News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A little "Together Time" (The saga of a CP19)

Started by MacGyver, March 25, 2013, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

I hereby nominate Mac as the official repainter of CPYOA members boats. All in favor say Aye!
Bob23- Aye

Salty19

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

InertBert

Eagleye

Looking GOOD, Jason!
I can't wait to see the final job.

AYE here too, Bob.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

MacGyver

You guys crack me up, and I appreciate the compliments!

My wife has had me busy visiting the in law grandparents and doing things around the house..... Maybe tomorrow I can get the side stripes done, and hopefully soon I will get the deck primed!

Man this is taking a while, A sailor at the marina told me today that I am not missing any sailing, He wouldnt go out during this flooding, too much junk floating around.
Made me feel better not having it done yet ;)

Mac

(I am guessing you guys are gonna line em out out front of my house? LOL)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Well it looks like the ayes have it.
   The motion is carried. As the instigator of this paricular shannigan, I'll volunteer my 23 as the first MacPaint project. Thanks, Mac. You really are a swell guy! We'll put the boats anyplace you want. I'll leave Saturday morning...btw- how long is this gonna take?
   Your repaint is giving me another reason to head west to CLR 2013.
Bob23
(ps) Can you do mine in jet black? I think a beige deck would go well, don't you? You will be revarnishing all the teak, right? And the bottom paint? I didn't think you'd forget that!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Gardner

Piling on again Bob?  BTW mine is the first in line for jobs east of the western Penn Border.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

Technically, isnt my boat the first MacPaintJob? LOL

I can see I am going to need to buy more land to get shop setup....... this isnt going to be cheap....

Today I finished sanding the deck, wore myself out, took a nap, then got back to it.
Sanded some more corners, etc. some spots that were missed and such.

Finally ended with a hot water damp cloth wipe down of the whole deck. Dried some spots before I left em for the night.

Here is the game plan according to what my paint rep and I solved out as far as prep work, and procedure for the deck.

I have sanded almost everything with various grits of 80 to 150. Green scotch brite and red scotch brited the non skid rope look areas in the cockpit. Green scotch brites are a waste of time in my opinion.... It was all my wife found at WalMart..... During a trip to Menards, I saw them and bought around 8 pads. Went back over the knotted rope areas.

I also used scotchbrite in the areas that are harder to get paper into. This worked well.

Next I plan to 404 PrimeKote the deck, 2 coats, except the knotted rope areas.
The knotted rope areas will just be painted with their prospective coatings.
I have done the 2 seats and the gray turned out well, no non skid additive for the seats.

Pics tomorrow probably.
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

lochinvar

<Following with rapt attention and anxious anticipation>

MacGyver

Todays work was tough, but she is sitting under primer on the deck! YAYA!

After 2 days being robbed from me from what we believe was food poisoning (NO DETAILS......Your Welcome!)
I finally (after work) got to prime the boat, using Epoxy PrimeKote 404.

This was a tough job to say the least...... Lots of rolling, lots of corners, and looks to be a lot of re smoothing when I get in to sanding the primer.....
Not a big deal, better having it in the primer than the paint.
I have done a experiment for everyone as well, I stacked 3 coats of primer on in one night..... OMG!?!?!??!
Yes, 3 coats in one night....... So the real question is, .......will it be good??

Only tomorrow will tell, here is some pictures of how I left it tonight. Lets hope no cracks, etc from solvent entrapment tomorrow.

Without Risk, There is no Reward. (Heres to hoping I don't eat those words! LOL)

Mac

Sanded deck, so prior to priming with Epoxy Primekote 404.

Tonight's work:

-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

I guess this is proof as to why your'e called MacGyver! Looking nice. I can't wait for mine to be done!
Bob23

Billy

it's gonna look brand new!

Great Job Mac!!!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

HideAway

Very nice work Mac -- You are an inspiration!   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

ribbed_rotting_rusting

I await the results---though not holding my breath--that didn't work out so well. I admire your determined and almost driven desire to turn your boat into the ultimate re-done 19--actually more like any re-done  small boat. Mike
P.S.---Keep all the pics and vids---I see at least an article sometime in your future in DIY mags--if not an e-book. I know you are doing YouTube, an excellent way to get your expertise out there. Since you mention the product you use, you might include one or more shots with the product container in it. You never know when someone needs that DIY touch of the real world. I know there are people on this forum that know a he-- of a lot more about this stuff than I do, but make sure you document and keep copies of anything you post if in fact any other opportunities present themselves in the future. It would be kind of a drag to see presentations done out of you hard work without some type of acknowledgement about where it came from. I know you can let people use your stuff as long as they say who it came from, and even set conditions like they can use it as long as they aren't using it in some money producing effort, and if they are that you are entitled to some of it. I guess what I am also saying is your results will be so impressive as to use as an example to other DIY types.

As you can see I have money on the brain right now, the middle of April (15) tends to do that to me.   Mike

MacGyver

:D Thanks everyone!
The stacking of the coats of 404 paid off, and it looked really good. The next part was a real pain......

I am still sanding with 220 grit, and a shout out to Wes, Thanks for the quick response on email, It made me rethink what I was doing and I gor my second wind.
The issue was it was sanding extremely hard...... and I was wearing out. I used my 5 inch Milwaukee variable speed (HIGHLY recommend a variable speed) random orbit sander.
I would turn it way down and use it for some of the areas and the big flats I would run it close to wide open.

In around 3 hours, I was barely a 1/4 of the boat sanded..... it was sanding like concrete.... and I was pissed off. Didnt help I bounced my head off a Harken Hoister I have in my garage and bout knocked myself out (seriously, that had to be the hardest I have ever hit my head....)

Not making much progress, My wife came out to encourage me...... which I handled horribly. She said at one point "WHO in their right mind would use this stuff?!?!?!?"
A call to my Interlux Rep (to chew him out for even having me use this wretched product) and a email to Wes, knowing he had done this job before, I sat and waited for a response.

Wes set me straight with the answers (and quickly! THANKS!) I needed, and after a call to my grandpa to borrow his identical sander, my wife started sanding with me. We tag teamed the boat and it is about 5/8 progression before we quit for the day.

This has been a lot slower than I thought it would go. This is harder to sand (in my opinion) than GelKote.
I can honestly say that I cant wait for the project to be over with, and frankly, can honestly say, unless your retired, dont start a project like this till near winter..... give yourself a lot of time. (My opinion of course....)

We plan to sand more tomorrow after I am home from work. Hopefully in a few days I will be rolling paint..........  ;)

I also just ordered my outboard from OnlineOutboards.com
Tohatsu 6hp, 25 inch shaft.
The local dealer I asked for a price from well over a week ago still hasnt got back to me after a few courtesy calls, so I ended up purchasing online.... hate to do that, but I hate not to get called back as well.

While cleaning the shop, I found that I havent done anything with the gas tank seat cover......... and I found the unfinished Rudder project as well............
My list is long, but I am determined to be completed atleast a week before CLR....... That way I get one day of practice for the big race!  ;)

More later!
Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.