a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

TICE'S SHOAL RONDAYVOO 2010

Started by Bob23, June 05, 2010, 05:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Yes, I am a procrastinator. No, I haven't forgotten about this. Some dates that seem to work ok are weekends of 7/16, 7/23 or 7/30. Any feedback from any potential attenders? As I've mentioned in past posts, this is not a big, organized event but rather a chance for some of us Compac-ers to get together, eat, imbibe a bit, and enjoy telling and hearing each others sailing stories (and lies?).  There is also a great beach which you can walk over the dunes to while your vessel lies at anchor.
    Some of us usually overnight there. I've overnighted in wonderful weather and horribly windy weather. Survived both and enoyed both. In the past, PeterG, my friend Dennis (Morgan 30) and Ke3in have been in attendance.
    So, reply back if you are interested with what dates work best for you. 39 degrees 49. 65' North; 074 degrees 05.72' West.
    Bob23- off to make coffee

bmiller

That's a bit far for me, but I'd sure like to be there.

peterg

Hi Bob23,
  The weekend of 7/23 would work out well for Beagle II and crew to be in attendance. We won't be able to get in quite as close as we did with the 19, but we'll just have to anchor over with Dennis,and you shallow draft shore-huggers can dinghy on over for the usual libations and tales of nautical wonderment. The other two weekends would work, but then Becky would not be able to attend, and you know that she is the only one of the two of us that knows how to sail!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

Considering that Becky is the better looking of the two of you, I'd vote for 7/23. I think you draw the same as Dennis- 3.5', eh?
  This could be the event of the year; one not to be missed. Or it could just be another gathering of slobbering, drunk  old farts on sailboats. Either way, it should be fun.
  If there are no objections, I second the motion of 7/23- all if favor say "Aye". Against, "Nay". Looks the the Ayes have it- I hereby proclaim that the official starting date of the famous Tice's Shoals RonDayVoo 2010 shall probably be July 23, in the year of our Lord, 2010.
   Be there, or be square!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Here's a pic of Bob & his Dink from 2008's Rondayvoo.

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Tim, that was highly classified...where did you obain that top secret photo? Indeed, yes that is me rowing the tender to "Koinonia". My God, am I really that fat?
   See you there!
Bob23...I wonder if I can strap my Alden Ocean Shell to "Koinonia"- might be fun to row around Tice's.

Stray Cat

Hi Bob,
I think we may try to be there on 7/23. I'm not sure if we'll overnite or make it a day trip, but the weather will be the determining factor considering the distance we'll be travelling.
"the recovering powerboater"
Tim

Bob23

Tim:
  That's great. Although you may want to reconsider if you value your reputation at all. Hanging around us shananiganizers could get you in trouble.
  Truthfully, it would be great to meet you. I will probably knock off work early that day and try to drop the hook around 2:00 pm. I have about a 3 hour sail to get there, wind and weather permitting. Or I may sail up earlier in the week, get a slip at Long Key and shoot right over around mid-day 7/23. As you can see, we are very loosely organized, to say the least.
Bob23

peterg

I'm counting on the Great Tices RonDayVoo to take place, beginning anytime on the 23rd of this month, and was wondering how many Compac-ters are planning on being there?  Bob23 might have changed the date and time while I wasn't looking.  How about a show of hands (in the form of typing fingers, of course).
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)

Bob23

Indeed, the date remains 7/23. Hopefully the weather will not disagree. Even if I wanted to change the date, I could not- many famous dignitaries, entertainers, and major political figures have planned thier yearly schedule around this gala event.
   I'll be in touch with Dennis; he's already committed (or has been committed, which ever you choose) and is looking forward to some r&r at Tice's. As for K3vin, it doesn't sound like he'll be there, considering his Seaward sits in his driveway as we speak. Maybe he can hitch a ride with Dennis.
   More later as we approach 7/23.
Bob23

Bob23

I would hope to be arriving around mid-afternoon on 7/23. Yeah, gonna cut out of work early. I just checked the long range forecast and it ain't lookin' too good for Saturday, 7/24. But, those forecasts ain't worth a dang so we'll just see what we see.
   I usually fly a large American flag from the top o' the mast after I drop the hook. I'll be down toward the southern end away from the bulk of the yahoos. I'll stay out in 5 feet of water for the sake of you deep-drafters. I usually tow a Walker Bay 8' dingy, so I'll be easy to spot. Just look for the chubby Italian with the white Tilley on...and of course the beautiful "Koinonia" cp23/2.
   Be there or be square!
Bob23

Gator

I'm going to give it my best shot to attend.  A few weeks ago my son and I sailed to the shoals in our Compac 16.  First time in salt water for us with Maggie Mae and we had water over the bow.  It was great.  We sailed out of Trixie's marina.  There was another 16' on the hard there.  Hope to meet some of the "characters" whose exploits I have followed for the last three years on this site.
Gator

Bob23

Well, I gone and done it again. It's not my fault, really. On 7/24 is the local country radio stations "Bay Bash" at Tice's Shoals. I think they bring in a barge complete with generators, amps and plenty of country music.
   I was hoping for a quiet, relaxing weekend and this will be anything but. As some of you know, Tice's is getting really crowded these days and this will add to the mayhem. Oh well, it could be fun, too. As you know, I'm gonna try to get there on Friday afternoon, anchor out in about 5 feet of water so you deep-drafters can tie up. We'll be considerably south of the yahoos and if there is a south wind, some of the noise will stay up with them.
   I myself don't particularly care for today's country music but I certainly don't hold it against anyone who does. To each his own. Hank Williams, Jimmy Rogers, Johnny Cash...now that's the real deal!
   To reiterate, there is no itinerary, nothing is planned and everyone is responsible for there own food, drink, etc although I suspect there will be a great deal of sharing. Everyone should come prepared to tell some sailing stories and the more outlandish the better. Truth is optional.
  Bob23

peterg

Well, you've truly gone and done it again, Olly, scheduling the RonDayVoo in conjuntion with 98.5's Thunder On The Bay Day. I'd have scheduled with the GoFastBoat Races- less noise!! Actually, Bob, I think we decided on the 23rd as the best starting date because that was the only weekend that Becky would be around. As a hopeful Mea Culpa, we will provide dinner of Frogmore stew and bourbon (it's a Southern thing that originated after the War of Northern Agression) on Friday night aboard the mighty Beagle II, all RonDayVoo participants graciously invited to attend. We can holler back and forth to establish a boarding time, though something around six would probably work. If all participants attend, as well as all the invited local and national dignitaries and politicos, we may well run out of frogs, but can always fire up the grill for doggies. Music will also be provided thanks to Mr. Ipod, if anyone can stand my eclectic selections-old rock to old blues to country to new age to calypso to whatever I could stuff on to the thang. If I can get out of work early, we should make an appearance at Tices mid to late afternoon. IMHO, 98.5 Country Thunder undoubtedly heard that we Compacters would be at Tices the 23rd and scheduled their big bash to coincide with our event.
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)

Bob23

True that PG:
   Sounds like you've got the music thing covered. And we could get hi-tech by communicating with- get this- VHF radio!
   I plan on being there mid afternoon on Friday 7/23...already ok'd it with the boss.
   Being a last minute planner, I'd better get my butt in gear and start loading the goodies aboard "Koinonia". Hey- I might even bring that bottle of $90.00 Tequila I brought back from Mexico...nice thing to sip while watching a Tice's Sunset!
   See you all there!
  Bob23