Started by USMCR O-5, November 17, 2020, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Boat now has boot stripe and name done. Work starts on the interior.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

brackish

Looks great, can't wait to see it finished.  Are you going with the design bulkhead, mast support between the cabins or something custom?

USMCR O-5

Still trying to figure out what I want to do inside. Structurally, I need to get these glassed in place and take it from there.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Tim Gardner

IMHO, at this point you might want to consider turning her into a 23-PH

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

USMCR O-5

I briefly entertained the idea of turning her into a trawler, but decided against it. I'm going to keep it as original as possible, but improve on the interior a bit. I also plan to power her with an electric inboard in the not too distant future, but that will have to wait. You learn a lot about a boat when you take them apart. When done, my hands will have touched every part of the boat.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

More work on buffing the paint, putting things back on the boat, and servicing the winches.  She goes back together!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

kickingbug1

man and i thought restoring a 52 ford truck was tough. what great work you have done. wonderful boat
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: USMCR O-5 on January 23, 2022, 07:12:24 PM
Now on to the trailer!  33-year-old Magic Tilt that I got with no brakes.  Completely original with springs that broke as I took them out.  One axle, all four springs, all four hubs and bearing sets, brakes, brake lines and a new surge coupler at the front.  Now I'm road legal and wouldn't hesitate to take this on a very long trip... several are anticipated.

Great choice on using disc brakes.  I paid extra to add disc brakes on my Eclipse trailer when I bought it and also converted my travel trailer to electric over hydraulic disc brakes.  There's a night and day difference from the drum brakes and I will NEVER again own a trailer with drum brakes.

Fred

USMCR O-5

Hardware going back on to include stern rail, cleats, winches and chainplates.  We also started to apply Kiwi Grip, starting on the cabin roof.  In order to put the rest of the hardware on the roof, the Kiwi Grip needed to go on first.  VERY easy to use and hides "a multitude of sins" underneath!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

More photos.  Every part on the boat will be replaced or refurbished.  I'm re-using everything I can from when the boat was built over 30 years ago.  Some thing were too far gone.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Bowsprit with about 5 coats of varnish on it.  And the companionway hatch with new paint and Kiwi Grip non-skid.  Coming along!
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

Wood going back on.  Teak and mahogany.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

The main and genoa for my 1993 Compac 23/3 sat in my attic for over 10 years and were pretty tired. I sent them to Sailcare and they came back in about 4 weeks. The process was good and they communicated well. I feel like I got back brand new sails! A new reef point was added to the main, various rips were repaired, re-stitching done on both sails, all mainsail slugs were replaced and the sunstripe on the jib was replaced with Navy Blue to go better with my Flag Blue hull. All this for $649.97 USD.
https://sailcare.com/
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

USMCR O-5

A few more photos.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...