News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The adventures of Adagio - A tempo having slow movement; restful at ease.

Started by jthatcher, May 09, 2011, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthatcher

even though I was disappointed to miss the opportunity to spend a night at anchor with a friendly crowd,  I totally agreed with Bob's call to scrub the plans for the bash this weekend..   

the weather in this part of the country has been a bit crazy the last week and a half..   thunderstorms almost every day,  and nasty ones at that!    we ended coming down on saturday , taking the scenic route through lower bucks county, stopping at new hope  for lunch and shopping,  and then stopping at the ocean county mall to get a jump on school shopping..   it was nearly dinner time by the time we  got to the boat!   we took the girls our for a mexican dinner  and then got back to the boat  just before the next storm hit..     i guess we need to have some discussions about being on the boat during an electrical storm..   my wife was a bit nervous..    the rain was very loud, and we found that we needed to dog the port holes very tightly in order to stop the drips..    but the girls settled down in the v berth, and eventually,  the rain passed over..    and, my neighbor ( the guy who hit  Adagio last week when he was docking)  returned to the marina in the dark..  i got out and lent a hand docking  :)   

this morning we woke up to blue sky, but   as we were commenting how nice it was,  the dark clouds began to roll in from the west.    one of my neighbors  was heading out in his center console  to fish  - we talked last night, and he said that he was planning on going out a few miles beyond barnegat light...   10 minute later,  he was headed back in..    as he passed our dock i said " did you forget your bait?"  and he smiled..  that was exactly what had happened!     i spoke with him  about possible thunderstorms before  he ventured out a second time..   his plan was to get out to the head of the river and then make a decision..     i ran the engine for a couple of minutes and then buttoned up the boat..  we  headed to  Shut up and Eat for breakfast and then on to ocean grove where we spent a  wonderful afternoon..   including a trip to Day's..   only one small drip of choc.  ice cream on my shirt :)   jt

jthatcher

August was filled with way too many distractions, and then school began.  So it has been quite a while since I last visited Adagio, but this past weekend proved to be well worth the wait!   The weather was wonderful, the company was great,  we enjoyed some steady breezes..  what more could I ask for?    This was the weekend for the rescheduled  Barnegat Bay Bash  2012..   I headed out just as soon as I got home from school on Friday afternoon.  It was fun to run into a few folks at the marina whom I have not seen for a while.   The plan was to sleep on the boat at the marina friday evening and then to get up early on Saturday and clean the boat before Marty arrived..  but.. Marty is an early riser!   he was at the marina before i got out of the shower!  I think that he was excited for the weekend :)

we enjoyed a hearty breakfast at a local diner,  stopped by the grocery store on the way back to the marina, and then transferred Marty's gear from the car to the boat -  I think that Marty was prepared for a week long trip - but, of course, I have the luxury of stowing a bunch of gear for the whole season aboard Adagio..    We departed around 9 am - motored out just beyond the entrance to the marina and the hoisted the sails..      A text from our fearless leader, Bob, alerted us to the fact that the winds were steady at 20 , so, before we even left the dock, I put a reef in the main.     as Marty pointed out, we also practiced a MOB drill when my hat happened to fly off unexpectedly.  We were successful, thanks to his long arms! 

we were blessed with a wind heading which enabled us to trim the sails and to sail down the river on one tack..  after rounding the point, we headed down Barnegat Bay, I believe on the same tack the whole way...    it was great to have Marty at the helm -  i got to enjoy sailing, knowing that a competent hand was on the tiller..     we made good time, and we were able to pick out bob's boat with ease..  and why not?  it looks just like Adagio! -  a great looking boat, i might add :)

Bob was out rowing in his dinghy when we arrived, but he soon joined us on Adagio, and the fun began.    Just to bring everyone up to speed,   I am grateful to the creators of this board, for it is through this site that I met both Bob and Marty,  and one might think that after the conversation about boats was exhausted ( if that can actually happen)  we might be at a loss for words..  but I have a suspicion that Bob is never at a loss for words.  and Marty has lots of experience with life..  ( how nice was that)  so, there were plenty of stories and laughs to go around the entire weekend..   

we followed bob's lead and donned our swim trunks before embarking on his capable dinghy for an adventure on sure..   the beach at island beach state park is a treasure..  i was very disappointed at not being able to share it with my family.   I am convinced that  the water was warmer than the air temperature..  it was sooo warm!   we spent a fair amount of time waiting for the perfect waves for body surfing..  and felt like we had worked pretty hard by the time we exited the water. 

the trip back to Adagio was an adventure that only bob can relate.. but,  the image that comes to mind is the 3 stooges on a boat..   :)
Bob dropped us off - kind of -  and then headed over to his boat to find some fixings for dinner and then returned to Adagio..  we spent the rest of the evening chatting and watching the day trippers head back to land as the sun slowly dropped to the horizon..  a warm cup of tea capped off the night and then bob headed back to Koinonia..   we snuggled into our sleeping bags for the night..  but, i forgot to tie the halyards..  so i had to get up and and go on deck to tie them off ..   at 2 am, i awoke and thought that i heard a boat bumping up against Adagio..  but it was just the rudder, bumping.. i raised the rudder and took care of that problem..    down below, things sound so much louder!   

we awoke pretty early..  in time to enjoy the sunrise..

again with a cup of hot tea..   bob saw that we were up ( also an early riser)  and came over to join us for breakfast, bringing a pot of strong coffee for Marty to enjoy.     The conversation picked up right where we left off the night before..    soon it was time to pull the anchor and head back to the marina.   There were folks from school waiting to go sailing later in the day.. 

we started out with the sails up, but we were making very little progress, so  i started the engine, and we lowered the sails..  lamenting the fact that my friends were not going to experience much sailing! ..  the trip home was filled with more conversation, and the time passed quickly.   in 2 or so hours, we were at the dock..   We were greeted by Konstantin and his wife Alison, and they helped us unload Marty's gear..   a quick stop in the head, and we were ready to take the boat back out..    we motored down river, but as we turned the point..  the wind picked up, and we were able to spend about 2 hours under sail..  a fairly steady breeze , although not quite as strong as the day before.   It was probably just right to give my guests a good sense of the enjoyment of sailing without any nail - biting moments..    But, the wind died again so we had to motor back at the end of the day. 

The sad part of the weekend is that this was the last sail of the season.   Before leaving I took down the main and the bimini and made arrangements to haul the boat..    we will make one more trip down to cover the boat after she is safely ashore.    but the adventure will continue!    the new and improved plan for next year is to take the boat to lake Champlain..  so, we will have plenty of time over the winter to plan and to prepare for that trip.   Hopefully, that will help the time to pass quickly!   I am sure that i will have more to add to the log as our preparations take place.   

As sad is it is to watch the season close,  i really could not have asked for a more enjoyable experience the last time out.. thanks to bob and Marty for being great companions..  and especially to bob for making it all happen..    i hope that more folks will be able to make next year's gathering!   jt 

jthatcher

just got off the phone - talking with the previous owner who visited the marina today.   he reported that Adagio, along with a considerable number of boats, was floated off of her stands  and eventually settled near or on a trailer which, unfortunately had a rod sticking up.  he said that there was a baseball bat sized hole punched in her hull.. bummer..  but to be honest,  after hearing earlier that there was 5 feet of water in the marina office,  I was wondering if we would even find the boat!  so..  holes can be patched.. that is the wonderful thing about fiberglass!   and, hopefully, that is the extent of it.    i will make a trip down on saturday to see what i can do.. if anything,  and to pick up all of the stuff from the interior.     i already contacted the insurance company and initiated a claim..   we should be in good shape  when all is said and done...   jt

Tim Gardner

JT,

Sorry to hear of Adagio's impalement.  Better that than crushed by several larger boats though.  Good luck on getting her repaired.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

jthatcher

thanks tim.  i agree, with the amount of water  and wind involved,  it could easily have been a total loss..   jt

jthatcher

well..  i finally downloaded photos from my camera.. first time in a few months!    I have a few left over from the Barnegat Bay Bash..  better quality than the ones from my phone.   like sunset at Tice's shoals  :)

our fearless leader,   broken foot Bob..   and his beautiful compac 23 , complete with a very seaworthy dinghy.. perhaps now that he is laid up, we will see the video of the famous capsize.

These photos are, of course, from a relaxed, calm new jersey evening.  i wonder if we will even be able to go ashore here next year.. at this point in time, no one is aloud to go out on the island which is devastated from Sandy..

And now for the current pics..   I took a trip down to the marina yesterday.  I imagined that lots of folks would be there to check up on their boats, but there were surprisingly few people there.    Many of the boats were already back on stands, but  it looks like there are going to be a lot of bent rudders and prop shafts..  these power boats were not designed to be sitting on the ground! 

here is Adagio , back on stands with a few battle scars..   a hole above the water line,  a broken stanchion..  and some gouges..   the engine was safely stored in the shed which ended up with 5 feet of seawater in it!   i am not too sure how reliable it will be - if it starts at all..    guess it is time to order a new tohatsu sail pro! 

is it time to replace the pulpits and stanchions with stainless steel?

ouch!   i guess i need to get some advice from macgyver about fiberglass repair!

i had a chance to chat with the previous owner.   he kept his bristol 32 in the water, and was very fortunate.   i think that he had 14 lines on the boat, and it stayed right in place.. no damage at all.     but i did learn a few things about preparing one's boat for a hurricane..  like maybe it is a good idea to take the canvas off before the storm hits..

and maybe it is a good idea to put a tracking device on your boat.. never know where it might end up!

things could have been so much worse.   I understand that a marina up in brick nj,  just a few miles up the bay, was totally decimated..  like all of the boats are gone!   people in the neighborhood  had the same 5 feet of water  that flooded the marina in their homes..  i put duct tape over the hole in the hull,  threw  everything from inside the boat into my truck and drove home to my warm house..    these folks are going to be dealing with the after effects for months and maybe for years..    and these are not secondary homes like so many out on the island..  it is such a shame..   

I hope that the guys at the marina recover.  I am sure that they are facing considerable unanticipated expenses from this, and insurance will only go so far.   

on a positive note..  i think that the repairs to Adagio will be relatively simple..  i may end up with a new engine..   I am going to try to get some details from Brenda about the cushions that she made for their new boat.. and maybe i will even tackle that project this winter...   i feel even more committed to Adagio than before, and I am looking forward to sailing off to enjoy many more sunsets on her...  :)   jt

skip1930

I'll bet one can pick up some Sandy damaged boats cheap for parts or to repair and keep. Should be a lot of trailers around with no boat to put on them.

skip.

Bob23

JT:
  Thanks for sharing. You are the new Photo Posting King! And, yes, now that I'm hobbling around and can't even drive to my worksites, I do have extra time so I will give an update on the renamed Barnegat Bay Splash! (You had to be there to understand).
  All in all, you  made out pretty good. When I was working on my friends radio tower in West Creek, we saw boats on the salt marsh half a mile inland. Very intact but a very costly retrieve!
That doesn't look like too hard a fiberglass repair if you can do it better than me. I'm sure Mac will give you step by step instructions and she'll be better again.
  Maybe it is time to change the bow and stern rails to stainless. I bet they're stronger and easier to keep clean especially in our salt water environment. I wonder if you can find 'em used somewhere? Either way, it would make a nice upgrade...a very nice thank you gift for Adagio for making it through the storm with minimal damage.
   If your motor sat long enough in salt water, it might be toast. When I capsized my old Sea Pearl in the bay many moons ago, the then brand new Tohatsu 3.5 was totally under. As soon as I got back, I submerged the motor in a barrel of fresh water, dropped it off at my friends shop (he owned a small marina) and after they worked on it, she ran perfect. I guess you'll have to give it a try.
   I heard about that Brick marina...every boat was moved, damaged or lost. But the worst stories are about the homes lost. Little by little, I'm learning about the people who are returning to a home not there or one that's unrepairable. This storm is going to change some of our lives forever.
bob23

Billy

JT,
I replaced the stantions and pulpits on my boat last year. It was expensive! The stern bent, then broke so I replaced everything with stainless. I didn't really want missmatched railings.

However, I still have the bow pulpit and all the stations, which are the same on the 19 as the 23. And they are in fairly good shape for being almost 30 years old. You could use them and won't need to replace everything. I bet they would match.
You want 'em? You got 'em. Just pay for the shipping.

Let me know.

And, do to some top secret research, Hutchins has several old bow pull pits in their loft. They have not oxidized or weathered and they look like stainless. But I don't know if they have stantions though.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jthatcher

wow,  what a thoughtful offer.     i agree that the cost to replace everything with stainless is kind of steep.    As much as I would like to dress Adagio up , i also need to stick to a budget, and that means setting some priorities...  the fact is that a boarding ladder is probably the most important improvement that i need to make, particularly since i sail alone a fair amount.      I have been entertaining the idea of taking the stanchions off  completely and running a jack line which i could clip onto when going forward.     i have been doing some research which suggests that life lines on smaller boats such as ours  - particularly ones that are below 2 feet high - tend to be a tripping hazard more often  than an actual life line..      but,  if i do keep them on, it would be very nice to take advantage of your offer.. i will be in touch!     jt   

Bob23

Hmmm...I'd have to say that when I go forward I also rarely, if ever, use the lifelines. I'll grab a shroud first or a grab rail. I guess the 23 would look nice with one less line but where would I tie my fenders?
Best to you, JT in the reparing and improving of Adagio!
bob23

Billy

No way guys. The life lines are what make the Com-Pac Yacht a "Yacht". I love the look. And I figure, the more lines the better. As long as they are not all tangled in a rats nest.

But you are right, I very seldom grab them as well. however, I often have kids and dogs on my boat and they are very useful. And when I had my 16, going forward was very scary in rough water. But I will admit that may be a sense of false security.

Now the pulpit is  a different story.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jthatcher

just got a call from the insurance adjuster.. i did not tell him that i was considering taking off the stanchions  :)    maybe this will be the beginning of a serious discussion on the site  :)      bob.. already thought about the fender question.  i would prefer a cleat amidships so that  i could tie a spring line to the boat  when at the dock.. and hang a fender off when one is needed..       i am trying to remember  what publication i saw this in.. probably wooden boat..  a photo shoot of a new sailboat ..  with no life lines, although the disclaimer did say that the fittings for stanchions and life lines were on the boat..  but also pointed out how clean the boat looked with out them..   i too rely much more on the shrouds for balance instead of the life lines..    of course, i have never been out on the deck in a blow..   i am envisioning being in that situation and saying to myself  " who's bright idea was it to remove the lifelines"!!  :)   

well...  that is a decision for the future.. for now.. i am still totally excited about belonging to a site where folks like billy would offer the old stanchions from his boat and jason ( aka mcgyver)  who would take the time to submit  a plan for the fiberglass repair..   and of course, bob.. and all of the others who take the time to organize gatherings..   and marty who was a great shipmate for the barnegat bay bash...   I am kind of thinking that i need to figure out a way to retire early and just hang around boatyards and make new friends! 

jthatcher

by the way..   billy and jason should get karma points for  being so nice!   jt

Tim Gardner

So award those Karma points, JT.  Just click on em.  If you make a mistake, PM me & Ill correct the error.

TG  ;D
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.