a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1993 23/3 Refit

Started by USMCR O-5, November 17, 2020, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

More sanding then we rolled the third coat of "Flag Blue" paint.  Tomorrow, I'll roll the fourth and final coat.  It's really starting to look pretty good.  It'll get red bottom paint and "Snow White" up top and on the decks.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Alexseal two-part polyurethane paint dries beautifully.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Another shot showing the nice reflections on the paint as it flows out.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Bob23

Hi Pat.
  She's looking grand! So after the deck and cabin are painted, you'll be reseating the stanchions, bow and stern rails as well as all of the teak. May I suggest using white butyl tape? It seals perfectly and if anything needs to be removed in the future, it won't cause you grief like caulks will. Just my 2 cents from someone who's been there.
Bob23

Bristol14

Beautiful job, very impressed! 

I?m a butyl tape convert, it works!
Paul

USMCR O-5

Thanks for the suggestions on butyl tape. From what I've seen, it's the only way to go. When I took the front hatch off, it had obviously been bedded with 5200 because it didn't come off easily and when it did, it took some fiberglass with it!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

slode

Yes, Butyl tape is definitely the way to go.  Make sure the screw holes in the fiberglass are chamfered a bit on the outside to allow some room for the butyl to compress into to form a good seal that will remain flexible.  This also prevents cracking around the fasteners.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Cpy23ecl

USMCR O-5

Since EVERYTHING has been stripped off the boat, I'll have a chance to re-bed using butyl as we reassemble. Thanks for the advice.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Well, we've rolled Alexseal primer and "Snow White" topside paint.  I'm very pleased with the result.  I plan to color-sand and buff the whole boat when it all cures.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Cabin top where mast sits was repaired with 4 layers of cloth and epoxy.  With the fairing compound, primer and paint, it looks pretty good.  We also damaged the fiberglass removing the front hatch (damn 5200!), so I repaired that as well.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

I had a little oops...  When backing the boat on the trailer into my driveway, I miss-judged the distance and caused myself an extra fiberglass repair...$@*&^!!!  Hit the garage.  This will be covered by the new rub rail.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Renae

Quote from: USMCR O-5 on April 14, 2021, 06:00:18 PM
Well, we've rolled Alexseal primer and "Snow White" topside paint.  I'm very please with the result.  I plan to color-sand and buff the whole boat when it all cures.

Beautiful work, although technically "topsides" does not equal the deck.  The topsides are those areas of the side of the hull above the waterline.

USMCR O-5

Ranae, the company that makes it, Alexseal, calls it topside paint. I used that word in conjunction with primer just to show that I used both.  I will be moving on to red bottom paint as soon as I color-sand, cut and buff the Flag Blue hull and add a white boot stripe.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

I'm going with the suggestions above on butyl tape. I've ordered white butyl tape that should arrive on Sunday. It's time to start putting this back together and at least make it weather tight. Interior after that.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...