News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A little "Together Time" (The saga of a CP19)

Started by MacGyver, March 25, 2013, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Our boat is a ComPac 19/3
Hull number 513, built in 1989

We bought this boat after a pretty good search for a 16 (wanting to start small), netting it for just the right price. Turns out the original owner had a CP16, and after a trip sailing on it they went by the local ComPac dealer, who offered to buy the 16 (due to extreme demand for the 16) from them at a great price and sell them this 19 that wasnt selling, just sitting on the lot.
Little did the salesman know that the 16 had interior issues (stuff the PO said was issues from the factory).

They didnt even look inside the 16!! So they swapped boats, purchasing the 19, and down the road they went, Father and son laughing at the good fortune!
It was the widow that owned the boat now, and the son didnt have time to deal with it, so it was time to sell it. It had been sitting for 8 to 10 years with no cover, etc.
Knowing the structure of ComPacs somewhat, I knew I wanted the boat, it would be perfect for us. Our decision to buy was based on a series of events that had my wife and I wondering if I was going to live or die. I had been shocked by lightning and was in rough shape, unable to get any help from doctors who just simply thought since I was upright, that I was okay.
I was in a deep depression from the loss of my business due to the injuries, and we had just found out that it was common for survivors to suffer heart attacks, etc. With the chest pains, and no medical help, we decided that it was time to have fun, before I was incapacitated, or what not.

Before all of this I never went on vacations, I just worked, helped others, and helped my church. Even when I got married I did the same.
When I got shocked by lightning around a year later we went on our first vacation, which was a family vacation with her side of the family. It was a disaster.
This boat was to be for us, hence the name "Together Time"

The boat when we bought it was in horrible shape on the exterior, but the interior was really nice. She came with a main and 110 Jib.
Not much else... Getting her home was a whole other adventure. Probably one of the hardest adventures I have had.
We scrubbed and cleaned and waxed as the neighbors watched (none helping!! LOL) and after about 2 weeks of solid work, we had a full day set aside to launch her.

We joined in on our first CLR last year, and had several adventures with a roughly steep learning curve. One specific event was at CLR where I literally thought we were not gonna make it back to the harbor. We motored in, being still that we were new, as most every one else had sails up.
When we got to the dock I was glad to hear everyone say they were happy to have seen us drop sails so quick, and that we did good. We thought we had done wrong, especially after watching John J running his 16 full sail while sitting leisurely in the cockpit like nothing was going on!  :o

This year begins a new adventure.
We have started a complete repaint of the boat, to fix hull issues, and deck issues. We want to make the boat safer for us on deck, and reseal the boats hardware to ensure a leak free and fun year.

I have picked up sewing and am making our own canvas. We bought a Bimini! My wife is very happy about that.

I can also happily say that we found a doctor who has been working with me to get me well, and with diet change, and supplement plus a lot of muscle work, I might actually just about be in better shape than when I first got shocked.  ;D

I am going to use this post/topic to share the running project of the boat, since there is so many projects going on right now, for those that want to follow. For right now to have time to edit video for DIY projects, etc, this is probably the easiest for me to do while I am taking video of the projects, and dloading them to my computer to mess with later.

Thanks for reading!
Jason (MacGyver)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

:)
Here is a picture of the deck after so work with 40 grit to take off the knotted rope that was pretty heabily chipped from hail and also a micro issue within the knotted rope that was exposed even more so when sanded down.

The front deck is done as of today, what a bunch of work!! Now it is time to do the rest of the deck.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

this is why we dont have a "prettiest boat" award at the clr. seems i have enough enemies already i dont need more. point being when you finish your 19 it would be just too hard to pick the prettiest boat in attendance. given rich's flawless 16, knot fast. island time, wrinkles, and lil darlin. did i forget to mention "audrey J" ----no i didnt. cant wait to see your 19 together time----im already green with envy.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jthatcher

great story , great project, and, above all else..  great name for the boat!    something tells me that there is an interesting story associated with that  vacation with the family.. but we won't go there :) 

nothing like getting your hands dirty  ( and having the space to do that over the winter!)   i am sure that you will be proud of the finished project..  looking forward to additional pics!   jt

MacGyver

I hope she will be in good shape when I get her done Kick, It is a lot of work!
JT, Yesterday, we got all this snow, and it came down very wet, and heavy. I took my wife to work, and went and picked her back up for lunch then back to work with her. I got home and my truck wouldnt go into reverse or park...... man was I mad.... so I had to slide under her, and found that the entire undercarriage, from bottom of frame braces up to the floor boards packed solid with snow and it was SOLID.....

So with the truck in nuetral, running, I blocked and set the parking break and then got my hose out. shot out all the snow crap, took me 25 minutes..... I was soaked, and cold.......
If that boat wouldnt have been in the garage, with its stuff puked out all over the other side, I would have drove it in, turned up the heat and went and took a nap. LMAO  ;D ;D

So much for the boat being in the garage.... LOL

Anyway, here is a picture of the nonskid all gone finally. The seats dont have the issues the deck does, so it will stay, which I hope will be a nice contrast in the end.... a little classy in the cockpit area.

This is why I am sanding off all the knotted rope, it has lamination issues that were showing up by becoming pock marks. I am sure the hail they get in missouri helped a bit to bring this to light....

Close up of some it

Another close up.

This is the boat as she sits in the Garage, the sides are almost completely ready to go.

This picture shows what I do to paint the topsides, First I tape the water line, then I tape below the waterline but up against the last taping. This leaves a flow over of where I will paint with topside paint. Then When it is cured I will tape off going against this tape, 2 times, so I am above the water line, then sand up to the tape, and paint with bottom paint.
This is also how I will achieve the original striping also.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

Mac,

From strictly a logic point of view, I would think those voids occurred when after the Gel coat and first layer of polyester were sprayed into the mold, the fiberglass mat was applied and all of the telegraphed rope shapes were not subsequently filled with resin.  You will note the voids were ALL in the sanded off raised sections of the rope shapes.  These would have been the low points in the mold.
Your hull was laid up before the widespread use of vacuum bagging, or SCRIMP layup methods and so this could have happened the way I theorize.  This rarely happens these days, as resin is too precious to waste with thick layers.

Just my $0.02.  I don't think you have a real problem unless the fiberglass is wet.

TG 
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

Tim, I agree, I think  :D

I just said laminate because the is a reference to the structure. some of it was pockets in the gelcoat. And (which I should have taken more pics before I started) there was several sections that were repaired by the factory, and not really knotted rope.... more of a globbed pattern so to speak.
The color was a dead on match, and the gelcoat on my boat was in sad shape to say the least. When it sanded I watched it layer out and the color was through and through just like the nice knotted rope. My best guess is when it was popped from the mold, she was in rough shape.

it was also only in the colored sections of knotted rope, it isnt a problem in the cockpit nor a problem on the hatch's colored section which would have been made in another mold. There are some other issues around the rest of the deck where it is not right, but those will be a much easier fix that this is......
As I sanded off the knotted rope, more sections popped up of dry glass, which is insufficient resin during molding. this would also help to cause the knotted rope break down I am dealing with. this is a bit odd cause it looks like epoxy without glass in it that was first sanded......

Over all, not a big deal, as they are still a raised part of the deck, and when I get done with the intergrip, hope to see it as a ideal refinish instead of a regret. It took me around 3 weeks to make the decision......... not to mention the time I spent this winter thinking it over.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Cevin c Taylor

Nice to hear that you are recovering fine, and to see the progress on your boat.  On my to do list this year is to get my boat painted.

Smier

Glad to hear you are feeling better too!  Thanks for the pics and explanation, I learn a lot from this site, an I look forward to seeing and reading more in the future.

MacGyver

Update:

My wife and I have been working on it as we have time, so far we are a few hours away from having the sanding done. I am hoping this weekend to be able to prime the whole boat after a serious washdown to get all the dust off it.

I ground out around each cockpit drain and also the pass through for the fuel line and the bilge exhaust, filling it in with a 404 blend of West System epoxy.
The sanded down areas got a coat of Interlux 2000 primer, then a skim coat of fairing filler from System 3 epoxies. Now that has to be sanded down to get it ready for yet another coat of 2000 and then sanded for the 404 epoxy primeKote.

So far so good, and hopefully post a few pictures soon.

I have not been working on the rudder, or anything else for that matter..... :(

I really cant wait for it to be complete.........

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

I notice you are using West System and System 3. Any particular reason for mixing brands? Or is system 3 faring filler than the West System counterpart.
Bob23

Salty19

I was complaining to the Admiral the other day about "How much work I had to do on the boat this spring".

Shouldn't of been--you my friend are the one with work to do.  My buffing, bottom paint and teak recoat (ok a few other smaller things) ain't nuthin.

Cannot wait to see it and meet you and Ginger this July at Carlyle Lake!   8)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Bob23, This system 3 stuff is actually a compound mixture with everything premixed, so the thickness is there already, and it sands easy. It was actually a sample that a rep dropped one time a couple years ago. I took it home (IF ITS FREE<<, ITS FOR ME!) LOL

It isnt compatible with West System just because it is its own stuff. If I didnt have that to use I would use West System with 410 or 407 mixture powder.
Here is the link to there product, it is one of few that I like in the Epoxy field, and I would buy it due to its ease of use.
http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/SilverTip-QuikFair-c17.htm

Salty19, I have said to my wife, if we wouldnt have spent all this money in stuff for the boat this year, I would have paid someone to do the work for me, LOL
We cant wait to meet you guys too, and hopefully, I will have the boat completed by then! LOL

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Hehe..does one's boat ever REALLY get completed?  I think not...
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

ribbed_rotting_rusting

Mac, I enjoy your contributions. I think you are a hard worker and are serious about what ever you do. I also know how business and health issues can wear a man down. More than anything your posts put me in a good mood. You seem to be a man that will always bounce back, and  with out cursing the world while doing it, which can be the hardest part of all. You are also lucky to have a partner who shares your interests.
Medical  Science as practiced is changing, and many things that were poorly misunderstood or quite frankly not believed are being shown to be real. So much of the body is so complex that not even the smartest man could understand a problem or think of every study or test or treatment.  EHRs (electronic health records) are now analyzed by massive computing banks that can do more in a minute than a whole room full of researchers in a year. There are medical search engines that will look at research in 8 different languages so that a possible solution is not over looked because it is in a different language.  Well so much of that soap box lecture.
Anyway I admire your postings and cannot say that I have ever seen an argumentative or dis agreeable word out of you. You sir are a gentleman and scholar of a different time. Mike