a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Koinonia- you old crockpit you! How did your master fare with his surgery? Never did hear about that much.

Bob23

Newt:
   There must have been some kind of communication breakdown. I had the last rotator cuff surgery done in 9/2008 and it's healed quite well. I have something going on in my right knee that the doc wants to correct...says i'ts not nearly the rehab time as the shoulder. I've been putting it off but now that I'm slow at work, maybe now's the time. Can't wait!
    I figured I'd save some money and while I was under for the shoulder, maybe they correct the obvious brain problem but when I came to, I was disappointed to find I was just about the same. "Too old to get parts for and even used brains were becoming a rare. I fixed both shoulders but you'll just have to run that old brain 'till she gives out, then junk the whole thing." What a guy...I couldn't fault him for his honesty!
   Someone suggested I was getting old but that can't be right- that's just for old people!
Bob23

Bob23

LOSS OF A DEAR FRIEND:
   Like most of you, I get to use tools in the maintenance and improvement of our Compac. Early on in my life, I developed a love for fine tools. As an air-cooled VW mechanic trained by German and Italian mechanics, I got to use and purchase some fine German made tools, many of which I still own today althouth they might be a bit scattered here and there.
   As you may not know, the Vice Grip was invented by a Danish machinest who came to America.  I think we'll all agree that it is one wonderful and versatile tool. I keep one aboard in Koinonia's tool box at all time. At least until last Saturday.
   I was aboard installing a pair of anchor brackets on the bow rail. Yes, I carry an anchor on the bow pulpit, ready to be deployed but being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I wanted a second anchor up front. Besides, I like 2 anchors out- reduces swing.
   I used the Vice Grips to squeeze the bracket together so I could install the bolt. As I was tightening up, the Grips slipped off and good old gravity took them to thier final resting place in the miry depths of the Manahawkin Bay.
   "Farewell, faithful old friend. Oh, the cruelty of life that you, all well oiled and polished should end your days thus and not passed down from generation to generation. Oh, the unfairness of it all! Not having a magnet, I commit you to the depths to join the rest of your brothers, tools dropped by sailors of days gone by. May you find solitude and peace among the creatures of the deep!"
Bob23 

Wiggs

and the vice grips are thinking "did you see that, that old guy that kept us locked up in that rusty old box, for a split second was not focused on keeping a tight grip. I saw my chance and I took it. I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeee!

newt

You guys need therapy- you know that don't you??? Personally, I would have dived after them- then I would have not only lost my grip, but also come home with pneumonia.

Bob23

You would not be the first man to say I've lost my grip! Maybe I should send my therapist down there after them. Oh...almost forgot- my therapists name is "Koinonia"!
   Not being one who accepts defeat easily, I'm gonna borrow my son's big magnet and do some probing. Hopefully the next installment of this story will be entitled: "The Prodigal tool returns home". Stay tuned or is that stay tooned!
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on October 11, 2010, 11:06:35 AM
   You would not be the first man to say I've lost my grip! Maybe I should send my therapist down there after them. Oh...almost forgot- my therapists name is "Koinonia"!
   Not being one who accepts defeat easily, I'm gonna borrow my son's big magnet and do some probing. Hopefully the next installment of this story will be entitled: "The Prodigal tool returns home". Stay tuned or is that stay tooned!
Bob23

Well when you find the grips, then you can come down here and help me.  I've got at least three sail stops down under.  I find the curvature of the 23 deck and the shape of the sail stop is perfect for a one bounce launch to Davey Jones locker.  No magnets here, those things are stainless.  From now on, push pins on a lanyard.

Did spend several hours diving for a pair of expensive and well liked sunglasses I dropped over.  Found them.  Of course I now wear a floating neck strap on the stems.

Salty19

LOL...yes the deck on the 19 is also designed specifically for one-bounce track stop launches into the deep. 
Two for two so I would say the design is pretty efficient. 

Bob, the short tiller is 31" overall and 25" from vertical top stern edge of cockpit to foreward end of tiller.   The 25" measurement is what you'll want to shoot for.
Definitely would not do this without a foiled rudder as it reduces leverage ( I need one to two fingers on the tiller with an IDA rudder so leverage does not matter).  But the shorter length does allow for company in the cockpit to have plenty of knee/leg room as well as clearance for the skipper to move about.  I really don't see any negatives unless you like to scoot way forward often while sailing.  I believe this is right around 12" shorter than standard, maybe a tad less.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

curtisv

I keep at least two of every small thing that could jump overboard when launching, retrieving, or tuning the rig.  Two pair of vice grips.  Two pair of needlenose pliers.  Plenty of screwdrivers, not sure why.  Extra cotter pins, cotter rings, clevis pins.

Also a good idea to get some 1/8 inch line and tie a short lanyard to each tool.  I've used the same rusty vice grips and needlenose to adjust the stays for about 10 seasons and the spares are looking good having almost never been taken out of the tool box.

Still, not everything goes perfect.  This year I forgot to bring the ladder when retrieving.  Makes it a bit harder to board and take the mast down once the boat is on the trailer.  Even harder getting back down.  If I were still in my early twenties I'd just jump but that was quite a few years ago.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

I always thought about tying the tools off with a small piece of line but "I never drop anything overboard" was my rationale. I don't plan on letting those V-Grips disappear without a fight, though. In the event that they do, however, I am comforted in the fact that, while they were here, I gave them a good home.
   I never have dropped a sail stop over. Dang! I never should have said that! I do keep a rather complete box of spare rigging parts on board- cotter pins, clevis pins, clothes pins (but no bowling pins) as well as spare shackles, blocks and whatever else I think I might need but really know that most likely I'll never need.
   I also keep a box of electrical parts, wire, etc on board. I buy those divided boxes by Stanley at Home Depot...you know, the ones with the little yellow sub-boxes inside. Quite durable and you can remove any of the little yellow sub-boxes to get at the particular part you  need without waking the others.
Bob23...I'm going sailing today!...and V-Grip hunting!!!

rip

Quote from: Bob23 on October 25, 2009, 05:31:01 AM
    around Cape May
Bob23

Hey Bob23, not sure if the recommended route has changed in the last ten years, but you might be better served by using the canal across the tip of that cape. Best, ralph

Bob23

Yes, Ralph, the canal saves a lot of time and is defintely safer. I hear that going around Cape May and up into Delaware Bay can be rough at times.
Thanks,
Bob23

rip

Wow! How my suggestion on the Canal ended up attached here is amazing to me. I know that I tried to post it after a comment Bob23 made much earlier about taking a trip to the Chesapeake. Certainly not related to losing anything over the side. Hmmmm, I'll be much more careful with future posting. Sorry folks.

brackish

Quote from: rip on October 28, 2010, 09:04:37 AM
Wow! How my suggestion on the Canal ended up attached here is amazing to me. I know that I tried to post it after a comment Bob23 made much earlier about taking a trip to the Chesapeake. Certainly not related to losing anything over the side. Hmmmm, I'll be much more careful with future posting. Sorry folks.

Not to worry rip.  With casual inspection you will notice that this particular topic tends to meander with the boats themselves often jumping in to offer opinions that may show a complete lack of respect for the actions of their captains.  Plenty of room for drifting off on tangents on this one. 

curtisv

You have to take a sail stop out to reef and I've managed to drop one.  I keep a spare in the sail slot just above the gooseneck and one in the toolbox.

If you have a spare things don't jump overboard because what's the point in doing so.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access