Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

LOL,

That is a fancy version of what was on my Columbia 8.7.  That boat had nothing more than a heavy cotter pin for a sail slug stop.  Hole was drilled in one side of the mast slot at about a 30 degree down angle, and you just pushed in the cotter pin till the other side stopped it.  Worked perfectly, the down angle and slight pressure of the cotter pin being barely open kept it from popping out when the sail was up or off.

No lanyard on that one, just always kept a spare cotter pin on board.  I've had my CP 23 for eighteen months and had lost three sail stops.  Had that Columbia for 16 years and never lost the original  twenty cent cotter pin. :)

curtisv

Quote from: brackish on November 02, 2010, 08:51:16 AM

No lanyard on that one, just always kept a spare cotter pin on board.  I've had my CP 23 for eighteen months and had lost three sail stops.  Had that Columbia for 16 years and never lost the original  twenty cent cotter pin. :)

Wow.  3 in 18 months.  I only lost one sail stop in 10 years.

I did lose a pair of needlenose once.  Maybe a screwdriver, they can roll.  Or maybe I lost some other small tool, can't just be one.  Other than a cotter pin now and then that's about it.

Oh yeah - I did lose a non-critical peice off the top of my furler that didn't cost much just took a few weeks to arrive.  That wasn't my fumbling that time.  If fell to the deck and bounced and then splashed.  And a pair of boat shoes, but lost that off a stationary dock.  ... oh - and a cell phone went mysteriously missing after a sail about 10 years ago ... maybe I have dropped a few things.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

"Man, am I bored. Bob23 hasn't been out sailing me for about 4 or 5 weeks. I know he's had his hands full but that's no excuse. Here I sit, all alone in the chilly NJ bay waters with this dang north wind blowing 20-25 day after day, it seems. I know he's waiting for the right day to sail me up to Forked River where a friend, (PeterG I think his name is) graciously offered his dock space to me till I'm hauled out for my winters hibernation.   BTW, my big sister "Beagle II", a CP 27 usually lives here but she came out ON TIME! HINT, HINT, BOB23??
   Maybe someone here can talk some sense into him. I hate to do something drastic, like break loose to get his attention but if I have to stay here much longer, I might just cry. And you don't want to make a grown woman cry, do you?"
Koinonia

Bob23

Tomorrow, Dennis and I will motor/sail Koinonia up to her November home at PeterG's house. He has graciously offered his dock to us until haul-out time on November 29th or 30th. On the day after Thanksgiving when everyone is going mad with thier Black Friday Sales, hopefully, we'll be out on my version: Black Friday Sail! Where would you rather be? In a mall full of sales-crazed, coupon-clutching housewives or on the Barnegat Bay close hauled in a vintage Compac 23 while sipping hot coffee?
   A full report will follow for those interested and those too bored to read anything else.
Bob23

Bob23

As promised, Dennis and I set sail 0930 hrs on a northerly course into a nnw wind 15-20 knts. Actually, we set motor for the first couple of hours we motored into said wind. We then made it over to the mainland where the wave action was less. After reaching Flat Creek, we unfurled the jib and tacked over to the ICW where we intersected at marker #53. Then in was more motoring up the ICW until at last reaching marker #48, we gave Miss Nissan a rest, raised a single reefed main and jib and started to sail. We had lots of deep water due to an abnormally high tide so grounding was not an issue.
   Now in Barnegat Bay, we continued to tack into nne wind on a wonderful sail. The wind subsided a bit so we shook out the reef in the main and unfurled the jib to it's full size. Soon our destination was in sight, the lagoon entrance that ultimatly would lead to the home of the gracious Capt. PeterG. We decided to sail in rather than motor in until reaching lagoon #7 on the right, dropped all sail and motored up to his dock where we tied up at 1530 hrs. And amazingly, I did not, repeat, did not hit anything docking. Yes, it does happen occasionally!
   Koinonia now sits proudly at her bigger sisters home port awaiting just a few more sails until haul-out on November 29th or so. Stay tuned for more adventures!
Bob23

Bob23

"One picture is worth a thousand words."

Koinonia at rest.

THE rudder!
Bob23

David

That is a beautiful work of art.  I do not believe there is another foiled rudder like that in existence.  It belongs in a museum. 

curtisv

Up until now none of us thought it existed and now we're all jealous of Bob's fine varnished rudder.

Bob - fine looking vessel and an attractive background as well.  I like the riding sail.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Salty19

WOOOHOOO is right!

Can't wait to see more pics of Koinonia!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Thanks, Mates.
   There would be no pictures here but for the encouragement, prodding, and general teasing by you fine gents. Last night I sat down at my HAL 9000 and, following Tim's instructions, I was finally able to post photos. I had had a photobucket account all along but never messed around with it. Thanks for all your help, mates, but I'm afraid the site will never be the same!
   Next, I'll try to program my DVD player!
   In a way, the rudder does belong in a museum. While it looks great and I'm quite happy with the change in performance, I think I made the body of the blade too wide and that my contribute to the still present weather helm, although it's much reduced. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's still a vast improvement over the flat blade and even though I've kissed the bottom a few times this past summer, no damage at all.
   More, I repeat, more photos are inevitably forthcoming!
Bob23

rwdsr

I don't believe it!  There really is a Koinonia, I've finally seen her with my own eyes!  The rudder looks good too!  Good work Bob!  LOL

Bob D.

1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Tim Gardner

We've created a MONSTER

IT LIIIIIIVVES!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Quote from: Tim Gardner on November 19, 2010, 08:06:58 AM
We've created a MONSTER

IT LIIIIIIVVES!

TG

You're right about that!  He's learned how to do it and is now unleashed!  It is the end of an era!

Kidding Bob, boat looks great and rudder looks like a work of art.  Keep 'em coming.

Bob23

MWOOOOOHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!! SOON THE WHOLE WORLD WILL BE MINE!!!!! Oops... sorry. Kinda went to my head.
   Here us a shot of my father in law at age 88 in his kayak.

And here is one of my favorite shots of our cove showing Koinonia off to the left, to her right is my son's Irwin 21 FreeSpirit "Gannet" and to extreme right his sunfish.

Bob23

newt