News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A little "Together Time" (The saga of a CP19)

Started by MacGyver, March 25, 2013, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Holy Boatshine Batman!

That's going to look so sharp when it's put back together.

Looks like Wrinkles, Knot Fast and Island Time have some real heavy competition for prettiest boat at CLR now with Together Time putting some skin in the game.   

However since the title of Most Decorated Compac at CLR is based on overall results in all categories--the race, Dockside Demeanor (aka show and shine), Best Sailing Hat,  the infamous CrazyCarl award (which you really don't WANT to win!),  you still have some work cut out for you.   ;D ;D ;D 8)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greene

I love the idea of a "CRAZY CARL AWARD" at all future CLR's. 

I need to get back on Wrinkles and practice that nifty lawn chair snagging maneuver.  Hehehe!

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Mac:
   That is really beautiful. Great job! I hope when you do my 23, she looks just as good!
Bob23
(One can only wonder what the Crazy Carl Award will be!)

MacGyver

LOL You guys crack me up

I started putting the hardware back on starting with the compass..... that was a good place to begin to point me in the right direction...... (my wife came up with that  ;D )

That set the mood for the evening as my friend Brad and I installed some of the transom things.
Ginger (my wife) shined up a port hole, and it looks pretty good. the inside of the boat should look really good too with that extra added touch!

We used BUTYL TAPE for the first time! WOW, I really love that stuff, it is AMAZING!
Both Brad and my wife said "Man this is easier to clean up than that Life Caulk! They werent kidding!

We also put the outboard motor bracket on, which my friend and I believe needs a backer plate after hanging the new motor on it..... Also, since my motor bracket is different from what I have seen on everyone else's boat, we are wondering whether or not it is going to work as well as it does of everyone else's boats...... It looks as if it is going to interfere with the stern rail..... time will tell..... Sunday the stern rail goes on.

Did I mention BUTYL TAPE is AMAZING??
Well, I dont have any pictures to share, because the phone wont upload to photobucket........ so much for smart phones.....
Oh!, and Use BUTYL TAPE, IT IS AMAZING

Mac  :D :D :D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

jason,

i removed the bow rail from our boat this afternoon and found little to no sealant under it.  there was more dirt  than anything.
i can't believe water wasn't pouring in from there.  the inside of the rail was full of water and what appears to be spider nests.
after blowing it out with the air hose and letting it sit in the sun for 3 hours, i installed it using butyl tape.
i found cleaning it up with interlux 202 solvent did a nice job.  however, i did get some on the bottom of my shoes and tracked it in house. 

we'll see how long this stuff lasts.  small craft advisor magazine has an article in the latest issue about butyl tape.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

Mac:
  I get the funny feeling that your'e trying to tell us that Butyl tape is amazing? And I thought you were a life-caulk-no-matter-what guy. Glad you saw the light! I've used it for bedding my stanchions on my 23 and it was great. A bit sticky in hot weather but if I'd managed to track it in the house Carl style, I'd be pushing up daisys right now.
Carl:
   I subscribe to SCA but haven't read that article yet...to busy drooling over the Melonseed Skiff ad on the inside front cover. The boat, not the girl sailing it. Great magazine.
Bob23

Harrier

MacGyver

Carl, the Butyl tape is nice stuff, does seem a bit messier than I thought it would be......
I had some bolts that I bought that ended up being too long, so not I am going to clean them up so I can return them. I am going to try mineral spirits.... hope that works.

Today and yesterday I spent the entire day, breaking bolts, bolting things back on, and sealing things up. Also installed a headliner which was interesting to say the least.

I spent I cant tell you how much time running into and out of the cubby holes in the back to attach or rebolt things.... Horrible time wasted....

I had a lot of fun installing the rubrail.. The sun peeked out and we would stretch it in the drive way then run in and put it on. A few tries and it was good finally. My buddy had to leave (after putting in a 8 hour day here with me!!) and we didnt get the rear rubrail on.
So far, I have the port and starboard portholes to install, all the woodwork and the genoa tracks and both side winches and cleats that are by the winches.
I would say another couple nights work will have this baby done.
Then it is off for a bottom job I think so we can clean up all the cushions and such in the garage. ..... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.......but it still looks so damn far away.......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

jason,

must be nice to have someone to help out.  i haven't been able to remove and re-install anything but the bow rail because i have to work alone.  crawling inside the aft storage area to run new stern light wire was a chore in itself.  there was one point i wished i had my phone to call the fire dept.  then i decided "no, they'll cut my boat apart to get me out". i was so stuck i just laid there for some time. joanie was out and i visioned her coming home to a nasty odor emanating from the boat.  she would have someone investigate, only to find my carcass wedge in some grotesque position.

obviously i made it out,  but it left me with scrapes and bruises everywhere.

i'll have to pick your brain at CLR as to the best and easiest way to remove the ports.  i want to clean up the interior teak.

carl

Harrier

Mac, Not all butyl tape is created equal.  I bought a couple rolls from Compass Marine.  Not messy at all.  Clean up is a cinch.

MacGyver

Harrier, I bbought mine from Sailrite thinking that would be good, it is kinda stringy somewhat, but when I cut with my plastic razor blades, it is clean as can be, and looks fantastic. I just need to take my time..... My grandpa kept pulling it all off right away, that doesnt seem to be too good, but can be cleaned up later.... it all worked out.

Carl, I should show you the way I get in and out of the boat. you are skinnier than me, and if you have any upper body strength you should be able to snake in a bit quicker. Still a pain, but it works good.

UPDATE FOR TODAY:
The boat is about a day from starting paint on the bottom. I have the boat together mostly, only needing woodwork, Portholes, and a few fit and finish things.
I also need to get a little wiring done on the boat so the mast can work this year....... I have the wiring fitting, but just havent put it all in yet.
I am kinda starting to pick what jobs to pass on........ at some point it would be nice to see if I can still sail that boat.....

Here is a few pics that I was able to upload before that darn Photobucket app quit......

Hopefully in the next few days I will have nice pictures with it outdoors, I plan to pull it from the shop maybe tomorrow to get the shop cleaned out, or Thursday late for sure to take it to the marina to lift it.
I will be sure to post pics for everyone to see..... it sure looks nice.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

jason,

i may be thinner, but i'm older and not as pliant as i was at your age.  :D

carl

MacGyver

LOL Carl, My grandpa says age is a figment of the imagination, but that the aches and pains arent,  :D

Today, "Together Time" made its first appearance outside the shop. Here are some pictures.
She goes to the marina with me in the morning to be lifted at some point for a paint job on the bottom. That will really spruce her up a bit.

In this picture you can see how the rudder is setup now with the foil done.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

J-Mac: Yo,yo,yo...she looks great! My 23 is coming around the corner near your house right now!
Great job...hope I can see her in person some time. You sure did a lot of work in a short time. Congrats! I raise my paint cans to ya!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.