News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The adventures of Adagio - A tempo having slow movement; restful at ease.

Started by jthatcher, May 09, 2011, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthatcher

Day 2..  the quest for  Cape May..   it is a quest because..  there is a real possibility that I won't make it..  but time will tell..    so now, for the rest of the story.. 

Today was  a wonderful day for gaining experience..  and for  facing humility right in the eyes..   Being among friends, it is perfectly ok to  share the truth and the whole truth..   no need for any fiction!    ( i already spilled the beans about  the diesel) 

so, i am heading out of  Beach Haven..  skies looking a bit gloomy, but   I am prepared for rain anyhow, so who cares.    made my tea and  my sandwich before shoving off..    I am beginning to be able to pick out the  markers a little quicker..  that is reassuring..  in fact,   I was  beginning to feel  pretty accomplished..  and proud of myself..  cruising along at  5 knots..    thinking i was a real sailor..     

time for a small break..    on the ICW,  the plan is to keep the red triangles. to starboard and the green  squares to port when headed south..   somewhere I read that  an easy way to remember that is to keep the mountain ( triangle) between you and that mainland..   i love it..  makes so much sense..   I adopted that as my  guide..  and it has worked wonderfully..   keep the mountains where they belong.. toward the land..    but what if the channel makes and S turn..   hmm,  which it does from time to time..    well, i am reminded of a saying that was one of my dad's favorites..   " he who hesitates is lost "     and guess what,   i hesitated..    the wind was blowing   at least 20..   the channel was very narrow..   and i ended up on the wrong side of red..   aground..     it happens to me all of the time..  just when i begin to feel slightly cocky..  life slaps me down..  :) 

i was motoring.. so i quickly raised the engine..  the plastic  bolt on the  rudder snapped.. no problem  . plenty of spares..     I am not sure if I said a bad word or not..  i might have  :(    and then i  tried to figure my way out ..  thinking first of all.  i really should have renewed my boat us  which ran out on the  30th of june..  i let it go  when i decided against the maine trip.  and bought insurance elsewhere..   ok..  first dumb move.. 

I set the jib.. thinking the boat my heel enough  to get me off.   that did not work..      there were some fishermen about 100 yrds away..  really intent on fishing and totally oblivious to my predicament..  perhaps..   at any rate.. i sounded the horn 3 times..  twice.. before they looked my way..   the came over but said that it was too shallow for them to do anything and offered to radio  the tow boat..  i thanked them and told them that i would place the call..   

i sat on the bow,, thinking..  when a nice couple on a C dory happened by and offered a tow..   the gentleman hooked up a swell looking tow rope with floats on it.. the intention what that the rope would float my way..   it did not work..  got caught in their prop.. and he had to lift the engine to untangle..    the next time i just jumped in the water to snag the line..   and i did.. but it got caught again and separated..   this time he had to drop his anchor to  keep in the channel while he untangled it..   while he was doing that..  i started to push the boat..  and it move, little by little.  by the time he got back to me, the boat was nearly off..   he said that he did not want to try again.. and who could blame him!   but.  many thanks the the c dory folks  ( i think that the name was  C Pod)       a little more pushing and the boat was off..  i had to scramble aboard,   and got the motor started..  only to have the prop hit the  foil rudder..   oh no!!!   i stopped the engine..  and by the time i was ready to go again.. i was aground again!  on the other side of the channel...    back in the water again..   and push.. this time.. not quite as difficult..   but getting back into the boat  is rather difficult without a ladder..   second dumb move..  passing on buying a boarding ladder..

so now.   i am  ready to get out of there..  and i really am at a loss to explain this, but i ended up exactly in the first  spot that  i was aground..   i think this time i got a bit annoyed..   but i knew that i could handle it..  back in the water..   out of the corner of my eye, i see a cruiser coming up and stopping..    i tried to wave it on.. did not want anyone else to have a problem..  but he stayed put..     a bit later , after some pushing,  i see a tow boat coming from the other direction..  hmmm,   do i bite the bullet?   he stops and says..  "you have one option "   i think that he meant for me to hire him..   i told him thanks, but that i wold work on it a while..     he then said.. no problem,  he would see if he could help the cruiser..  ahhh,   that was why the cruiser had stopped and was so successful at maintaining position in this wind!!    I kept tabs on them as i pushed and pulled..   the towboat really had to work to pull that cruiser off.   by the time he did.. i was nearly off. and  continued to work..  the tow boat  kept an eye on me for a bit..  but i got Adagio floated..  and climbed aboard again..  lucky  the water was relatively shallow..  it would have been really challenging if I had not  been standing waist deep when i pushed off..     

i was spooked for a bit...  forget the  mountain thing.. just keep the red triangles on the starboard side when headed south!     To add insult to injury, i was  approaching  atlantic city..   and just as i was getting close..  i was ambushed by  green head flies..   hundreds of them..     by the time i got through that area, the  cockpit deck was littered with the dead bodies of  umpteen  flies..    hmm  i need to take a break here to take some  advil  :)

so..  Atlantic City , loaded with Temples to the Financial Gods..   no interest in stopping there..   but..   5 bridges to negotiate..   ok, so i have to say that  I did go under the  Seaside Heights bridge last summer for practice..  called the bridge tender and the whole nine yards..  but  it was a bit nerve wracking to do it.     and i found it just a bit so the first time today.  by the fifth bridge..  not such a big deal..     but it was getting late..  i lost at least two hours with the  grounding fiasco, and   i was bucking both wind and tide for a good part of the trip..  so my actual speed much of the day was in the 3-4 knot range..    looking at the chart.. it seems like Margate might be a good prospect.     it was after 5 when i got there..  stopped at a fuel dock that had all kinds of signs saying open for business..  but they weren't   i tied up anyway and went ashore ,  asked a kid at the hot dog stand associated with the docks of i could stay there..   he called the manager.. the manager said no..   dejected,  tired,  and just a bit achy, i returned to the boat.. and headed out..  as i made my way down the docks..   i  spotted a sign that advertised  transient docks  :)   i  called and got a recording..  given another number.. called that number  and got  Luciano..   he would be happy to  give me a dock at 3 dollars a foot..   i needed a hot shower..  done deal..

so here i am..   i took care of the boat first..  washed it down..    took care of some maint  issues..    and then i headed to the shower..  spent quite a long time in there..  loved it..   then walked around town..    i think i liked beach haven more..  actually, i am sure that i did!  so , the big question.. will i make it to  cape may?   it is not looking all that great..   i think that it is 35 miles from here..  and i just don't see the need to push it..   much rather take my time going back and stopping by to visit bob!  so maybe i will make it to   ocean city..   take it easy..  get a slip early tomorrow and then head back north  on thursday..   

things i learned..    ( is anyone still reading this?  :)

1  red triangle to  starboard  when headed south.. keep it simple
  2  you can beat  the towboat from time to time, but if you sail in Barnegat Bay  and the ICW in Jersey,  he will very likely  win in the end!
3.   it really does not matter if it is raining when you are waist deep in water, trying to push your boat off of a bar!
4.   gotta line up a transient dock before  5 pm..  after that, everyone is home eating dinner and  not the least bit interested in the  $60  you are willing to fork over for a slip and a hot shower..
5  think long and hard before putting a good samaritan in  a predicament that is just as bad , if not worse than your own!

probably lots more learned.. but i am too sleepy to think about it.. so i will sign off for now   jt

Shawn

Sounds like you had a busy day, nice work sticking at it and getting yourself free!

Did you try kedging off when you ran aground? If you can throw an anchor off your stern far enough (or dinghy it out) you can use that to try and pull you free. Use a winch to give you more power if needed. Nice thing about kedging is if you free yourself you are also anchored to hopefully give you time to prevent regrounding.

Good luck tomorrow!

Shawn

jthatcher

thanks for the support,  Shawn.    the thought of kedging crossed my mind,  but   the c dory folks showed up. and then i was in the water pushing  and it  quickly faded..  we will save that for next time  :)    hopefully not this week!    I am thinking that i will just  get into ocean city tomorrow.. not a long trip at all..  find a  nice marina..   and spend  a relaxing afternoon.  then head back north  on thursday..     if i stay in beach haven again,   it will be a very manageable trip to see bob on the way home..  and then another easy leg to get home on saturday..    no sense in  pushing too hard!      i am thinking that the trip back north will be a bit faster if this wind pattern holds..   we will see about that.. 

something else that i learned..    chart kits..  great at home around the table..  probably great on a boat with an enclosed cabin and a chart table that is easily accessible to the helm station..   not so great on a compac 23  going to windward..   mine got drenched..   but i was reluctant to  put it in the cabin.. especially after the grounding..    i wanted to know where i was!    any ideas?   i kept it on the seat across from me  under some plastic, but the wind and the spray beat it up pretty bad..    me too :)     jt

Bob23

JT:
    Your accounts of your adventures are great! Sure, reality isn't quite matching up with your float plan but you are learning lots. I raise my glass of Newfy's Screetch to ya! Ayuh.
    Last night, I was looking at the charts where you were talking about and I wasn't envying you...but it sure is turning about to be a learning session. Oh, forgot to mention the greenheads. Very nasty little things. If we could train 'em, we wouldn't need a paid human military! True story: I've actually had them stay on my back biting me underwater while out surfing the south end of LBI.
    Looks like on Thursday you'll have SW winds so that'll mean a nice run North. Call me when your'e leaving BH or whenever you want. I'm sailing (or motoring) Koinonia down to Surf City tomorrow morning. Again, at ICW marker 62, hang a sharp right into the local channel and you'll be in "Koinonia" country.
Fair winds! and no greenheads.
Bob23

DougN

Being of the Great Lakes persuasion,I gotta ask.What's a greenhead?

jthatcher

i believe that it is the common horsefly, or a close cousin..   sure feels the same when they bite!    after negotiating  some pretty tight channels..  it is tempting to look for some  big open water.. maybe the great lakes would suit just fine!  :)

Tim Gardner

A nasty nasty biting fly that inhabits the east cost barrier islands from SC to NJ.

Hate-em!  Slather on the DEET and they just lick their chops with the under tones of "OH BOY! Dressing!"

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

jthatcher

that was a wonderfully descriptive  explanation of  greenheads, Tim. . nice job!

And now for day 3....

Perhaps one of the most remarkable things that comes to mind is that  last night I had the best night's sleep  ever  onboard..    I wonder if that had anything to do with the exertion  needed to push the boat off of the sand three times!     As i reflect on yesterday's   experiences.  the sand was really not that bad.. more on that later..

so i got off to a very slow start..    when i did awake, i could hear dripping on the top of the cabin..  there was a very heave  dew..   the boat was wet  everywhere.. even under the  bimini..    and the fog was  somewhat thick..    no early start today!    so i headed into town.. stopped at a breakfast place that  i had checked out last night..  ended up sitting next to a fellow who used to live in Margate, but who know lives in Canada..   we struck up  a  nice conversation and covered a full list of topics..  I was in no rush because the fog seemed to be going nowhere..   and he was not in a big rush to get back to the kids!!   

by the time it seemed to be safe to navigate,  i made the decision to forgo  Ocean City and to turn back instead..  and now I am  typing this from Beach Haven where I am  safely tied up  in the same slip that i had two nights ago..   and that it about it..  well, maybe not quite :)

got off to a good start  and happened to time the bridges of Atlantic City  pretty well..   about a 12 min wait at the first one and then smooth sailing through the rest of them as I got to them..      as i was going through the first bridge,   i thought. .what would happen if i lost power right now..   of course, that did not happen..   but it did   60 seconds later..  no fooling..    i had filled up the gas can  and did not  squeeze the bulb..   i keep calling these experiences, but some of them are just  total goof ups!

after that, life was good..  picked up the tide this time.. wind behind me..  dry ride..   and then i got to the danger zone..   the first sign was the return of the greenheads!!   the second was a barge that was  laying pipe right next to the  ICW,  in fact,  in the ICW..   i was already nervous about making past the point of yesterday's groundings..    and here i had this  nuance to contend with..  and i did not do such a great job..   they had put temporary markers in    the channel,  and i saw them coming down.. but i missed them heading north..  and wouldn't you know it..  thump thump thump.    gets me right in the stomach were I tend to process many of my emotions!     so..  a single curse..  and then no hesitation..   " over the side mate, " i said.. but of course, i was the only one aboard.. so that meant me!   anticipating the soft feel of a sandy bottom, i was temporary, queazy about  landing in mud..  up to my knees..  yuch..   no time to think what might be lurking down there..   time to push..   now, i don't want to get cocky or anything, but i am getting pretty good at pushing boats off bars!    in no time, the boat was afloat.    and i hopped aboard..  and started the engine..  and rat tat tat tat..  oops.  knew that sound..  the prop was hitting the floating rudder again!     pushed the rudder aside and steered back into the channel..    replaced the plastic bolt..  and off we go towards the  real menace..  marker 128A.. the one that is not on my chart, which  gave me time to pause yesterday..  on that leg of the trip   i was on a beam reach  , under power, but the wind was pushing me to the side a fair amount..   i had a couple of scares as i watched the depth sounder  report depths of  4.1   4     4    etc..    but i made it through unscathed..   

when i came around the bend  at  Beach Haven inlet, i could look directly out to see..  seems like a pretty friendly inlet compared to some of the others that i have seen..   but  I had not the time nor the inclination to  stick my nose out into the real ocean..   i was once more looking forward to a hot shower..   and i thought that the marina was  just around the corner..   just that fast, the fog rolled in, and it was all i could do to pick out the next mark..   and then the next..   and then steer in the general direction of where i think the next mark is  and look for it...  got lucky  ..   and made it back to the marina in time to secure my slip...   

the plan for the rest of the week..   take a short  leg tomorrow and then a short leg on friday and meet up with bob.  maybe anchor in his cover over night..  and then head towards  toms river  and shore point marina..    it will be nice to get home  :)  not that i am looking forward to the trip ending..  there may not be another quite like this one..  can't afford it!   so, i am enjoying while i can..

things i learned..      JT  4      Tow boat   0      the odds are   becoming increasingly in favor of the tow boat!

I am a captain..  really,,  all you need to do to become a captain is buy a boat and take it through a draw bridge..  all of the bridge attendees called me captain  :)

if i were to seriously consider  traveling down the  ICW,   it would be in a power boat..     I friend of mine sailed to the islands from   NH  a number of years ago..  i asked how much actual sailing he did on the  8 month trip , and he told me he sailed 5% of the time..   i was dismayed to hear that..   but  I have a much better understanding..   yesterday and today were all about staying in the channel..  that imaginary road across the water, marked by posts planted  along the way..    not only would i have a power boat,  it would be one that  drew less than two feet..      Ideally, the ICW  is  safe at low tide  to a depth of 6 feet..  but  i am afraid that just is not so..   maybe Sandy had a lot to do with it..   not sure, but  there is a lot of discussion about the depth and  the changes from last year..    how can all of that possible be managed?   

the other option would be to have a sailboat large enough to sail outside... but that just is not going to happen  :)

I have a huge amount of respect for solo sailors..   no one to bounce ideas off of.. no one to  handle the bow line..   no one to take over while you went below to use the  head..     no one to make a fresh cup of tea  to enjoy along the way..    this has been great, but  i am not sure that I am cut out to be a long term solo sailor..  no around the world trips for me!   

When i first learned to drive..   it was somewhat nerve wracking..  perhaps more so for my folks.. but  I got a handle on things. and  now there is very little thought to hopping in the car and taking off..   but i can't imagine that I will ever feel quite as  easy going about heading out in the boat  ( and probably with good reason)   the fact is,  once you untie the lines.. there are so many variables that one has to continually process..   wind, tide, current,    and things can happen quickly, even at 6 miles per hour!   when the  rudder starts thumping along the bottom, there is very little time to plan a course of action..   

i need to rig an anchor so that it is ready to go at a moments notice..   my anchors are safely stored below .. because i rarely use them and do not have the bowsprint with and anchor roller..   gotta change that next year..      if i were to lose power  i need to  be able to drop an anchor very quickly to  keep from drifting into danger..   

i guess that is about it for now..  just about time to head into town for dinner...   thanks for reading!   jt

Bob23

JT:
   Thank you so much for posting in such great detail. You  have no idea how much I am enjoying your account. Let me know about what time you'll be up in Surf City on Friday. Depending on when, maybe we can get breakfast or pizza. I'll try to get my road bike over there for you to use. I dug up an old Dahon folding bike at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago...that's my ride! You'll like my old Bridgestone RB-2.
   Beach Haven inlet, while looking calm, usually has standing breakers just a bit outside. While it is marked, I'm sure that Sandy did a bit of rearranging. Just in the last few years there have been some quite large and expensive sailboats end thier days on the shoals or on the beach.
   Again, really enjoying this adventure. Maybe partly because you are near my home waters.
Bob23

jthatcher

hi bob..  just looked at the chart.. i am actually pretty close  to your mooring..  maybe a bit more than 5 miles?    i will give you a call tomorrow to let you know what i am up to.   glad you are enjoying the  tale...  warts and all!    i took a walk into Beach Haven this evening..  got a nice glass of unsweetened iced tea..  and a crumb cake from the bakery   i saw a sign for concert on the green on wed nights..  asked a bunch of folks if they knew where the green was.. no one seemed to know!    took the tea out to  a deck on the beach and enjoyed looking at the ocean...  then headed south in the direction that the sign pointed..  found a grocery store   -- bought some bananas and some  macaroni salad.   and a hot cup of tea..  and then happened to see another sign indicating a left turn to get to the green..  so i  found it..   typical americana   ..  folks riding their bikes to the park with their lawn chairs..    i am impressed with how many people ride bikes here..  in fact,  i kind of like the town..  if i were not an ocean grove devotee.. i might try to get back here with the family..

and now back to the marina..   getting pretty sleepy.  no big rush to head out tomorrow.. we will see what the day holds!   jt

Billy

JT,
great story. You are gaining more experience than you know. And as the saying goes....Red Right Return. And when in the ICW, you return to Brownsville, TX. Which would be south in your case (unless you are in a "S" bend) and North in mine (west coast of FL).

What type of anchor do you have?
The reason I ask is I too do not have the bow sprit. So I mount my danforth on my bow rail with this.....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&productId=38751&langId=-1#.UdTVCqN5mSM

A whole lot cheaper than the bow sprit.
Looks like this..

Recognize the stations?

The anchor should be easily deployable should you have a engine failure at a critical time. Never understood why the USCG doesn't require you to have an anchor on board.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

JT:
   Beach Haven has made an incredible comeback after Sandy. If you were ar Murphey's Market, they had between 3 and 4 feet of water inside.
   I like the dedicated bike lane in Beach Haven, at least on the ocean roads. Actually, the bike lanes are overrun with runners, skaters, walkers and bikers. All seem to coexist pretty peacefully. I guess maybe travelling at slower speeds has an inherent safety factor built in. The boulevard can be deadly in the summer on a bike.
   I'm not sure what time I'll depart Waretown but if we don't connect up in Surf City, we will defintely pass each other on the ICW today. I'll be mostly motoring south, just as you did 4 days ago and you'll be sailing north. Up in the northern part of the bay down to marker #47 there is plenty of water...our 23's are free to roam. Between #47 and #49, things tend to narrow up a bit. I'll have my radio on (I try not to use the cell on the water) so maybe we can stay in touch.
Bob23

jthatcher

hi billy,
   thanks for the anchoring tip..    and the stanchions!  the replacement is working out fine.  and i have three left in reserve!    i slept pretty well again... it is amazing how quickly I drift off  now..   i have both a danforth and a plow..   it seems that the danforth is the anchor of choice in this area,  but up north, folks tend to use a plow type anchor more..   there  is no doubt that this trip has resulted in a wealth of experience.. just wish i had this kind of opportunity when i was a kid...    I read a book a few years back about a father and son traveling from cape cod to florida on a 24 foot sailboat with  a small tender  back at the turn of the last century.   they did not have marinas at which to tie up.. with bathrooms and showers..   probably had nothing more than a cedar bucket..   i really enjoyed reading the book, but it seems so much more real now!    time to have a cup of tea and make a plan for the day..   off to visit with bob!  jt

jthatcher

Day 4
  no rush to get started today..    the plan is to meet Bob at his mooring in Surf City which is maybe 8-10 miles..     I visited  The  Chicken or the Egg for breakfast - ordered a short stack of  pancakes.    could have done with   an extra short stack!   While I was at the restaurant, I  read an interested article that a woman wrote about her family home  on 2nd ave in Beach Haven.   The  house went back  3 generations  ,  and the  story was so well written..   The sad part about the whole thing is that Sandy  moved the house  on its foundation,  and the author was told that they would need to jack the house 10 feet in order to rebuild.    the house is for sale..    When i left the restaurant, I realized that I was on the corner of  2nd ave, so i  searched for the house..    It really did not look like it was in dire shape, but looks can be deceiving, and I did not get to glimpse inside..   It made me ponder about  every house  and the stories that that they all have to share..

ok..  back to the nautical part of the story..  Bob gave me good direction to his mooring area,  and he happened to be bringing his boat from the marina to the mooring field , so the timing was great.    I found the channel into Surf City  and tried to raise him on the radio..  he was not close enough yet, so I just puttered around for a bit and then figured that I might as well set the anchor..    I had rigged the anchor before leaving in the morning  - thought that i was ready to go..  but maybe not quite ready enough..     i nosed Adagio into the mooring field and watched as the depth quickly dropped from   15 to  6 to 4 to..    hmm  found a nice soft spot in the mud to sit and wait for bob  :)   Felt pretty relaxed..   watched another sailboat come in and touch bottom..   but he had a centerboard, and after he had prepared everything,  he just raised the board and continued in to his spot.. 

Bob arrived a bit later..   i volunteered to go in and retrieve his dingy because i was going to get wet anyhow..    turned out to be mucky..  with  lots of sharp , uncharted, objects   SUO's..    i  found a couple.. but it was only when i got back to Bob's boat that he pointed out the blood in the bilge of the dingy!  no wonder that foot was hurting!    it was a pretty good sized gash..    when i got back to Adagio  for the  salvage operation..   I put on my  sandals.   wonder why i did not think of that sooner!    I figured that this was all meant to be..  an opportunity to try kedging..   i rowed the anchor out  and dropped it in the bay..  took up tension on the  line, using the winch.    and made very little progress..  but..  this was a good idea because the tide was on its way in, and  the wind would have kept blowing the boat ashore..  so the anchor held it from  getting in a worse predicament.    i jumped off the boat and  tried pushing on the bow..  it was pretty stuck.. more so than the precious times..   i pushed on the stern..  very littel success.     

Bob came up the the bright idea of  using the main halyard to  tip the boat over..  we tied a few extra lines to it.  walked away from the boat ( Bob was wet too at this point..   and heeled the boat over..   as Bob held it there, i went back to the boat and began  pushing..   there were little successes.. but it was going to be a challenge..  until,   a volunteer detachment of the  young beach guys,  led by  a kind hearted soul who marshelled them together  came to our rescue.    in short time, the boat was free, the anchor was already set..  and life was good again.. 

Sea Tow   0   Adagio  and crew   5     as our friend in Florida says..   "small boats rock"  :)

Bob and I went ashore with the  intention of getting a pizza, but his wife, Linda , was there waiting for him..   She had another idea for dinner...   in the end,  we ended up taking Linda's mother out for a 4th of July dinner,  at a nice place,  where Bob's daughter is currently working..  how nice was that?   I am getting to know the whole family,  and all because of the internet and the nice folks who set up this site and our common  interest in Compac Yachts..   

One  little detail remained unanswered.   would i find a marina close by, or would i moor right where  i was..    we stopped by a marina in Surf City .   i asked it they had a transient mooring..  the response was " for a boat?"    hmmmm..     with a hint of sarcasm, i said.. did you really ask that question?    but then they explained that the have boat slips as well as sport slips  and no , i was not allowed to stay overnight on my boat in Surf City..   what????  oh well.   i guess that I am a law breaker now..  stayed on my boat in Surf City overnight..  but only after a wonderful meal,  and  great company..  and a final chat with Bob in the cockpit..   he asked if i wanted to set a second anchor.. the wind was blowing pretty strong, and we agreed that it would  calm down ...   I told him that i thought i would be fine..  but he was not even on the beach before i started gathering the stuff I would need to set the second anchor..     that was for peace of mind..  :)    I was enjoying fireworks  from a number of different towns when it hit me that i was dead tired..   i crawled into my sleeping bag and slipped off to sleep before the fireworks were over..     

woke up at  1;15 am..   wind still howling..   went out on deck to check things.. all is secure so i tried to go back to sleep..  up again at  4 am and then again at  6:15.   the sun was shining  and the wind had died..   time to get moving..   last day of the trip.. 

Billy

JT, I am enjoying reading your post and hope you continue along safely.

Heard an interesting theory about using a second anchor while I was in the BVIs this past Spring.

If you are planning on staying on the boat overnight and the weather picks up and gets crazy in the middle of the night and you need to get out of there, and if both anchors start dragging and you are headed towards a lee shore then you now have to pull up two anchors not just one.

Now if you are leaving the boat unattended than maybe two anchors would be a good idea.

Of coarse there are always different situations that call for different solutions but I thought this particular advice from the captain was good.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-