a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CBMSG 2.0

Started by Mas, March 22, 2017, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

Well it's spring! summer is next, the middle of it means CBMSG 2.0. We want to be mindful of on going events and look at dates to allow timing for all to attend all of the events for this summer. The gathering last year took place concurrently with a party at our marina which this year is scheduled for 8/5/17 which is different with what i had earlier posted. We do not have to be tied to this event but thought it would be wise to put it out there.

Stay tuned for more but don't hesitate to weigh in with this scenario and date. I know Pedro has some ideas for this.  On the water, good beverage, and food are important! Let's hope that this year the heat is not turned on and trips to our local islands are in order as well. Maybe even "My friend Flicka" can be there. (Jus saying Bob!)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

FYI, i  amended the incorrect marina party date posted in an earlier reference on another topic, so 8/5/17 is the date of the marina party if we wish to tie in with that again. Regardless all the summer activities are much fun!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Hmm. Sounds interesting. Since we're aways off, lets see what Pedro the brave has to say. Having been a participant at the CBMSG 1.0, I can attest that it was fun being involved with the party. I'll pencil in that date and we'll see how this develops.
Bob23

Mas

Well whatever the final plan looks like you can be sure that boats, beer, food and friends will be the general plan! The summer version of the winter meeting was conceived for similar reasons in our neck of the world, they happen when sailing is in a lull and we all need good excuses to "be simply messing about on boats". Would hope to get that small craft trip out to our local islands in if the wether cooperates, but we can safely say that it will be summer and good times will be had!

Last year's event was a "Cheese Burger in Paradise" theme if we coordinate with the other "boat people" as Susan refers to them. Our marina is sailboat only, well the occasional tug, and the folks are decidedly not "yachties"! Bob, Kevin and Lesa, Tim and Vicki have been there so they know the lay of the land. Pedro and Becky as well, but hey they have already started thinking sheets are just things you put on your bed!

Meanwhile gotta fetch some good boat wax so can tackle the hull on Interlude before she splashes. It's officially the beginning of sailing season, it's spring, summer is next and then the middle.............
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

So Pedro is voting for the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" party to tie in with again. I am hearing Bob is inclined to do that again as well. Always fun to meet new"boat people"! It is but a week from BBB and yet Pedro mentioned bringing up the tug, will need to hang two lanterns for his trip to BBB then heading back in time for CBMSG 2.0! This couple weeks is looking to be epic!

Stay tuned....meanwhile my anchor is beyond polishing. Hope we will be able to hang with all the glitter at Tice's!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

Keep me posted.  This may be a crazy summer and I may have a lot going on because of the recent events going on in my family.  I know that I will be down in Colonial Beach more to check on my Mom since my Dad just passed.

August 4 to 11 I will be in the OBX so that may not work for me.  Other than that, I am not sure what else this summer will bring!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Hey Heave, so sorry for the passing of your father. We do know.

As far as dates, there is a ton of flexibility and the date tenured so far is a date that the marina party is happening. If most folks wish a different date then we will be working to accommodate that. The party is great fun but the main purpose is to get all of us CPYOA folks together and in trouble! The party just helps with that!

Say hey to Jackie for us. We still remember what she said at CBMWG  :)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

It's officially sailing season, Interlude floats! Mas gets hauled down next but still remembers her last sail. Now let's see.....time to get an anchor polished for BBB and get the Cheeseburgers moved to Paradise for CBMSG 2.0. I agree with Bob, so many opportunities, may have to give up work to do them all.....uh forgot.....gave up work!

Hope this picture thing works, first time trying it. If it does first pic is Interlude now in her slip next one is Mas, one of her last days on water in fall. Susan is the person in the cockpit threatening to weigh anchor and leave me stranded on the island we hope to get to for CBMSG 2.0

If they don't work, just imagine!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

She is looking good!!!!!

I still have to get my bottom paint on and I plan to launch for May 1
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Quote from: HeaveToo on April 13, 2017, 10:41:58 AM
She is looking good!!!!!

I still have to get my bottom paint on and I plan to launch for May 1

Thanx Heave! Will pass the compliment on to Susan......uh did you mean the boats?

Interlude may be in the water now but still need to get back down there to wash and wax topsides, then fetch her newly cleaned sails and put the bimini and dodger back on their frames. She aint ready to sail quite yet!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

I really love the lines of that Pacific Seacraft.  That is a great couple's layout too.  I bet that she sails like a dream too.  What an awesome design!

Traditional lines sure are appealing and stand the test of time. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Quote from: HeaveToo on April 13, 2017, 12:35:47 PM
I really love the lines of that Pacific Seacraft.  That is a great couple's layout too.  I bet that she sails like a dream too.  What an awesome design!

Traditional lines sure are appealing and stand the test of time.

Thanks so much Heave for the kind words about our girl. The 31, Crealock's latest design, had just come out a couple years before we gave up sailing and we had seen one at an Alexandria boat show and were hooked. We figured we could never afford one but it was fun to dream. That was 1989, Interlude is an 89. We asked the previous owner of her since she was new what made him pick one out of all the boats that were being made back then. He asked in return "have you ever seen a beautiful woman and just can't get her off of your mind?!" Exactly.  A boat should make you turn around to look at her as you leave her, if not, she won't last long before you have an affair with another. She also needs a good personality under sail to go with her good looks. Looks and personality! He only sold her because he had become unsteady on his feet (he is much older than us). He still misses her, gave her the name Interlude, as it was his step into a retirement lifestyle from the work world. It fit, so we kept it.

I agree with the lines of traditional craft standing the test of time. It is also what makes your CP23, our CP16, and many of the Compac boats head turners, and good sailers as well. Hope we can hook up some during your spring cruise and certainly find an excuse to get Jackie back down around boats. Would be glad to meet you guys at Merrior some time as well. Will keep ya in the loop for CBMSG 2.0!

OBTW, I am clearly on a mission to help get Bob into a Flicka (which he has figured out by now!)....it's what friends are for! Trying to have one at CBMSG......bru ha ha ha :>)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

Well, I guess with PBR tastes you would settle for a Flika.  I would suggest a Dana 24!  Just a little bigger but much more room.  I have been aboard a few and they are nice.  Then again, I would love to get my hands on an Island Packet 27 too!

I have a friend with a Crealock 37.  That boat is awesome.  It doesn't have that much volume in it though and it definitely has more of a sea-going layout.  Poor Soul has a 6' draft and he has dregged a few places on the bay, from the stories he has told me!

I hope to see you guys out there.  I have no idea where I am going, East, North, or South once I hit the bay.  I will just watch the weather and go!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Mas

Jimmy Buffet sailed a Flicka and though smaller than a Dana, are wonderful little boats and a better price point. Danas are expensive for what they are. Nice boats but pricey, not that all of the PSC boats aren't a little pricey. Agreed, a great layout however. I sure wouldn't have turned one down!

Cant say what the below decks on a 37 look like other than pictures, but can say we actually looked at a 34 that was next to Interlude and Interlude had more space and a better layout, roomier cockpit, broader of beam and longer at waterline proportionally than with the 34 (or 37). The 31 was a latter design so possibly a bit evolved? Regardless it was the boat for us. All of the Pacific Seacraft are designed to be seaworthy first and are not "Floataminiums!" We sure could have had many other boats for less money that had more room, it just was not the priority for us.

The IP 27's are great boats but our eyes still give the PSC Orion 27 the nod in that range. IMHO they are some of the prettiest boats ever made. Pedro had one and absolutely loved her. They are so well balanced underway, though all of the PSC are. This is one of the best examples of a 27, Mk2, cruising layout think was the A layout, I've seen, though also the priciest. Most are in the 40's. We looked at three Orions as well but Susan had eyes for Interlude, as did I.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1984-pacific-seacraft-orion-27-102869702

I hear ya on the direction of your cruise, so nice to let the weather decide and not fight a schedule or pre planned agenda. It is how we approach almost all of our trips, either by land or by sea! Let's do get together. OBTW, ya forgot West as an option! You've done it before....."that bridge took forever to get past"  :)   Oh, almost forgot....CBMSG 2.0....stay tuned.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

HeaveToo

The problem with the Orion is that they are SLOW.  SLOW SLOW SLOW.  I had one at my dock and the owner just sold it.  The Island Packet is a bit faster and it is still a good classic style with a robust build.  They are also more reasonably priced. 

The 31 is definitely a pretty boat and it has a good layout.  My friend's 37 Crealock is a yawl and it is a neat set-up for his boat.  That is a SERIOUS cruiser and it is set up to the max.  It is very impressive.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt