a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1993 23/3 Refit

Started by USMCR O-5, November 17, 2020, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

Indeed Tim. A fine mess but the results will be worth it. I've never done anything like this before... learning as I go along.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Started with paint and primer.  Alexseal all around.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

New paint.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

First coat of three coats of paint total.  Second coat directly over the first coat within 12-24 hours.  Let cure.  Sand and apply third coat.  Color sand, buff and cut if necessary.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

My reflection on the second coat of paint.  Sand with 320 or 400 grit, then third and final coat.  Looks pretty good!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Bob23

Lookin' real good! And we all appreciate your offer to paint all of the administrator boats, of course when you're is done. Thank you- what a guy! My 23 should be arriving just after the final coat on your boat dries. High gloss black, please!
Bob23

USMCR O-5

I have to say that the Florida sales rep for Alexseal, Miguel, has been terrific with any questions I've had. Great company with great products. I've never painted a boat before... but I watched a lot of Andy at Boatworks Today's YouTube videos. For any of you contemplating something like this, you should check him out. Bob, you may want to hold off... I could still screw this paint job up! LOL
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Photos after first full coat of paint.  2 more to go... at least!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

One more!  Another coat tomorrow and I'll let it cure a week.  Then sand with 400 grit and at least one more coat over that.  When fully cured, I'll cut with 2000 grit, compound and polish.  Should look good.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

brackish

Really looks good.  Is the paint a single part or two part catalyzed polyurethane?  Did you spray it or roll and tip? I've done a couple of paint jobs on trucks and boats using Dupont Imron (now priced out of reach with clear coats required) and Interlux Perfection Plus, but I've always sprayed.

USMCR O-5

Two-part polyurethane paint by Alexseal.  I used their primer, topside paint and their new rolling additive. No need to tip. Just roll on. Two coats one on top of the other within 24 hours. Let cure then sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Then roll on the third and final coat. Stand back and smile.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

brackish

Very nice, I may try that when the need arises.  My spray jobs have all come out beautiful, and spraying is a lot quicker except for the prep and overspray protection, but there is a much greater chance of a mid job crisis if you carry over some water or you get a momentary CFM drop.  I think a lot less worry with a roll product.  Special roller covers?

Bob23

What color will you paint the cabinside and decks? Is there a non skid product you'll use? The factory Compac non skid works great and on my 1985 23/2, it's still  holding up well and hasn't lost it's non skid properties.
She's gonna be a real head turner when she's done! Great job!
Bob23

USMCR O-5

I'm using Red Tree 4 inch mohair rollers. The decks, cockpit and cabin will be "Snow White."  She will have red antifouling paint down below. White boot stripe.  The non skid will be light blue Kiwi Grip.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Bob23

Very nice colors!! While it's a shame to cover the factory Compac non skid, Kiwi Grip is an amazing product. A friend has had it on his Morgan 30 for 5 or 6 years now and it hasn't worn down a bit. Very grippy!!
Bob23