bottom ;) I hope) and sat her on your trailer. Hey, can you explain to me why you don't use a ramp? If a good trailer isn't going to give me that capacity, for example to take and launch boat wherever, I might as well get a clunker just so I can put my boat in my yard for the winter. Any and all input welcome from all the regulars of this thread.
PS. Those sails look mighty slack, guess that was a lull in the 7 knot breeze... ::)

brackish

So Bob23, noticed in an earlier post to this topic, you had a picture (glad you learned to do that) of Koinonia with a riding sail.  How does that work out?  After spending a couple "active" nights aboard at anchor, I've been thinking about trying one.

Bob23

Rip:
    I have a marina that lifts my boat with thier travellift for 30 clams. Same in the fall except more $ for powerwashing. She jsut stays on her mooring all summer. For the cost of trailer bearing maintenance and/or replacement, I'd rather pay my marina guy his clams. Plus I get to hang out and bs with 'em. To use a ramp, the ramp fees would be more than the marina costs. Plus I'd have to work around the tide.
   My trailer is not a clunker but it was when I bought the boat. I did a lot of work on it to make it roadworthy.
Brack:
    The riding sail reduces mooring swing to less than half and mine is an old design. Check out Banner Bay Marine for the newest designs. I would not moor or anchor wothout one. Not only is it more comfortable at anchor, it takes a lot of strain off the boat and mooring tackle. I've been on my mooring from zero wind to 60 mph with no problem except my nerves at that high wind speed! Hope this helps.  Mine being plain white is just begging for some graphics!
Bob23 

bmiller

Nice pics Bob.

Rip: To continue what Bob said, it's cheap insurance against future maintenance issues. I've paid as much as $200 each way and feel that's better than a break down somewhere in Mexico. Salt water is hell on trailers.
Fresh water is different, we splash and retrieve via ramp here in Colorado. Although when possible I will put $50 on the tab for the yard guys and have them use the tractor. This year the water dropped very fast and we lost use of the ramp. We had to pay for the crane day and have the boat placed on the trailer.

Tim Gardner

Bob,

I see you have reefing kringles on your jib.  Ever use 'em?

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

I BEG YOUR PARDON! I MAY BE GETTING OLD BUT MY JIB AND KRINGLES ARE MY BUSINESS!!! lol.
No. They were there when I bought the boat and I suspect that the sail was originally a hank-on and the kringles are left over from the hank-on era.
Bob23

rip

OK! Thanks guys. So just to follow up on your advice, if i am going to travel 50 to 100 miles to get to freshwater lakes a couple of times a year, and maybe 150 - 1500 miles to saltwater once a year, I should buy the Com-Pac trailer. When at freshwater OK to dunk the trailer. At saltwater either use a lift or wash the trailer thoroughly after any dunking.
Boat will be staying in what i think is(apologies to our fellow member)brackish water most of the time here a hundred miles up the Hudson.
Is it wishful thinking to consider trailering down to the Keys from up here? You know, like missing winter and camping on the Com-Pac for a season.
I have made the trip down the intracoastal(NY - Miami) in a boat that didn't go very fast or point very high in November, but it was a heavy 35 footer. Any wisdom about trying it in my 23? You know, as an "adventure." I have lots of time :) 
I probably should move this to the lounge but I don't want to lose anybody.
BTW Bob23, up here haul is 76 clams with tax , launch is similar...and I have been retired a long time. I repeat - :)

HideAway

Bob23

Do I understand this right?  It costs more than  30 clams to launch a boat at a ramp with your rig??  Only a couple of years ago we could launch at any county ramp for free.  Now its about 7 bucks total in and out.  It doesn't cost anything to launch at our sailing club but the ramp is truly from hell and we have storage fees all year here.   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

No Matt:
   They haul it out with the travel lift...I don't use a boat ramp. And in the Spring, they pluck it from the trailer with the lift and plop it in the water. No bearing maintenance for me! Did I mention that I sail in salt water?
   Thier season ends on October 15th so I usually end my sailing season with a post season slip at the marina. I pay my fees with beer...a better currency than greenbacks!
Bob23