a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Well, not much of an adventure here. My skipper, Bob23, once again worked too much this summer and sailed too little. Still, we had some great sails together. I can't blame him for working what with the economy not too great. He treats me good...keeps me looking pretty and living in the manner to which I've become accustomed. It's fun to see the jealous glares of the "other" sailboats in the harbor. Yeah, I'm that hot.
   We're getting ready to leave our summer mooring in Surf City, NJ and head up for the fall to the famous, albeit low-keyed "Long Key Marina" in Waretown, NJ. A fun place, a beer-drinking blue collar kind of marina where even the powerboaters are friendly. Not much competition here- only a few sailboats live here but the price is right for a protected fall slip. I'm looking forward to gettin' my keel in some new waters.
   We never made it to Tice's Shoals this summer. Well, here in NJ we only had half of a summer anyway. It seemed to rain all of May and June. Maybe this fall we'll do an overnighter or two.
   Fall sailing around here is great! No crowds, no bugs, great wind and the colors of the oaks and maples doing thier best fall show-offs in back of the cedars, pines and junipers really makes looking west toward the mainland spectacular.
   Bob's sailing buddy Dennis and his 1970 Morgan 30 went out a few times. You should see the two of 'em downing a few cold ones while looking for informal races. She's a sleeper, that Morgan. But fast, darned fast. I think there's only one local sailboat who's beat her. Me, well, I'm a Compac 23, as you know. I'm not fast but a heck of a lot prettier.
   Well, inspite of the fall slip, the sailing season is coming to a close up here in NJ. Soon enough I'll be picked up by the travel lift (hey, pal- watch it there; that tickles!) set on my trailer and cleaned up real nice. Then I'll put on my canvas pj's for the winter, snuggle up inside and hunker down for a long winters sleep. Then before I know it, spring will be here. I don't know how he does it, but while I'm fast asleep, old Bob23 varnishes, sands, cleans, rewires, and generally makes me a better boat than ever. He's so clever, I never even hear a sound!
I wonder what he's got planned for this winter. I thought I overhead a new built-in porta-potti, maybe a chart plotter and I'd love that mahogeny manuvering board installed. Whatever he does, it'll be sweet. He sure is lucky I allow him to think he owns me!
Till we meet again here at the Compac Owners site, Koinonia...out

Craig Weis

That was a cute testimonial from a happy boat.
skip.

Mundaysj

Hi Koinonia,
Your twin Blond Ambition is also headed out this coming weekend.  So sad to see them on the hard!
Take Care,
Sherie

PS... How is that old engine running?

Bob23

Hey there, Blonde!
   I was wondering where you were and, Presto! there you are!
   I'm only moving to my fall slip not coming out of the water. I'll be hauled on or about November 14th...there's some good fall sailing to be had down here at 39.705 degrees North lattitude.
   After a bit 'o fussing and cussing, new fuel, plugs, and clearing of the water exhaust port, it rns ok. We put it on my sons boat (1970 Irwin Free Spirit, 21') and it served him well. It takes about 20 pulls to start but, hey, he's 28 years old so he's got the strength.
   How was your sailing season? I've been wondering where you've been, Blonde, and what kinds of adventures your skipper has taken you. I envied you when I read about the trip to the Verrazano. My skipper, old Bob23 worked too much this summer but he's trying to make up for it now. We had a great sail yesterday up the fall slip...sunny, warm, West winds...just a pefect sail. I like to feel the sun on my sails- helps me to keep up on my tan. That's right, folks, we Compacs look our best after a bit of tanning
   Best,
   Bob23

Bob23

Fo48:
  Don't know if it was me but could've been.
   Here in NJ on Saturday morning, more rain in forecast. But tomorrow, ah, tomorrow, me hearties is gonna be sunny, temp in 60's, and NNW winds 16 gusts to 23. Oh yeah! Guess where I'll be?
   "Koinonia" is in her fall slip; had a great sail up on Wednesday...West winds 10-15 mph...sailed all the way from Surf City to Waretown and never changed my point of sail. We have had some high tides here so I felt confident sneaking through the infamous and deadly "Strait of the 5 Hidden Islands". Yes, you heard me right. For you non-Jerseyans, allow me to explain: Between Sloop Sedge Island and Gulf Point in Barnegat Bay are 5 former islands which still lurk just below the surface, eager to drag any unsuspecting mariner to a watery grave. No one knows where all 5 are, but I know where 2 are...found 'em with the keel of my vessel a few years ago...only time we ran aground and decided not to stay there long...so we left.
   Well, here's to a wonderful fall sailing season. I've toyed with leaving "Koinonia" in all year...'twould be cool to go for a New Years Day sail but she says "No way. Get me home in Novermber, put on my pj's, and off to sleep I go till spring." Who can argue with a lady like her?
Bob23

Bob23

Your'e right, Fo48. Hey, man, what's your real name? Like Joe or Bob or Bill or Phil?
Up here in NJ, Barnegat Bay is a wonderful sailing area with a rich history in sailing. If you've ever seen the Melonseed Skiff built by Crawford Boatworks, that boat has it's origins only miles from my house as the old Parkertown Skiff, as the legend goes. A relative of the Barnegat Bay Sneakbox. Some trivia facts, men. Don't worrry, there will be no quiz.
   I'd love to sail in the Chesapeake sometime. A dream sail I have is to go down the NJ coast, around Cape May, up the Delaware, through the C&D canal and down to Annapolis...a nice dream.
   But for today, it will be just a daysail over to Tice's Shoals, a walk on the beach maybe some lunch and then back to the slip. We'll be out for a few hours anyway.
Bob23

Bob23

Hey Frank:
   Never heard of that podcast but I think there's a book about that trip. I vageuly remember it from somewhere. Many memories are vague these days. I think that someone rowed the circle. I'll have to check that one out.
    I really loved that old SeaPearl and would have liked to have it converted to a tri-miran and build a removable hard cabin top for her. Maybe. But my love affair with the 23 goes on and I feel we'll be together for a long time.
   Finally got out yesterday and sailed North to Toms River and back. Just a good old sail with a good old sailing buddy. I was amazed at how many sailboats were out. If there was one there were 50!
   I'm only 56 years old so save some SS$ for me!
   Best,
   Bob23

Bob23

Thanks, Frank..I'll check it out.
Bob23..spending way too much time on this site.

Bob23

I was a bad boy.
  Cut out of work and went sailin' for a few hours. It felt great! Like a fool, I spent most of the last half of this summer and beginning of the fall working when I could have and should have gone sailing for a week, like I planned. (I'm a bif of a self-confessed work-a-holic).
  But today, ah today, wind was light (5-12 knts), sky was a bit overcast, temps in the high 50's and the beer was cold. Headed out from Waretown toward Tices Shoals on an Easterly course
just for the heck of it. I guess there was a current drawing us south and soon Dennis noted that the water on the starboard side was lighter than the port side. Then it happened...that dreaded feeling of the rudder blade dragging on the bottom. It's a very short warning, but soon we would be aground. But did the intrepid "Koinonia" give her crew what they deserved? Nay, nay. She instantly came about and off we  scooted to deeper water and happier crew.
  Soon the next round of brews were opened and we toasted the fact that we were moving and not aground.
   Not bad for an afternoon which could have been wasted working!
Bob23

nies

BOB, WAY TO GO!!!!!! YOU DONT KNOW HOW GOOD IT FEELS TO HEAR ABOUT SOMEONE SAILING IN LATE OCTOBER WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE BARN FOR THE WINTER. NORTHERN WISCONSIN IN OCTOBER WILL HAVE ONE DAY LIKE SUMMER( PUT HER AWAY TO EARLY ) AND THE NEXT DAY LIKE WINTER (SURE GALD SHES PUT AWAY ). THERES ONE THING FOR SURE YOU NEVER GET BACK IS" TODAY", GO SAILING.........PHIL

Bob23

Thanks, Phil:
   Same here. Right after I put "Koinonia's" pj's on, it might get warm and toasty for a bit. But then again, putting her away when it's gotten cold and is gonna stay cold is no fun. I'm toying with leaving her in through Thanksgiving. 'Twould be nice to sail before sitting down for dinner and a good way to get out of the house during all the dinner-prep madness! 
   I guess, as with most things, it's a matter of perspective. I envy the lower lattitude sailors for thier extended season but feel bad for my northernly brothers because it gets cold earlier.
   Just looked at the map- Northern Wisconsin is up there, man. Where do you sail, Phil? Lake Superior? 
   On the subject of cold, just read an article in "Messing About in Boats" about a couple of Royal Marines who sailed/rowed thier Norseboat 1400 miles through the Northwest Passage. MAIB is not online but is definetly worth looking for and subscribing to. THAT'S COLD.
   Bob23...hoping to sail tomorrow...again.

nies

BOB, I LIVE ON LAKE COUDERAY IN SAWYER CO. ,THE LAKE IS 9 MILES LONG AND VARIES FROM HALF A MILE TO ,A MILE HALF, OVER 5000 ACRES, DEPTH FROM SHALLOW TO 90 FEET, CLEAR WATER, NO WIND TO GALES .WE ARE ABOUT 75 SOUTH OF LAKE SUPERIOR(DULUTH). THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN, JUST SAIL FOR THOSE OF US FROZEN IN PLACE.....PHIL

Bob23

Phil:
  Thanks...I'll toast one to my northern brothers when I'm out. I thought tomorrow was gonna be nice- now they say 50% chance of rain and high 58 degrees. Right now at 39.705 degrees North lattitude and 074.260 degrees West longitude it's 67.5 degrees F and drizzly.
  Stay warm!
  Bob23

newt

I think what you guys were talking about earlier in the thread is the "Great Circle" route were you start in Chicago, go down the Mississippi and tributaries to the Gulf, sail the gulf around Florida, up the east coast and back through the Erie Canal to the Great Lakes and then to your starting point.
I have been wanting to do this trip for a while. Yes there is info on it, and even a website I believe.  Do you guys want to get a bunch of Compacs together and see what we could do? It would be in a few years for me- got to retire first. But I can see the end in sight! Or maybe we could do pieces of it. I could probably start up North and go down to the tip of Florida. Would that be two or three weeks of cruising?

Bob23

R-E-T-I-R-E?
   I can't seem to find that word in my dictionary. I am blessed with a wife who is totally out of touch with the financial reality we live in. She quit a decent teaching job about 3 years ago, allowed her certification to lapse and is in a dream world, thinking that things will just get better by themselves. Even though we own our home and cars and, more importantly- boats, and have no credit card debt,  I'd be surprised if I didn't have to sell something just to survive this winter. And it ain't gonna be "Koinonia". It is the slowest I've ever seen it in the residential construction field right now. Tough to bid against the illegals around here when you try to run a completely legal business.
   That is the circle route that I had in mind. I'd love to do some kind of extended cruising sometime. I'd planned to go 'round the horn this past summer but, damn, work got in the way.
I suppose we should keep this on the back burner..see what it boils down to, eh?
Bob23