Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Mr. Toad:
   The solar panel is front and center. Of course, me being a wood guy, I had to make a frame of Cumaru (Brazilian Teak). Lower left is the Garmin GPS antenna which I realized after I put it there  is not a great location.
   The 2x4 frame is part of my winter storage cover system. I have more detailed photos of that but hopefully none of us are thinking about winter storage yet.
Bob23

mrtoad

Bob23

My pleasure, sir.
HOW MANY DOCK LINES CAN ONE FIT ON A COMPAC 23?
At least 15! That's how many I used to secure "Koinonia" to her boat slip during the ferocious Hurricane Irene. I laughed at myself when I stepped back to admire my work- she looked like a sailboat caught in a spiders web! But if we got 100 mph winds like they forecast, I wanted to treat the lady right and make sure she survived.

Bob23

rmotley

Impressive - I put 10 on my 1985 23' in New Bern, NC on Thursday evening - I could not figure out how to secure that many - putting another 5 lines on an identical boat is amazing. 

Good news is that I received a phone call this morning that she was floating with no apparent damage.  I will be making the trip for the coming Holiday weekend to do a complete check - I hope everyone else on this site that were in this storm fared as well as we did. 

Today I am blessed and thankful.

Bob23

Well, truth be told, it was only 14. But I tied a linemans hitch in the middle of a 5/8 line, secured it to the bow cleat and each end was led to opposite sides of the boat. So I'm counting it as 2.
I really got into a line lashing frenzy. I'm sure most of the powerboaters there think I'm nuts. Now, where in the world would they get that idea?
Bob23

Bob23

Fall news:
   Koinoina will be hauled a bit earlier than usual. I'm planning to rebed the stanchions, bow and stern rail and cleats and the genoa tracks.  The teak was all rebedded when it was reinstalled this spring. She really doesn't need this things...no leaks but I'm trying to keep her living in the manner to which she's become accustomed. Planning to rebed with 4000...any advice? Seems like 5200 is overkill.
   She'l also get her fall maintenance coat of Flagship varnish on all the teak. Next spring planning on barrier coat. If I don't get sidetracked sailing!
Bob23

jthatcher

and how early is early?    Adagio is out of the water, but i still need to make a trip down to cover her up and to pick up the engine and some other things to work on over the winter...     this guy has some very definite opinions regarding bedding material as well as other things marine related..   what he says seems to make sense to me..  let me know what you think.   http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

i was wondering about doing the same thing at some point..    the barrier coat idea sounds interesting too..   i will actually get my first look at the bottom of the boat when i get down later this fall..  (  ok.. i  admit,  i did not have the boat pulled for an inspection when i bought it in the spring..)    i have my fingers crossed, but  i have no reason to suspect any problems..    we will see!      i will let you know when i make it down.   jt

Bob23

Do let me know. It's true- I say early but I've been known to keep sailing into December. I was thinking of early October this year but if I know a few guys are coming down, maybe we can do a group sail. I met Marty of Compac 16 fame on Saturday and we'd like to get together. Most likely it will be the first weekend in October or the weekend of October 15th or sometime during the week. The weekend of 10/07 is the sailboat show in Annapolis and we like to make the pilgrimage each year.
   About not having your boat pulled for a pre-sale inspection, I did the same thing with Koinoina (then named Septembers Love) Yuk! I never saw the bottom, the sails, or heard the motor run. I took a gamble based on Compac reputation. First time I gambled and won.
   Thanks for the rebedding link. I think I saw that before but forgot it so your timing was, uh, timely. I will definitely incorporate some of his ideas in my rebedding plan. In other news, has the Susquehanna subsided at all?
Bob23

Salty19

I love the comment in the link about the 'Devils Glue" aka 3M 5200.   So true.

This stuff should be avoided on all repairs except perhaps reattaching the deck to the hull, or on something that you truly will never remove EVER.   Folks use it when chaulk should be used to the dismay of whoever had to remove the part in the future. 

I'm actually installing a nice fat eye this evening for a tether.  Will be using DAP 232 sealant (no silicone).  Great trick about beveling the holes!!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

jthatcher

hi bob,
  the first weekend in oct i have duty here in the dorm at school, and the 15th we have a long weekend.. there is a chance that i will head to NH that weekend to help my son out with some building projects..  but, if not..  that would be a good weekend to make a trip to jersey!

thanks for asking about the river..  it is amazing how quickly it can  go down, leaving so much destruction in its wake.    i have actually not left campus since we returned on sunday..   so i have yet to see any of the problems first hand.   i guess it is time to do that. 

i saw that you met up with Marty - that is great - it would be fun to get together with a group.. if not this fall, certainly next year!    i have a few ideas about some improvements that i would like to make before putting the boat in the water next spring, and i am sure that i will have a lot of questions for you before i tackle them.   i hope to see you sometime soon.  jt

Bob23

Looks like Koinonia will be hauled out for her winter hibernation on the week of 10/17. That gives me one more week and one weekend of sailing. Of course, this could change depending on the weather and her skippers mood. But I do need to stay on top of the rebedding project and doing it in cold weather ain't no fun 'tall.
   When I get the boat home on her trailer, it usually takes me a day to clear all the cushions out, remove, sort and clean all the lines, pull the electronics, and, and...you get the idea. Plus I need to get wax on her topsides before she's buttoned up for the winter.
   I took my canvas cover to Fisher Canvas in Burlington to have him cut it in half. I originally had him make this cover in one piece, which he did, but either it's getting heavier or I'm getting weaker because I could barely get it up and over the mast (ridgepole) last year. This year, it'll be easier with a grommet and lap seam in the middle.

If anyone is in the market for a last-a-lifetime cover, I would highly recommend Fred Fisher in NJ. No more poly tarps for me! Plus I love the smell of real canvas.

Bob23

brackish

Plus I need to get wax on her topsides before she's buttoned up for the winter.

What do you use, Bob, and does it make the decks too slick?

Bob23

On the decks I use some kind of traction wax...don't remember the exact name. Truth be told, I am very lazy about waxing the non-skid decks. More truth...I'm quite lazy about waxing above the rub rail. But I'm fanatical about the sides of the boat. Go figure?
  On the topsides, I use 3M paste wax after using some light compound. Applied by machine but removed by hand.
Bob23

Bob23

Today was Koinonia's sail up to her fall home at Long Key Marina in Waretown, NJ. She was the last one left at her home mooring in Surf City:

Twas a wonderful sail with WSW winds 18-25 with higher gusts, clear weather and no boat traffic. Temps were in the 60's somewhere so a sweatshirt was nice to have. Under single reefed main and 1/3 of a 130% genoa out, we still hit 6.6 knots over the ground. She seems to like this kind of weather...seems to have been built for this. I was quite glad I wasn't sailing in a clorox bottle as we did get hit with some gusts broadside numerous times.

Now it's fall sailing in the Barnegat Bay. I was planning on taking her out early this year but then I remembered..Carpe Diem. Sail on, friends!
Bob23

skip1930

Your sailing with the head sail partially furled? As the sail becomes smaller it rides higher, like the Royals on a clipper ship.
Must work OK?

skip.