Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

went out today

Started by ssullivan, December 02, 2010, 06:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Steve:
   Keep sending those warm weather photos. It's nice to know that someone is warm.
Currently, here at 39.75 degrees N lattitude and 74.260 W longitude it's 21.8 F. And I work outside; no inside work in sight for this winter. Sometimes for therapy, I'll turn on the electric heater and just sit down below in my 23, dream and listen to the:

Bob23

ssullivan

im thinking ill have more this weekend,  the weather has been to chilly down here for fun sailin'.
hopefully they have better radio stations were your at than were im at, they got rid of 3 out of the 5 stations we had on BPK so we have country, or classic rock, but they dont play good songs :(   

Bob23

No, Steve, we don't have alot of great stations right around me. If one goes North eventully one will get in NY stations- great variety and probably the greatest radio in the country. To the west we have Philly- another good source of broadcast radio.
   We have the general offerings of country, classic rock, NPR comes in clear which carries one of my favorites- Car Talk! And we have a good classical station which is strong.
Bob23

ssullivan

my sister and the admiral love npr, ill listen to it, got a lot of info there, but im a classic rock kind of guy. 

Bob23

Yeah, me too. Back in the day before the term "classic rock" was coined, we had a great station from NY- WNEW. There was this late night DJ Allison Steele with the sexiest voice you ever heard. As a bunch of 18 year olds, she could have sold us a car without wheels with that voice. Back then, the Who, Cream, Moody Blues, Jimi, Mountain, etc, were the main plays on the radio. Now they are classic rock. I guess that term is good in that it distinguishes the real stuff from this c-rap stuff. Please, if anyones into rap, this is not a personal attack so don't go getting your Fruit of the Looms all up in a knot!
Bob23

ssullivan

rsahlender

I don't remember DJ Allison but do have fond memories of many days on the beaches of LBI listening to "Cousin Brucie" on 77 WABC...

Bob23

LBI! That's where I and "Koinonia" hang out! And, yes, I remember Cousin Brucie and 77 WABC. And WMCA. When on the beach with the wife, I'll stull tune the transistor radio to 77.  Or 1340am WMID oldies. Something about the sand, salt water and static of an AM station to transport one back to a simpler time.
Man, we are showing our age!
Bob23

rsahlender

Oh geez I forgot all about WMID! Yes we listened to both WMID and WABC back in the day. If something came on the one we were listening to that wasn't quite a favorite we would switch to the other and than back again. And I agree 1000% about the sound of AM radio especially the static as you moved around with the radio. Very nostalgic for me.

But of course I am also one that continues to use late 50's and early 60's vintage vacuum tube equipment for my stereo system that I have kept operational for many years playing vinyl LPs. There is a difference to my ear between the sound the old glow bugs produce compared to the solid state stuff and just like the static on the AM radio there are the pops a clicks on the vinyl that just seem to feel right... the only CDs I ever play on this system are the copies I make of the LPs so that they contain all the good "noises" not included by the original artists!

Bob23

I agree, Rich, although I've made the jump to transistors in my music listening. My son, however, still uses a tube amp for his 1970 Strat. Nothing sounds better. Nice and raw, the way rock and roll is supposed to be.
  And vinyl is the way to go. I still have a pretty good collection and you really can't beat the sound. Especially the minor scratches...talk about class!
Let's hear it for ampitude modulation!!
Bob23

rsahlender

Quote from: Bob23 on December 19, 2010, 12:32:47 PM
My son, however, still uses a tube amp for his 1970 Strat. Nothing sounds better. Nice and raw, the way rock and roll is supposed to be.

I will keep your son in mind then as I consider whether to sell my 1974 Fender Bassman 50 head to help fund some of the things I would like to do with my CP16 (there... now we are close to being on topic again?). I have only the head but restored it to near new condition and while I mostly used it with my big old floor speakers to mess (fumble?) around with an old Washburn Lyon bass I have occasionally loaned it to a buddy of mine that still plays his 197x Strat in a local band. The Strats sound great with the Bassman especially when cranked up to where there is just enough distortion...

Rich

Bob23

Actually, I was gonna ask if you were interested in the Strat. He and his girlfriend and soon wife just bought a house in nearby Tuckerton built in the 1700's with an already restored interior. Of course, it still needs some work. He might need to liquidate some guitars and surfboards to pump into the house.
   In an another return-to-the-thread attempt, he sails a 1977 Irwin FreeSpirit 21 which blows the doors off my 23. We also race his Sunfish against my Force 5. He beats me because he's using an aftermarket rudder and also because of his refuse-to-loose attitude. 
   Boy, we've covered some ground in this thread-drifting. From sailing to AM radio to guitars. CPYOA: The place to expand your mind!!!
Bob23

ssullivan

got out yesterday, started out with winds at 10-12kts out of the NW. we sailed out to the east side of NO Name Key on a broad reach and then ran down the east side of the island using a whisker pole (whisker poles are awesome!) when we were about 2 mi out from the inlet to get to my dock, a squall came up out of no where so i decided to go to the lee side of no name, well that didn't exactly work, because i guess the last hurricane moved a sand bar into the small channel that was there. so that was a no go, and the storm passed so it didnt matter, then i started to try to tack back home, the wind and tide were heading the same direction so when i was tacking i wasn't making much head way. so i motored about a half a mile up the island after we were far enough up the channel we were able to tack back around no name and head home, i never realized how much of a pain it is to sail up wind and current. it was a fun day, a little chilly but fun, and the total distance i traveled was about 25 miles give or take a few.     

Bob23

Sounds great, Steve. Keep those stories coming. I froze my butt off at work today. Working on a bay front building. It is nice to see the bay that I sail in completely void of boats. Beautiful day.
My brother mentioned that tomorrow morning at 0317 hrs is a lunal eclipse. I might get up.
Glad you'r still sailing!
Bob23

HideAway

got out yesterday, started out with winds at 10-12kts out of the NW. we sailed out to the east side of NO Name Key on a broad reach and then ran down the east side of the island using a whisker pole--- SSullivan---

What's your home port? - anywhere near Tampa?  Thinking of sneaking in a sail maybe Sunday if the weather holds .  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/