Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

TICE'S SHOAL RONDAYVOO 2010

Started by Bob23, June 05, 2010, 05:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

OK:
  Here, then is the unadulterated, unfiltered and unplugged report on the 2010 Tices Shoal RonDayVoo.
  Friday, 7/23 greeted us all here in the NE with oven-hot temps but being the intrepid sailors that we are, we persevered on to attend the RonDayVoo, herein known as the RDV. Pretty clever, eh? I took the day off, and first stop was Shop-rite where I provisioned the ship for the weekend. They tell you not to shop when hungry and I can attest it's true. At the checkout, I realized I could feed a small army for 6 months with what I had in my cart. Undeterred, I paid the nice girl and moved on with the adventure.
  Finally at the ship, I loaded the grub, water, clothes, my trusty Grundig shortwave and a whole s-load of other necessities, most of which I forget just now what they are- but I'm sure I couldn't live without 'em. Winds were west south-west which for me meant a run North to the agreed-upon RDV- the famed, furious and notorious: Tices Shoals! I had a great sail- made it there in 3 hours flat and, of course, Koinonia performed beautifully, as she always does. I used to get mad at jet skiers and powerboaters who came too close, thinking they were ignorant asses. Now I realize, they just want to get a closer look at the ship. Can't blame 'em. I do the same thing when I see a beautiful woman. Ouch! Just got hit in the head by the Admiral!
  Upon entering the Shoals, which ain't really shoals at all, I picked a spot on about 5 feet of water, anticipating PeterG (Cp27 Beagle 2) Dennis (1970 Morgan 30) and a cast of thousands. Dropping the hook, which for me is a custom made stainless steel danforth-type anchor with a rare s-shaped shank, commenced right away.  It originally was a straight shank but a close encounter with a piling sorta reconfigured it. The piling didn't move.
As the anchor fell to the depths, I prepared for a great weekend although the forecast was for excessive heat and already at 1400 hrs it was hot.  I like to have everything in it's place while on a boat- don't like clutter so I busied myself with the chores at hand when I noticed that everyone else around me was moving upwind for some reason. Strange. Last time I had that feeling was when I was driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Atlantic City, NJ. "Look at all these morons" I remember thinking. The astute reader has already noticed what took me 10 minutes to see: my anchor was dragging and swiftly toward one of those really ugly powerboats. Thinking I really didn't want to get to know them all that well, I motored up, reset the hook and all was well with the world aging.
  Ok...I'm tired now so I'll update this in the morning. Stay tuned! Got to go to sleep now....zzzz
Ok...back now. After the aforementioned ordeal, it was by this time about 1600 hrs and I anxiously awaited for the throng of Compac sailors to arrive.  Petera dn his wife Becky were en route but and little confrontation between their towed kayaks, gravity and water was gonna delay them for a while. It seems that while towing the 'yaks, the waves decided to take up temporary abode inside the kayaks which threatened to send them down to you-know-whos locker. This meant a return trip t o their house to ditch the 'yaks before proceeding over for the RDV. Meanwhile, my friend Dennis decided it would be more fun to work then sail so he didn't show up. Alas, it was the same for all of the rest of the potential RDV er's but I think I know the heat would keep some of the folks away. Except for the yahoos who were gathered for the annual Bay Bash hosted by the local country music station. They were to gather enforce on Saturday morning.
  Fast foreword to about 1830 hrs and Peter and Becky arrived in the Beagle 2. After setting thier hook, at which time Becky showcased her expertise steering the ship while Peter did the actual hook setting, they motioned for me to row over for dinner.

Bob23

Part 2:
   If Peter ever finds himself stranded on a deserted island with his wife Becky, starvation will not be a concern. Becky first brought out some hors derves (yeah I know it's spelled wrong) of organic vegetables grown in her own garden, crackers and some goat cheese. And no paper plates here, mind you. All this was on the Beagles finest real plates. In the simmering heat of a setting NJ sun, we snacked, indulged in some beer and talked of sailing for hours. Seeing how they have sailed much longer than me, I did most of the listening.
   Soon it was time for dinner and Frogmoge stew was on the menu. No, there were no frogs in it at all and I hope that Becky will forgive me but I don't remember what was in it. Maybe Peter will fill in the blanks for me. I do remember it was delicious! Finishing off the meal was real, fresh coffee- who said we were roughing it?!
   Somewhere along the way, a large barge appeared that would be the stage for the bands on Saturday morning. We assumed that they would anchor said barge far away from us. We assumed wrong. As fate would have it, they set the darned thing about 100 feet from Peters Beagle. So much for peace and quiet. The marine police are a increasing presence at Tice's Shoals and tonight was no exception. The meandered in and out of the anchored boats, doing a close ddrive-by to Peters boat, admiring it no doubt. During all this, we noticed 2 things: It had gotten dark, and the barge had no lights on it. Both things were soon to to change. Stay tuned for part 3.

Bob23

Part 3:
   For some reason, my computer is not allowing me to shoot my mouth off on this site anymore. I can't seem to write my usual long posts anymore. Maybe someone can help me.
Part 3 for real:
   After boarding the barge, the marine coppers woke someone up who looked like they maybe couldv'e been in charge of something. We guessed the missing anchor light was a issue and soon someone set the mother of all anchor lights: a 1000 watt halogen spotlight aimed (you guessed it) right at the Beagle 2! No one could miss the barge now...except unless blinded by the light.
   Soon it was time to retire...I managed to board my trusty dingy without going into the drink, took some of my provisions with me and, bidding each other farwell, rowed back to "Koinonia".
Now Island Beach State Park is a rustic place, relatively untouched with plenty of salt marsh off to the south but for some reason, we never have mosquitos there. I think I had one on board that night and after she had her fill of my blood, she staggered off to home.
   Further off to the south is the famous Barnegat Lighthouse which recently came back on line as a private navigational aid. (See NOAA chart #12324 me thinks.) Stay tuned for part 4
Bob23 out   

Bob23

Part 4:
   The next morning I was up early and noticed the bands tourbus (a charter fishing boat) approaching the barge. At about 0630 hrs local, Cap't Mike, or so he was called, began using the PA system from his pilot house to direct his merry men on how to tie up a boat to a barge. It was still going on after we awoke and were enjoying scones and coffee in the cockpit of Beagle 2 so we sat back to marvel at the spectacal before us. How many nimrods does it take to tie up a boat to a barge? We'll never know...we lost count! But all in all, it took about 2 hours. Good thing it wasn't an emergency.
   After the show, Peter and Beckyb opted for an early departure so we said our farwells in the hot July NJ morning heat and I rowed back to my ship to plan my next move.
   Did I mention that it was hot that weekend? And that the heat kept some potential RonDayVoo-ers away? Realizing that I was experiencing the first signs of heat exhaustion and not wanting to hang around while the next  800 or so boats converged on our sacred ground, I button up the ship and set sail, taking a few long tacks toward the mainland. A mere, blistering 4 hours later, I tied up Koinonia at her home port, hastilly put the mainsail away and took a nap.
    I'm not a stranger to heat stroke, having experienced it a few times previously  working and long distance cyling. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the weekend inside, A/C on and napping. Part 5 coing soon.

Bob23

Bob23

Part 5 or "The end of the story":
   All in all , it was a great weekend. We all survived, we all had great sails, and I can't wait to try more of Becky's Frogmore stew. Also, Peter seems to be a conisquer of fine burbon. If I ever start to indulge, I'll take some pointers from him.
   Any time out on the water is good.  Some are better than others but it was a weekend to remember, even if demon heatstroke was lurking nearby.
   There are more overnighters planned for Tice's Shoals...some may be announced here; some may not. In any event, there is nothing quite like spending quality time about our yachts, sailing, eating, inbibing a little and just generally letting the real world go by.
   Fair winds to all...stay cool...and "Catch you on the sandbar!"
Bob23

peterg

Bob23- the story was never finished because you never posted any photos, so here goes. In fact, there are pics from last year's and this year's RonDaysVoo!!!  Enjoy.

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

Wow: You've found the lost photos of Tice's Shoals! Great shots! Remember the entertainment as they tried to tie that powerboat off? Juat amazing what an experienced crew can do.
   Now that the story is complete, time to start planning next years big event!
Bob23

romei

I love that boom tent Bob.  It got me to thinking.  I replaced the tires on my golf cart last summer and could ship you the old ones if you want to use them as fenders.  That would dress her out nicely!
:-D :-D :-D

All kidding aside,
I have a coleman pup tent that I used for strapping onto the front of my harley when I'd go to bike weeks and other motorcycle events.  Even though it is well used, it is in remarkably good condition.  I carefully cut the bottom and ends out of it and it makes a fine looking boom tent.

Thanks for the pictures.  Tice's shoal is on my list of places I want to sail.  Maybe I'll make it there next year.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Bob23

I spared no expense on that boom tent. $8.97 at Wally World, if my memory serves me correctly. Sure, I could've gotten the cheap blue tarp but my 23 deserves the best! Yep- ship them tires right on out...I assume they are whitewalls?
   Reminds me of a guy at our cove who hung an old pair of sneakers off the side as fenders. He had an old blue O'Day Mariner which probably once was in nice shape.
Bob23