a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CBMSG 2.0

Started by Mas, March 22, 2017, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3v1n

Bob can't buy the Flicka, He's gonna buy my Cape Dory in a couple years so we can get that PSC! :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Bob23

Wait! Who is good looking with a great personality?? Oh, yes, my 23! Gotcha...got a bit distracted there for a moment!

Yes, true Kev, and thanks for the reminder. Years before he and Lesa even put their Cape Dory 26 up for sale, I'm in line to buy her. Maybe it's the Tequila that we consumed aboard her that Saturday morning of the sock burning, but I could feel myself falling in love with a sailboat that one could actually stand in like a real 21st century homo sapien. but for now, I'm perfectly content with my 1985 23! This will be a fun season of sailing as I've pried my wallet open for new custom made interior cushions which should make overnighting a bit more comfy. And all the exterior teak will look spiffy with fresh Cetol (teak flavor with gloss overcoat). And I had the rudder professionally glassed by a friend who builds surfboards. It looks shiny and sweet, better than I could have ever done. And the rudder hold down bracket has been reinforced so as not to bed when said rudder inevitably attempts to plow a furrow in the bottom of Barnegat Bay. The rudder modifications have almost eliminated the weather helm common in the 23's and resulted in a faster boat that points much higher than before.
  Geez!!! Look at me, stealing this thread! That's what happens when I start writing at 4am!!!
Bob23

Mas

Bob, you know by now that in my book its not thread stealing when friends are simply starting the conversations they are gunna have face to face over some cold ones in the culmination of such thread!

These CB gatherings may prove to be more expensive than just the drive, lodging, beer and food. It looks as though the die is cast and Kevin and Lesa are already planning their next boat! I did hear Kevin muttering under his breath in the awesome video he did for CBMWG while looking at a PSC 31 for sale there that "it's all Rick's fault." I am pleased to announce I am pleased! IMHO one of the most thoughtful designs in her size range ever conceived and built, though I may be just a wee prejudiced! It's ok guys we had wanted one for the entire time we were not sailing and now got a lot of catching up to do.

A news flash......because he had owned one, Jimmy Buffet has gotten wind of the fact that there may be a Flicka at this gathering and as part of his May or May not Attend Tour, with him may or may not attending BBB the week before, he may or may not attend CBMSG 2.0. It is a Cheeseburger in Paradise theme for crying out loud! Bam!!!! back on topic!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

Wow...talk about thread drift!!!!

There is no doubt that the Pacific Seacraft 31 is an amazing boat.  It would be a great couple's boat for extended cruising.  Give her some solar and a few other nice toys and she is ready to cross oceans.

I, on the other hand, doubt that I will ever be ready to cross oceans.  There are so many nice boats to oogle over that I can't choose a favorite these days, I love them all!  If I ever hit the lotto I think that I would have more boats than cars....Oh wait, I kind of do now!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Quote from: HeaveToo on April 29, 2017, 02:55:32 PM
Wow...talk about thread drift!!!!

There is no doubt that the Pacific Seacraft 31 is an amazing boat.  It would be a great couple's boat for extended cruising.  Give her some solar and a few other nice toys and she is ready to cross oceans.

I, on the other hand, doubt that I will ever be ready to cross oceans.  There are so many nice boats to oogle over that I can't choose a favorite these days, I love them all!  If I ever hit the lotto I think that I would have more boats than cars....Oh wait, I kind of do now!

We may never be ready to cross oceans either Heave, but ya never know........meanwhile....:)

Now regarding drift....ya just have to allow for it in your course plotting....we always seem to get there!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

According to Jimmy Buffett, Frank Bama once said "The best navigators are not quite sure where they're going until they get there...and then they're still not sure."

Another good quote from Jimmy Buffett is "Go fast enough to get there but slow enough to see, moderation seems to be the key."

That pretty much sums it up! 

Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Golly do i feel better now, thanx Heave. When we first started sailing, i more than once would sail off of the paper chart we had and Susan would ask if i knew where we going.....nope sure didn't....but knew how to get back (dead reckoning, it worked for the Phoenicians) !

I know racing really develops skills, which I could certainly use, but just could not wrap my head around making myself go a direction when the weather clearly said go somewhere else. We tried a couple times but remember the last time when we simply stopped racing and headed off on a different tack cuz the wind was good. A little disclaimer here: We were sailing a Compac 16 Mk1 at the time, not exactly a racer!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

I spent a lot of years racing.  I raced with an extremely competitive team and that suited me well in my late teens into early 20s.  I had a few small dinghies that I raced as well; sunfish, Force 5, O'Day 17, etc.  I learned how to tweak sails, get the boat up to maximum speed, and all of the crew work from being a grinder to being foredeck.  The crew work comes in handy these days because, after being a bowman on a crazy skipper's boat, I cling to stuff like a spider monkey.  It is probably why I launch, retrieve, and fly a spinnaker single handed.  I don't remember half of the stuff I use to know about tweaking sails.  I don't really care about adjusting the outhaul, downhaul, halyard tension, and other controls.  I set the sails and if they look good to me I leave them alone.  I then steer to the telltales sometimes, other times I steer a course and don't really bother trimming my sails that often unless there is a massive wind direction shift.

I agree...Go with the wind.  "Gentlemen sail with the wind, and so does Bob!"  LOL
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Im sure you could sail circles around me...heck i sail in circles some!!!  Who you calling a gentleman?
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

hoddinr

So it's on the Chesapeake Bay somewhere.

Big place.

Where does one find out about this event?

thanks

Ron

Bob23

Hi Ron, do some scrolling up and you'll find out more than you ever thought you needed to know!

hoddinr

Well, after scrolling through 5 pages of comments I found out that it's at a specific Marina and on August 5th.

I'm just wondering if someone could put it all together on ONE page, with specifics.  Maybe start a Facebook Group for your gathering, or put up a web page?

It feels like a private conversation to those who haven't participated.  Are all ComPac users invited?

Ron

K3v1n

Yeah we have a big problem with topic drift, it's like the party has already started. :)
It's open to all Com-Pac sailors as well as non-com-pac sailors or post com-pac sailors.

PS. Location as of now is regent point marina.
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Mas

It has already started! So jump in and not feel it is private! Clearly out there for all to see! Here is the post from last year with all the particulars updated or the same. Links below that.

"Ok all, the time for the CBMSG is soon arriving! Weigh in on your arriving. The gathering, cookout, small craft flotilla, and party is set for August 5th. The cocktail hour is 4ish with music, hotdogs, burgers, cold drinks, beer and wine to follow . A $5 buck contribution is asked from all to the small sailing club having their/our gathering there at the same time for all the food, and drinks. They have encouraged me to have us Compacteers join them, well we are part of that group too! It was also asked that we kinda split up bringing a side or condiments for the burgers and dogs etc. to go with the same and other sides being brought by others in the club. Be glad to help coordinate that for us.

"The pavilions are shaded and covered with, ice, cool clean bathhouses, and the usual amenities available. Very parklike there. We don't have to wait until 4. Check the thread for the some local motels for simple lodging, and Willaby's Restaurant in case the weather doesn't cooperate. We are planning to get the antique dinghy wet. Bring some small craft easy to transport, there are also a few kayaks and canoes that are on site. Nice islands close by. The previous posts have links to everything but check out  http://www.regentpointmarina.com  for location, directions, and general lay of the land. Do try to come for more than just a day, as there is much to do and some good places to visit very close by.

Good food 100 yds away by water or 5 minutes by road where we have eaten before just to provide additional venues in case:  https://www.rroysters.com/restaurants/merroir

It's good to be part of something, please don't hesitate to jump in. The other Susan (Sunapee Sailing can help with that!)

The big thing is to just do it!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

hoddinr

That's more like it.  Thanks. 

I will be getting ready for a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland on those dates, but at least I can see what's available for members of the ComPac Forum.

Thanks!

Ron