News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The adventures of Adagio - A tempo having slow movement; restful at ease.

Started by jthatcher, May 09, 2011, 09:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Billy:
   You are right...they do add a salty look and if they were not there, I'd miss 'em. I also like the look of double lifelines and when you have dogs or small kids, netting is a must.  A lack of lifelines sorta defines the boat as a picnic boat and, while I love picnics, I enjoy telling folks that I don't own a sailboat- I own a sailing yacht!
JT:
   btw...how is your motor? Any word if she'll run again?
bob23

jthatcher

i have not heard about the motor.. i am suspecting that it is not worth putting too much time or effort into it..  it is a 98, and probably not worth a great deal.   i am inclined to think about a new engine in the spring..  the tohatsu sail pro  6  hp.   there was quite a bit of discussion about it a number of months ago..  it seems like a good option.   i would kind of like the 4 stroke and  the more environmentally friendly nature of the engine is a positive aspect to consider..  and, i might add that the dependability of a new engine over an older one that has been dunked in salt water for who knows how many  hours is a consideration as well.   we will see how much is left  in the wallet after Christmas  :)

i was just looking at a website touting the book  "honey let's buy a boat"  about a couple who bought a boat and took a year off to cruise the great loop..    a new engine might be the first step in following in their footsteps  :)    but don't tell my wife that i said that!   jt

Billy

JT,
I got a Sail Pro......but you can't have that! ;)

However, while I REALLY like its performance, I do have a few complaints.
I used to have a Yamaha 2.5 hp and it pushed my boat just fine (mind you I have a 19) . Even in some pretty strong currents. However, I traded up b/c it was a short shaft and would come out of the water when I went forward or in a rough chop (good thing I got those life lines!). And the jets on the carb were WAY too small. W/ the ethanol nowadays, if I did not use a stabilizer, every time the gas would sit for more than a few days it would gum up the carb and I would have to rebuild it. And often it would die on me when coming into the dock, just when I needed it most. It also had an internal gas tank.

But it started very easily, was very quite, and ran & shifted very smoothly.

The 6hp Sailpro is MORE than enough for my 19. I never turn it more than 1/2 throttle, all that does is make more noise and vibrations and use more fuel. It is VERY heavy compared to the old Yamaha. But w/ the extra long shaft (25") I don't ever need to use the adjustable motor mount. I just leave it in the up position and just tilt the motor. the prop clears the water easily.

(Notice the old aluminum  rail?)

It also has an external gas tank and after a day on the water, I just pour the gas into my truck.

But
The sail pro does not start OR run as smoothly as the Yamaha. it will start on the 1st or 2nd pull, but it doesn't feel as smooth.  doesn't shift as smooth either, always w/ a big thud, and it is only two years old and I have had it serviced. Overall, it just doesn't "feel" like it is as good as a quality engine as a Yamaha or Honda. A little louder and a bit more vibrations. But like I said, the performance is great and it will push your boat just fine, you won't need a bigger engine.

and the new ones have the shifter on the front (not the side like mine) which is pretty cool. And a longer tiller too.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jthatcher

thanks for the feedback on the sailpro..   i used to have a  nissan 60  on a speed boat  , and it was dependable, but it also was not as smooth as some other engines that i have heard..    i will need to wait till spring before i make a decision..   and i should see just how my engine runs .. if it runs..   the concern is that it could start up now, but in the long term,  how dependable will it be..      are you in florida?     jt

Billy

Yea, I live in Palm Harbor, FL. It is about 15 minutes north of Clearwater on the west coast of Florida.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

jthatcher

the weather forecast for today looked like about as good as it is likely to get for the next 4 or 5 months, so it made sense to make the last trip of the year to the marina to put a tarp over Adagio for the winter.   It is about 3 and a quarter hours from home, so it is doable in a day, although i would certainly rather spend an overnight in jersey if possible.. this weekend.. not possible..  But, my wife joined me to keep me company and to lend a hand with the tarps.. so it was like an extended date!   the first thing that we did when we arrived in Tom's River was go to shut up and eat for lunch :)   for anyone who happens to have followed the thread on Adagio,  you would recognize this particular establishment  as one of our favorite discoveries in TR -  and, what a place to take a date :)

then we drove out to the marina and ran into the previous owner as we made out way to the restrooms..  we chatted with his girlfriend and him for a few moments, but by then we were already reminded that darkness at this time of year was not all that far away..  so we said our good-byes  and tackled the job of setting up tarps.  i thought that i would try two tarps this year.. with a significant overlap - time will tell if that was a good idea or not..  Adagio is tucked away in a nice spot.. hopefully a safe spot!   it looks like they have things in pretty good order at the marina..  i am looking forward to returning in the spring and tackling the fiberglass job which will address the hole that is now covered with duct tape..  a few other jobs and she will be ship shape. 

i brought all of the cushions home for storage..  the v berth cushions have some life left in them, but the settee cushions are history..  they have seen a lot of wear.   i am interested in tackling that job, and got some advice from Brenda who, has had significant success with producing new cushions for the Greene's new 23..  bought, i was dismayed at the cost of foam at Joanne's fabric when i checked it out this week.  if anyone has and advice on discount foam.. let me know! 

it looks like it could get warm mid-week. i would not be surprised to hear that Marty takes his boat out for a December sail this week..  looking forward to getting together with him and Bob  and anyone else who might be up for a mid winter dinner rendevous..    jt

brackish

JT we are a day late and a dollar short on the foam. :(  Foam has traditionally been nearly free for me.  One of the advantages of living the in northeast Mississippi, the capital of upholstered furnitured manufacturing.  Unfortunately my "supplier" the Human Resource Manager at Foamex, an industry supplier factory, was riffed a couple of years ago, a victim of the bad economy.  A close friend, he would get me usable rejected material in about any configuration I needed.

I'm out the door for a sail.  forecast calls for 75 degrees, mostly sunny and wind 10-12 out of the south. ;D 

MacGyver

JT,

I looked at Sailrite and thought it was reasonable.... but only because I thought it would last another 20 years like the originals have.....
I am on the fence about where to get foam from other than that, as you want good stuff, and not 6 inches thick so you still have foam under the bum upon sitting down....

Another place I have seen was CUSTOMFOAM.com

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

hockeyfool

Hey  Jthatcher - FYI , I bought a nice stainless boarding ladder on ebay , called on measurements and it'll fir even thought wider than factory one.
    Just under $100 too - check it out , you have time .

MKBLK

JT-

Wooda, Cuda, Shuda... but, alas, Pegasus has most all her shiny stuff removed for the Winter's nap. The weekend and beyond looks great. I could put it back together in a couple of hours, but the trailer needs work, the kitchen needs work, the yard needs work, ad infinitum... Besides, my November sail was enough trauma for the season. Although the air temp was about 70, the almost icy Delaware sucked the heat right out of the air. I could feel the cold through the hull. Of course dressing appropriately could make a difference. I did buy a nice orange winter jacket with cold weather sailing in mind, but I can't get over spending 5 minutes barefooted in the water (yeah, I know... waders). If I had a 23, in the water, I'd be off! With a real cabin one can get pretty comfortable. I do have a 12 volt heater, but it would probably suck the life out of the battery in 15 minutes! Hope to see you and Janet soon.

Re that ladder, pleeeze get one!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

jthatcher

time for a winter update...    i ordered new graphics for Adagio.. finally her name will appear  proudly as can be!   At the same time, i ordered new  tape to replace the boot stripe and the cove stripe..  that all showed up in the mail last week and is in a safe spot - i just hope that i can recall what that safe spot is  4 months from now!

on another note..  i have paid a number of visits to joanne's fabrics  over the past few weeks to pick up odds and ends for the house or for the holidays..  each time i go in, i pass by the dept. that has the foam..  hoping that it just might be on sale..  i was rewarded this morning - 50% off..  i could not pass that up!   so i now have two pieces of foam to replace the settee cushions..    one more thing to clutter up the basement at the moment, but  that is a project that i will enjoy   sometime in late winter..   now i just need to measure for the material and wait for that to go on sale  :)     I guess this counts as a christmas present to myself  :)    jt

Bob23

JT & J:
   Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer. Are you going up "The lake" early in the summer or are you waiting a bit...gotta start planning for BBB 2013 1.0!
   The cushions need to be done on mine but I have the morbid fear of sewing. Must be the needle...I hate needles!
   Why don't you tell us where you put the tape and graphics. Then, in 4 months when you start racking your brain trying to find 'em, you can just ask us! Of course we'll remember...what do we look like- old people? Oh...nothing against old people.
Best to you and Janet,
Bob23 and the elusive Admiral L

jthatcher

More snow forecast for early next week...  still to early to begin prepping the boat for the upcoming season, so i figured that it was time to load some videos from last season..     just got the files from my friends who joined me last September.    These videos were shot  the same weekend that we joined forces for the Barnegat Bay Bash  - it was a fun filled weekend!    this is my first attempt at uploading videos on  you tube..  i decided to upload the raw video.. it will be a while before i learn some of the editing techniques that would be helpful.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4yWOztFX3M&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR79nfWk518&feature=youtu.be

kind of gets you excited for spring!   jt

Tim Gardner

Cool, Jason,  The only thing missing is a Tilley hat & you're ready to remake the "Old Man and the Sea" ;D

I bought a Freestyle sport video camera for my business and am looking forward to shooting a few feet of video this year as well.  Pirate Day antics with the water balloon cannonade should be fun.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

jthatcher

wow, Tim.. do i look that old??   actually,  i bought  one of those hats  when we were down on the eastern shore of maryland  over thanksgiving last fall... not a bad idea for a guy like me with little hair on top of his head!   :)    i have a couple more clips, but i would like to play around with some editing before i upload them..