a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Coastal Carolina Com-Pac Rally?

Started by Bramble, August 21, 2019, 10:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

For those not familiar with Oriental, there's an "official" anchorage against the breakwater just outside the harbor, although it's relatively exposed to the mighty Neuse and could get bouncy for smaller boats if the wind is blowing. There is good (more protected) anchoring in Smith and Green creeks (go under the high rise bridge). Oriental Marina & Inn is booked up, but there are other marinas - check waterwayguide.com. River Dunes is the swankiest and also the furthest away. Some are a dinghy ride or car drive from the town center. Oriental is a friendly place for visiting sailors.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Bramble

Wes
do we have a semi-official head count?
mike

geeman

Wes, Mike - I'm planning to have supper with the group on Friday evening but don't plan to drive back down on Saturday.  Hate to miss out, but that's just too much road time for an old guy :) .
Glenn
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Bramble

Looking forward to meeting you.

FYI,
a link to where the town docks are in Oriental.
NC Wildlife boat ramp website

mike

geeman

Ok.  So it's the Smith's Creek ramp on Midyette Street.
http://www.coastaltravelguide.com/NorthCarolina/Pamlico/BoatRamps/OrientalRamp.htm
I'm not familiar with Oriental, but those directions should do it.  Thanks
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

deisher6

Hey, I am an old sailor and sometimes drift.

I just sent Bob23 a personal message that should have gone to Tim Gardner.  Then I found a PM that I had not seen from Mas possibly looking for a ride.

You are both welcome aboard.

Here is what I was thinking: (Open to suggestions and tweaks)
Depart Duck Creek  1400 - 1600 3 Oct to Hancock Creek (MCAS Cherry Point)
Depart Hancock Creek 0700 to Oriental  join up with the ComPac's 4-6 Oct
Depart Lower Goose Creek 0800 6 Oct to Duck Creek  (should arrive around 1700)

-Hancock has a dock with power, head and shower. 
-I have a yet untried Boston Whaler Squall w/o sailing rig for a rowing dink.  I still need to put bottom paint on it plus a couple of minor touches.
-Hope to get a free slip at Oriental with an early arrival, around 1000, from Cherry Point.
-If the dink is working plan on anchoring out at Lower Broad Creek (River Dunes)
-Saloon cushions are off boat being replaced.  I have been sleeping on an air mattress on the starboard settee.  V-berth is open as is the port (un-cushioned) settee and the pilot berth.
-I will be glad to supply: beer, ice, rum,coke, water, sandwich stuff, some freeze dried meals and some snacks. Fuel is also no problem.
-Duck Creek Marina is directly across the Neuse River Bridge from New Bern.

Please let me know if it works out.

Looking forward to the trip.
regards charlie

wes

So, I believe we have 4 boats confirmed:

Mike (16)
Wes (27)
John (27)
Charlie (PS 34 flagship)

Three who will not attend:

Terry (Razor)
Bruce
Glenn (geeman), supper on Oct. 4 only but no boat

There are two that expressed some interest but have not confirmed:

Rick (airborne)
Grafrig

If any of this is incorrect, please let us know.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

AirborneJarhead

Hi guys,

I'm still trying hard to make it. Work demands have increased the last few weeks and are really cutting into my boat work/sailing time! I probably won't know if I'll be able to go until next Wednesday or so.
My plan was to have Little Wing all painted up nice and pretty and have new cushions in her...instead, she just sits there quietly mocking me every evening I come home.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

John

We are not sure we will make it.... our CP 27 is still in Huricane mode and may not have time to get her ready. We may drive over Saturday.

Bramble

OK folks.  I just made a dinner reservation for 8, at 7:30 PM Friday night at M&M's cafe.
I think this thing is going to happen.
mike

geeman

1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

AirborneJarhead

And I am out. Not going to make it. Sorry guys...
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

Tim Gardner

Vicki's surgery has been moved up to this coming Tuesday, 10/08, so preparing for her rehabilitation at home will prevent my participation,  Truly wish I could be one of Deisher's crew.

Have fun, and plan another. The flesh isn't weak, but the marriage/partnership is stronger!  Bon Voyage!
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bramble

Tim,
I was looking forward to meeting you, but I guess that will be delayed.
I'm praying for Ms. Vicki, & for her caretaker.
mike

Mas

Hey Mike, Mas here. Have been lurking on this thread and indeed as Charlie suggested I had PM'd him regarding coming along with him since we both share a love of and have Pacific Seacrafts, and the Eastern NC scene. Actually had met Airborne Jarhead on Ocracoke this past May and soon realized we both have Compac 16'S and still have fond memories of sailing in the waters around Ocracoke. I will not be aboard Charlie's PSC secondary to the unexpected death of my wife's brother recently and knowing my presence here is important for her and the family. Wishing you all fair winds and will lift a glass at 7:30 tonight to all.

Rick  (Mas)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2