Main Menu

Coastal Carolina Com-Pac Rally?

Started by Bramble, August 21, 2019, 10:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bramble

Rick,
Family always come first.
I'm sorry for your loss.
We'll try to arrange some other insanity for the future that you can join in.
mike

Bramble

CCCR
Oriental, NC
Charlie, Pacific Seacraft 34 (Com-Pac owner emeritus) sailed down from New Bern
Wes, C-27 sailed from the Pamlico River
Mike & nephew Jamison, C-16 trailered in
After tying up at the docks we were met by Glenn (C-16) who drove down from Rocky Mount for supper
   We ate at M&M's & were joined by Craig & Sara (no H).  The main topic of conversation was the weather.  Wes had experienced a white knuckled run before a 25 knot wind on a reefed main.  NOAA had predicted 10 to 12 knots.  Unless conditions changed radically, the trip to River Dunes would be beating into a hard headwind & heavy sea.  Glenn drove home and the rest of us retired to the docks for libation, lies, & music...both from the festival and of our own making.
   Saturday dawned (ok, mid-morning-ed) to very heavy seas & high winds.  Charlie volunteered to be our bellwether, setting out under reefed main.  We had decided that any report that had any qualifier (i.e. "it should be ok") would mean no-way.  Well, there were no qualifiers.  Charlie stated that he was headed back to New Bern...and he wasn't taking out the reef.
   Jamison & I daysailed, first into the river with four foot seas & 20+ knot winds then we retired and sailed up the creek, good winds & flat water.  Evening found us back at the docks for more salubrious good fellowship. 
   The remainder of the crew departed after coffee. 
   All in all, a good trip, a very good trip. 

geeman

Thanks for the rest of the story Mike.  I much enjoyed the time I was able to spend with the group and I learned a lot.  Good folks, good food.  Can't beat it!
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

deisher6

Hey; thanks for organizing the rally and allowing me to participate.  I had a great time.

I think that Craig and Sara were on an O'Day 26 or 27.

The lower Neuse was indeed choppy Saturday morning.  I saw just one motor boat and one sailboat until rounding Minnesott Point.  The upper Neuse is much like lake sailing most of the time while the lower Neuse is much like sailing on the Sound.  The upper Neuse (or Pamlico) may be a better place to plan for a future rally. 

I have been fortunate to have sailed with a several members of the CPYOA, always impressive and interesting.

Again thanks.

Smooth Sailin'

regards charlie

AirborneJarhead

Sounds like a good time. I truly hate I couldn't make it. Mas, so sorry to hear of your loss. Good call to stay with the family. Poor Ocracoke, eh? We hope the campground, businesses and residents will be back on their respective feet in time for the tourism season next year. Hope to make the next CCR rally!
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

wes

Mike - thanks for the post event wrap-up. Just for the record, John and friend Lisa also showed up at the dock on Saturday wile you were exploring the creek. They came by car since John's boat wasn't ready to sail. We had a fun hour sharing CP 27 notes!

I do agree that lower Neuse sailing is always unpredictable, unless you have a mighty PS 34 like Charlie's. My return trip north on Sunday should have been ideal sailing on a sunny, windy day, but was marred by a wicked 2-3' running swell leftover from two blustery days. It shoved me around all morning, chased me up the Bay River, and was waiting on me when I reached the Pamlico. Not much fun.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina