Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CBMSG 2.0

Started by Mas, March 22, 2017, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

Quote from: HeaveToo on April 15, 2017, 05:44:22 AM
The problem with the Orion is that they are SLOW.  SLOW SLOW SLOW.  I had one at my dock and the owner just sold it.  The Island Packet is a bit faster and it is still a good classic style with a robust build.  They are also more reasonably priced. 

The 31 is definitely a pretty boat and it has a good layout.  My friend's 37 Crealock is a yawl and it is a neat set-up for his boat.  That is a SERIOUS cruiser and it is set up to the max.  It is very impressive.

Well i wouldn't say slow, slow, slow, slow, maybe just slow slow! Agreed, but they do just about sail themselves! Your Catalina 30, though built for a different design purpose than PSC is a sweet sailing boat, got tons of space and with so many out there an active owners association and support. The fellow i got our CP16 from got a Catalina 30, tall rig, wing keel. If you make it to CBMSG i am sure you will have a chance to meet him. We like IP's and there beamy approach to design means much usable space below decks, it also has resulted in their nickname Island Piglets! They do have good build quality, a traditional look and we have 3 or 4 at our marina. It is also interesting that the PSC34 we looked at in Annapolis, that was sitting next to Interlude, is now at our marina as well. We had been the only PSC there and still are the only Compac!

Is your friend based out of Solomons Md.? Know of a fellow with a 37 yawl home ported there, i think his nickname was Broke Sailor. There weren't many set up as yawls. There is a reason the PSC 37 was inducted into the Sailboat Hall of fame, and her offspring, the 34 and then the 31 share the same sea keeping characteristics.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

the Crealock 37's owner is Jorge and the boat is Scallywag.  I have rafted with him about three or four times and he is a great guy (met him through a mutual friend that passed).  He is quite a sailor and has some serious off-shore time under his belt.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Quote from: HeaveToo on April 15, 2017, 09:59:32 AM
the Crealock 37's owner is Jorge and the boat is Scallywag.  I have rafted with him about three or four times and he is a great guy (met him through a mutual friend that passed).  He is quite a sailor and has some serious off-shore time under his belt.

Yup he is the one we have sent messages back and forth with. We overnighted in his marina on our way down from Annapolis but missed him by a couple days as he was heading up bay at the same time. Nice marina there and great restaurant. They even gave us a welcome sign! (Had radioed ahead)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

So what is the date for this shindig?
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Bob23

I have August 5th in the year of our Lord two thousand and seventeen AD marked on my calendar. Is this correct Rick?

HeaveToo

August 5 I will be in the OBX with my family.  Oh well, maybe I will make the mid-winter gathering someday.

I would still like to have a raft-up one year, maybe early June when the weather is still nice.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Sunapee Sailing

Ehemm, newbie here needs a translation...CBMSG?
Dreaming of a SunCat
A Horizon Cat would be great too.

Mas

Ok first things first:

Chesapeake Bay Mid Summer Gathering  - hope that helps with the funky letters!

Date: Bob you are correct in the penciled in date of August 5, which is the date of the marina Cheeseburger in Paradise party that we coordinated with last year and both you and Pedro liked the idea of a re-do on that prospect. (Also working a possible visit to the gathering of a certain Flicka!)

Heave, as mentioned this is a tentative date as that having the most folks be able to come is more important than having it be on the date of the marina party, though it is a good time and understand if ya can't make it to that! Regardless you and Jackie gotta come down to visit sometime and we'll get her on boats! Keep me posted about a possible raft up event as well. Now you know there is another 23 up near you, and I found out just as we were selling No Mas there is a 23d just up the same creek as our marina. Go figure!

Kevin, clearly we are not 100% on this date but are open to suggestions, though the party last year was much fun. BBB is the week before, the weekend of 7/14-16 we are playing at a festival thus moving more into August may be a better alternative if not the 5th. The plan would be similar to last year's with a trip planned out to our little islands followed by either a cookout or out to eat. (So Lesa this time you will be driving 5 and 1/2 hours for dinner!)

I guess it is a good time to get everyone to weigh in on dates that work starting with the 5th and lets see if we can accommodate the most fun and folks! Ok Pedro, Tim, Dave, TMW, Wayne, new suspects in fun? Have includes a couple shots of Parrot island which we hope to get to for the gathering if weather cooperates this year. Merrior now has brand new floating docks so easier to arrive by boat if that becomes an option. Attached a photo of the pavilions for a cookout and also the distant few of Parrot from Merrior.

Meanwhile i thinking about getting some shiny spray paint for my not so shiny anchor so I don't feel left out at the Tice's Shoal raft up! This looking to be a "pretty epic" block of time! Heading down in a few for the annual Blessing of the Fleet. (Cheap excuse to drink Mimosas and Bloody Mary's over brunch and talk boats!) So weigh in all on the CBMSG 2.0

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

peterg

August 5th works for me. Please keep in mind that Parrot Island is privately owned by local folks, who have it posted and do not want people traipsing around on it. Kayaking or sailing around it is fine. The Canada geese and osprey are merrily nesting on the island now, and give me rousing razzberries as I paddle by. If I attend the Barnegat Bay Bash with Sister Ship, I think that I can make it back at six knots for the CBSMG.........but there are a lot of creeks and rivers to explore along the way! The floating docks at Manure's look great- we checked them out last week with the Tug to make sure we can get in and out easily. The fleet of Typhoons across the Rivah at RRYC will be happy with the new docks when they do one of their Typhoon invasions of Manure's. The new docks are floaters, whereas the old docks were pretty crusty and involved a bit of a climb up the bulkhead. Took the '51 skiff there a couple years ago and almost needed a ladder to get to land!  Had to chuckle at previous references to PSC Orions being slow. Tell that to GreenInBetween as we reached into Worton Creek with double reefed main and a 125 at 7.1K on the GPS, or jogging along in 35 knots of wind with double reef and staysail with wind howling in rigging and boat very calmly doing 5K + hard to weather. Or smoking the accompanying Island Packet 27 offshore to New England in normal wind- Ed radioed me and asked if we could slow down a little. Lighter boats might accelerate faster in light winds, but an Orion will carry speed further in the lulls.....anyway, light air is what spinnakers are for. Did I mention surfing down huge offshore waves in a 40K noreaster at double digits on GPS, with single reef and 125, all on autopilot for most of a day....wind off aft port quarter and never pooped. In ten knots of wind, we always came in after the Catalina 30s, Bristol 31.1s, etc, but for overall speed and comfort in all conditions, build quality, and being the best looking boat in the harbor,  the Orion, IMHO, is difficult to  top in the price range. In addition to the fact that I sailed the boat extensively for ten years and sold it for twenty grand more than I paid for her....really good boats are also good investments.[img]

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Mas

Don't need to convince me that Orion's are great boats and agree probably one of the best at their price point! IMHO still one of prettiest boats ever made and far more boat than the Dana for less. Do like the below deck arrangement of the Dana however. We came close as you know getting an Orion, but then there was Interlude. :)

So it's Manure now not Merrior eh! Anyway it is the low island just up river from Parrot that i am referring to. Am mindful of the posted signs on the main island. Geese will be long gone by then! Plus am thinking of kayaks, dinghies and the like, (Mas clearly can be brought up to beach) but anything with draft will be unable to. The pics are of that island not the main island.

Heck there is no sense taking the tug home after BBB, might just as well take her to the transient slips as you did last year for CBMSG!

We are coming down this weekend. Maybe can hook up. Gotta get my sails back now that they are done. Probably won't bring Mas down till they are done with all of the musical chairs boat moves there, thinking inna couple weeks.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

I'm gonna pencil August 5th. As mentioned, the previous weekend is the 11th annual epic Barnegat Bay Bash!! The only other date I am committed to (or should be committed) is July 22nd, the Blackburn Challenge.
Bob23

Mas

Weil July is looking to be a full month for all and I know it is difficult to plan when a date is not set in stone but truly wish to have the most folks able to come. The 8/5 date is proposed as it was the marina party that was/is convenient for the group to tie in with and meet some very not yachty sailors at our marina. Pedro and Bob can speak to the group/party there and Tim, Vicki, Kevin and Lesa have been to the marina and Merrior and know the lay of the land (or sea as it may be!) in case we wish to go there on another date later in August. Heave, Jackie, Wayne and Phylis have been to Merrior with us and good chance Wayne may be in a slip there at that time, so there goes the "we are the only Compac at Regent!". Merrior does have nice floating docks so small craft could tie up if we break out dinghies and kayaks to go by sea (100yds or so across our creek). Maybe we could buy Pedro dinner if he takes us all with his tug! We can also simply do our own cookout and party as there are good facilities for it if another date is desired. 

The goal is to continue the interesting bonds that arrived in the ownership of our craft and celebrate. Weigh in all. As it stands now we have 8/5 penciled in. It is the week after BBB, for which I am getting my anchor shined and ready one way or the other!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Susan:
  There are inexpensive hotels in the area. Mas or Pedro should be able to fill you in about the wheres and whats. Consider driving down. For me it's 6 hours and I'd do it if were twice that, which it may well be for you!

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on April 24, 2017, 08:32:44 PM
Susan:
  There are inexpensive hotels in the area. Mas or Pedro should be able to fill you in about the wheres and whats. Consider driving down. For me it's 6 hours and I'd do it if were twice that, which it may well be for you!

Ok Bob, you clearly are not talking about the Susan that is my better half, well i hope not anyway given the lodging suggestion! Hmmm...:)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Whoopsie! Bob23 inserts foot in mouth...again! Nope, the other Susan.