News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A little "Together Time" (The saga of a CP19)

Started by MacGyver, March 25, 2013, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

May 23rd Update:

Today is my birthday. The big 32  ;D
The deck sanding isnt going as well as planned, I had hail damage and spent a lot of time on the phone for both vehicles, and the house..... explaining to friends and family, etc.......So not much work got done..

Last night I taped off the boat, and took pictures to explain the process for a seamless paint job... Today I painted it so I could feel like I was accomplishing something... LOL
I started by taping off 3/4 of a inch into the bottom of the boat, so that I painted further than I needed, which is then taped back upward and sanded off, to create a solid waterline..... boy I hope that makes sense.....

So now to get my original line back, I taped a 3/4 inch line, then taped above it.
This pic shows the green line raising the water line back up.

This pic shows the taping above the line that needs to come off.

The bottom line is then pulled off, and the bottom is sanded up to the new line, which situates the water line back to its rightful position.

This next set of pictures is of the top stripe, sadly 2 other pics where too blurry to make sense.... but I can explain with no issues.
I tape into the curvature with 2 inch tape. 2 inch tape holds a great line stability with barely any stretch which will cause waves in the stripe.
By running 2----2 inch passes of tape, one butting the other, I now have a 4 inch stripe. Due to the 1/4 inch curvature into the lip of the hull to deck seam, that actually comes to 3 and 3/4 inches. The original stripe was 4 and 3/4. So I follow up with a 1 inch stripe making the proper spacing.
Super easy, and pretty quick. Faster than using a tape measure to figure all of this out.

The front is a cut at a 45 degree angle, which was simple, I just used my roofing square and was careful to not be on bolts as to set my angle improperly.

After this, I tape yet again with a better line holding tape, butted to my layout tape. I then peel the layout tape off and use it to mask past my new tape line. This extra masking is used to allow me to run past my tape line when painting. I call the technique "over rolling" as when I paint I move fast, so I need the extra room to help give me a smooth finish.
Here are a few pictures of the paint on the topsides (the Platinum/gray color) and the now Blue stripe. Note the reflections of our Nissan Rogue and the new outboard  :D

Blue, First coat.

And lastly a shot from the front, showing some of that over taping that I did so I can over roll.

Due to the time it is taking from me to complete the boat, and other engagements, I have been unable to do much more than make videos and take pictures as I go along. I have not been able to edit video to show you all, or anything like that because it takes me a lot of time to do that stuff to make sure I get all the details I find relevant into the videos.
I will end up getting to make the videos later, after the boat is finished..... It is easy for me to continue to answer questions, etc though, so ask away if needed, and I will answer the best I can.
Thanks for following this massive job, I cant wait to reclaim my garage some day...... oh.... and go SAILING

Mac  ;)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Harrier

When do you feel it is best to remove the masking?  Right after painting while the paint is wet, or do you let it fully cure?  Curious what leaves a better line?

MacGyver

Harrier,
Typically I will pull tape when it is cured or right after the last coat.
I pull the tape at a 90 degree angle, this tends to cut the paint cleanly. I also use good tapes to run my lines and junk tapes to mask off surrounding areas.

A couple of paint types require the use of Fine Line tape. It is a vinyl tape that does a good job of cutting an edge neatly.

Most of your bottom paints can be done with a firm stocky tape that pulls a clean edge when done. I use a 3M green tape when doing 2000 and paint because the edge looks nicer when done. I pull tape on them right after the last coat of paint dries.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

This morning before I went to work I gave the blue its final coat.
Then pulled the tape, what a magnificent sight. Man this looks fantastic!

After work, My friend and I spent 3.5 hours sanding the deck..... to think that I had put in an hour before he got there, and have about  another 6 to 8 before that..............
Maybe I am being too picky...... who knows, but the good thing is, she is ready for paint TOMORROW!

Here are some more pics of the blue stripe.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

Mac,
What are you going to do with the rub rail?
I sure hope you go with the new one with the Stainless Steel stripe, like what is on the new Com-Pacs. That paint is way too pretty tut an old dry rotted rub rail on.

Just my two cents.

Looks fantastic!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

Billy,
I plan to use the old stuff actually just to save for right now. But your idea sounds interesting..... I might have to look into that rubrail next year. Buying that outboard I think finished us off, LOL

There is a dye like stuff that is supposed to "renew" the rubrail.... so we will see how that goes.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

What a fantastic day! First coat is applied to the deck!
This really helped to brighten my day, It is going to look fantastic if I dont say so myself!

Here are a few pics I shot before leaving the shop for the night. Looks like I only have a few sags,  ::) I might not even worry about them till the 2nd coat is on.

Tomorrow I might try for 2 more coats.

Mac  :) :) :) :)
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Well, after today all I can say is it looks as good as it looks. That is hard work, and now I know how hard it can be.
I rolled the deck, and tried to run as clean a shop as I could when painting the deck.

The final coat is now done, looks like it has covered all the primer spots, and seems to be as even as I could apply it....... The only way to do this job better is spraying (not a option for me as the overspray is a problem....) and or having 2 guys painting running down each side of the boat.

It could have helped to have someone watching every moment, if you have excellent lighting (mine sadly is good at best...and I have some very bright lighting.) and maybe they could catch every flaw as it happens in order to fix it.
Total job for the white part was 2 quarts. 3 coats. and about 6 2 inch roller covers and 3 of the 4 inch covers. I thinned the first 2 coats slightly to allow it to flow better. Didnt thin the last coat (maybe that was another issue..... who knows)

At any rate, the job looks well, and frankly is the best I could do. Here are a few parting pictures.

My inspector.

Good night everyone, lets hope tomorrow when it flows out it turns out nicely.  :)
Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Success!
Just completed the RUDDER FOIL PROJECT, and man does it look good!
Floated it in the bathtub and it has what looks to be proper balance from the looks of it.

I will post pictures later, in its unfinished state, as it will be primed and painted along with the bottom.
All edges sealed against the blade.
3 layers of glass.

Also I have most of the deck taped off for the non skid and gray sections.....
But first going to celebrate the rudder project with some friends! Then more work after dinner!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Mac:
   Thanks for the play-by-play coverage of the repainting of your boat. Er, yacht. Sorry. But I know you ain't gonna tease us about the rudder and not post a photo. That would be just plain mean, man.
   This thing is looking so good I may have to drive to CLR just to check it out!
Bob23

MacGyver

I dont tease, LOL, I just get caught up in doing something and sometimes dont meet the deadlines I set for myself! LOL

I uploaded them this morning finally as I wait to call and bother my paint rep.
The rudder needs a little fairing fill for a few spots, but after that fill and light sand it will be getting 2000 and paint like the bottom.
I will say this much, it is a larger profile than the NACA foil (Thanks for those again Bob23!) due to the build out of the glass and such, as the foam and wood is the actual size.
The trailing edge is sill the width of the plate roughly, which I am good with because normal rudders have some kind of dimension on the trailing edge due to strength.

The top edge is glassed against the plate, all the way around, to keep water out.
The bottom was glassed over 6 times in the nose (I did remove some nose to help facilitate this) to allow dragging without the need for fast repair to keep water from intruding.
All in all, I cant wait to try it out. and I hope its ability to float somewhat will help raise it up.

Here are a few pictures of the deck taped off, This morning it has one coat of paint on it, about to get another.

Mac

MODIFIED:
I am adding pics of todays work, after the second coat of nonskid and paint.

Up close of non skid modifier on the sliding hatch.

Just wait till I pull tape off......... tomorrow after work I will probably do that as I have one more coat of paint to apply over all this.
Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Harrier

Look at all that masking - I get tired just thinking about it ;D
Thanks for continuing to share.  Its an inspiration

Salty19

Hey Jason,

Looks great!  Together Time is really going to stand out in her new glowing makeover! 

Keep the footage coming!    ;D
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Thanks guys!

I just got done with the last coat of paint, (color only, no modifier) and I am hoping that tomorrow morning or after work, will tell me whether or not it needs another coat.

we have the storage seats from the cockpit done already so we have those to compare too. otherwise it will be Wednesday for tape removal....... I am hopeful tape will come off after work..... Those will be some nice pics to put up.......

That will give me a few days to repair hardware and get everything ready for sealing down to which my friend Brad has already got it in his schedule to be ready to help me. I almost think he is as excited as me to get this thing done!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Last coat was this morning! Right before I went to work!

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the deck, un-taped!

This upcoming Sunday will be install day for the hardware. I cant hardly contain myself. A couple neighbors came over knowing I was going to untape it and literally stood and watched as I did it. What a spectacle, Sometimes I wondered if they were happier than I as I threw tape on the ground.

:D :D
Lots of work ahead, but I am over the hurdle!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.