a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1993 23/3 Refit

Started by USMCR O-5, November 17, 2020, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

Well, we've gotten down to the nitty gritty of the refit on my 1993 23/3. Complete tear down. Hundreds of holes filled in. It will get a new interior with a few modifications. I've learned a lot about this boat by taking it apart. New Alexseal topside paint this winter; Flag Blue hull with white top.  It sat for years in the water behind the prior owner's home, filled with water and unloved.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

I have a bunch of photos to upload.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Photos of the boat under construction at Hutchins in late 1992.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

More photos.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Tim Gardner

Wow, did you see the brass shine on those ports? How cool to have the original construction photos.  You must have one of the first 23s to have the bow sprit.

Can't wait to see the re-finished product.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Hutch

Ahoy, Marine!

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures.  I have been involved with my own project, completely refitting an '87 CP-16.  It has been a fun project, and I removed all the original concrete ballast, like you have done.  I plan to replace with 450 lbs of lead ballast, ingots and shot, which I will encapsulate in epoxy resin.  I am waiting for my fast setting catalyst to arrive, and I should start setting the lead in the keel over the Thanksgiving week. 

Even though I still have a lot of work to do, I am already thinking about my next project.  I would love to have a CP-23!  I like the diesel installation someone else has posted on this forum as well. 

Please keep posting pictures, and check out my project when you get a chance. 

Thank you for your service!

Robert

USMCR O-5

Finally got the boat home from the storage facility that it's been in for over 9 years.  It helps that I live less than 1 hour from Hutchins, so I'll be over there a lot to buy new parts.  Time to really kick it into high gear!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Bob23

Ahoy!
  She's coming along nicely and you are certainly giving her a new lease on life! Myself, I own a 1985 mark 2 but I think the mark 3's are the best! I've had ideas about a structural C-shaped bulkhead that would allow full access along one side and still transfer the deck and mast loads down to the keel. Coming from a construction background, I know about point loads and such.
  Best to you!

Bob23

Mas

Quote from: Tim Gardner on November 18, 2020, 03:14:43 AM
Wow, did you see the brass shine on those ports? How cool to have the original construction photos.  You must have one of the first 23s to have the bow sprit.

Can't wait to see the re-finished product.

TG

Hey Tim, Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving! Just for the record the bowsprit was first added in 1984. I believe it was he Mk2 model while the oval ports along with a diesel option began with the Mk3 models around 1989ish. Currently they are in the Mk4 models. 'No Mas' had both the oval ports and diesel and was/is a 1990.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Tim Gardner

Hey Pal, you sold that vessel.  You haven't .... well you haven"t.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Mas

Quote from: Tim Gardner on December 10, 2020, 06:10:06 PM
Hey Pal, you sold that vessel.  You haven't .... well you haven"t.

Long gone to New England 4 years ago. Unless her name was changed, which the new owner was not inclined to do given her history and her time on the Great Lakes, then the West Coast down to Baja, then the Gulf, next here on the Chesapeake and lastly to New England, she 'is' still Nlo Mas, thus why i still refer to her in the present!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

USMCR O-5

Today, the inside got power washed.  It was pretty messy.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

The boat is almost completely deconstructed.  We are going with Alexseal fairing compound, primer and paint.  Hull, decks and cabin are sanded and fairing is done.  Snow White top and Flag Blue hull.  This is the first time I'm painting a boat of any kind... might as well go with the most difficult color to put on a hull! LOL  I wanted a light color but the boss (wife) wanted dark blue.  You can see how that worked out.  But, if I keep her happy and she thinks the boat is "pretty," I'll have the green light to do almost anything with it.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Fiberglass repairs, portholes and stuff taken off the boat.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Tim Gardner

Well Colonel, what a fine mess you have.
TG