a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Coastal Carolina Com-Pac Rally?

Started by Bramble, August 21, 2019, 10:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bramble

This whole thing started with a thread on the C-16 website regarding folks expressing interest in the OBX 130, a cruise from Cedar Island, around Shackleford Banks and back via Cape Lookout. 
   My flip comment that we could set up our own resulted in AirborneJarhead making the above title comment (hey, I'm not taking all the blame).
   Several other C-16s & some larger boats chimed in, then some folks from Virginia. 
   Setting up a Carolina Com-Pac Cruise seems to be in order. (Disclaimer: I am NOT an organizer/supervisor).
   I'll just throw out some parameters & see what folks come up with.
1.   Needs to be on the sounds/rivers if larger (non-trailerable boats) are to participate.
2.   A time frame/length of cruise/projected date needs to be established; A weekday departure would be preferable (if possible) to avoid crowds at launch sites.
3.   A route/timeframe that is practical for the C-16s.
4.   It would be nice to have a restaurant with adequate docking/parking space for an after cruise dinner to coordinate our stories to establish alibis and plausible deniability.
5.   A bailout option for weather.
   Possibilities of departure points (from my local/limited perspective) would be New Bern, Oriental, Beaufort, Cedar Island, Ocracoke...
Let the games begin

mike

Bob23

Do it!! Just do it!!

13 years ago the Barnegat Bay Bash was born (known back then as the Compac Convergence) and has been going strong ever since! it's resulted in lifelong friendships being born, old friendships being renewed, lots of sailing adventures (and a few misadventures), much food, beer and rum being consumed and a renaming ceremony that even King Neptune was proud of!

Loose organization is a key along with flexibility, as one can never count on Ma Nature to conform to our plans. And sensing the need to keep the spark alive in the cold winter months, we came up with the Mid Winter Gathering idea where we meet each January at a different restaurant to catch up, eat up and drink up and talk of the next BBB!!

Cheers!! Do it!!!
Bob23

AirborneJarhead

I'll take some well deserved blame...or credit, whichever gets this done! I'd be willing to assist Bramble in organizing and supervising (using both terms rather loosely) a rally. New Bern would be a great starting/stopping location what with a great marina, access to big water and of course, great bars/restaurants. I'd be trailering there from Charlotte, myself.
As this would be the first CCCR (why do those initials look familiar?), maybe just a cruise down to Oriental and back? Seems like a nice and long day sail. What do you guys think?
Chime in with your thoughts and suggestions.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

geeman

New Bern to Oriental looks like a good trip.  I would not be able to make a long day of it but Minnesott beach looks like about half way and there is a marina there - no knowledge of it, just looked at their web page. 
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Mas

Quote from: AirborneJarhead on August 22, 2019, 01:00:09 PM
I'll take some well deserved blame...or credit, whichever gets this done! I'd be willing to assist Bramble in organizing and supervising (using both terms rather loosely) a rally. New Bern would be a great starting/stopping location what with a great marina, access to big water and of course, great bars/restaurants. I'd be trailering there from Charlotte, myself.
As this would be the first CCCR (why do those initials look familiar?), maybe just a cruise down to Oriental and back? Seems like a nice and long day sail. What do you guys think?
Chime in with your thoughts and suggestions.

Add this to the list!      https://www.abbreviations.com/CCCR

Yup, there are some Virginians who might hook up someday!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bramble

New Bern to Oriental is approximately 24 miles.  At 4 knots this is six hours.
Halfway would be Beard Creek, Hancock Creek, & a little further Clubfoot Creek. These are good anchorages. Minnesott Marina is good.  Matthews Point Marina in Clubfoot Creek is very good.
This is supposed to be fun, so adjusting schedules should not be an issue...& with sailboats & wind, it is inevitable.
(thanks for the support AirborneJarhead)
mike

fried fish

I am imagining tides on the Neuse River would play into this sail.
Sailing against tide or into the SW wind might be a drag.
Food for thought,
Fred in Southport NC

Bramble

Fried fish,
surprisingly not.  The Neuse flows into the backside of Pamlico sound, not the ocean.  The distance from the ocean (40 or so miles) & the expanse of the Pamlico as a buffer results in no tidal action.  Now Beaufort or the Cape Fear region are very different stories.
mike

Bramble

geeman,
I seem to recall you mentioning that you were aiming for a fall launch.  What time constraints are you anticipating?
mike

geeman

I think I'll have the important bits put on by mid September.   She''ll be rough looking I'm sure, but should be floating.   I'll still need to break the outboard in however and that might well be the sticking point.   The manual says I need 5 hours of pretty low revs and then another 5 of only moderate revs and that's likely more water time than I'll get before the CCCR.  If I do get it all together, I'll try my best to make it, but don't hold up the train on my account.    Either way, I'll plan on having dinner with the group.
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Bramble

No problem there. Just keep the revs low during the trip & keep account of the time running.  If you need to go faster than low revs...we'll tow you.
mike

AirborneJarhead

So what's the timeframe we are thinking about doing this? Late Sept/early October? We will need to get it pinned down soon so we working stiffs can ensure we get the time off to make the trip.

I'm fine with any itinerary the group agrees on. The Oriental trip is a bit further than I thought. I've never sailed those waters so this will be a first time evolution for me.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

Bramble

OK, I'm throwing out a time frame:
Sept. 28 through October 6.

Bramble

(sorry, premature posting)

1. is this doable?
2. how long a trip?
3. What part of this time window works?

For New Bern to Oriental I'd suggest a four day trip.
For a shorter trip we could launch out of New Bern,  with options to raft up, anchor out, etc.

What say ye, mateys?

wes

For those of us who keep our boats on the Pamlico or lower Neuse, it's a long way to sail to New Bern for the start of the event. I would be in favor of a more central gathering spot such as Oriental, with a destination such as Ocracoke or Beaufort/Cape Lookout.

However I may be in the minority here (my boat is on the Pamlico, near Bath) and I'll find a way to participate if the majority prefer a New Bern gathering.

Happy to serve on the organizing committee if I can be of help!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina