a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Similar situation. How did we do this? It is a quandry that I wonder if there is an answer to. I am trying to slowly go down in income and slowly live on less. And don't worry about the back burner- I'll keep on bringing it up until a few of you are crazy enough to join me. ;)

Bob23

When we last left the brave Capt Bob23, he was trying to get household chores done asap so he could sail his beloved "Koinoina". Fast forward a few hours..chores done...and it's a quick hop in the 1984 Honda Accord Hatchback (aka"Hatch") and down to the marina. Winds were forecast to be light- 5-9 mph and the Capt had to be back at 1600 hrs- no later to arrive at church by 1700 hrs for band practice. Yes, the Capt plays, or attempts to play accoustic drums. So far, to the best of  our knowledge, no one has left the church on account of his percussiony ineptitude.
   After motoring out, the wind was noticable stronger than forecast (big surprise here) and, taking the wind on his starboard quarter, he arrived at Tice's Shoals in no time, with dinghy in tow. No one else was there so after a bit of a nap and contemplating beating back to port, he pulled the hook from the sandy bottom only 5 feet below.
   It soon became apparent that the apparent wind was much stronger ; a 25 mph gust was clocked with the anemomator  that is in his sailing bag. Wave height had grown with the increasing wind and it soon became apparent that he was trying to break the record for the maximum use of the word apparent in one story.
   Koinonia doesn't like to be over canvassed and she lets you know it by heeling over, way over. Combine that with the waves striking her side, and soon the Capt was a wee bit wet. It was a bit hard trying to find the right sail combination but soon, dropping the main altogether and sailing under full jib alone, we began to make decent headway. I tried to motorsail, being a bit impatient and that helped a bit, but I don't like the noise.
   I don't like being late. No, corrrection, I hate being late. And the later I get, the worse my mood gets. After I realized there was no way I was gonna be back in time...a peace came over me. Well, no, it was a wave of water...and then a wave of peace. And a voice-"This is sailing, son. We don't abide by no clock...time means nothing to the waves and wind. You'll get back when you get back and-shoot- whatareya complaining about...your'e sailing, aren't you?"
   It's good to listen to that voice. We had a great sail back, taking in the moments we were given and the sun was setting just as we pulled into the slip. (An aside: When I try to pull into a slip, I'm reminded of that great Who song- "Pinball Wizard". They sure make these Compacs tough, I can attest.)
   I got back 30 minutes late...sped home in the trusty aforemetioned Honda, using all 86 horses, scrubbed and me and Hatch sped off, arriving half an hour late. No problemo, I was assured...we didn't do anything anyway for the first half hour.
   It's good to stay in touch with more than a clock, cell phone and a computer. Maybe the reason we all love sailing and love sailing our Compacs, is that we get in touch with more reality this way. It's a way of turning our backs on a world gone mad, even if for a short time, and getting to do it in a beautiful boat. Does it get any better than this?
Bob23

Bob23

11/22/09 sail report.
   Beginning to dry out like a prune, we (my brother and I) got out for a great sail in 18-22 mph NE winds on the trusty "Koinonia". We sailed with only full jib, made great upwind progress, got a bit wet, and had a wonderful sail under a sunny-turned cloudy sky.
   I realize that my sailing days are numbered for this year, so the trip was so much more fun. Looks like the ship will be hauled on Saturday, 11/28, brought home, cleaned up and readied for her winter hibernation. She's had a busy and rewarding spring, summer and fall and deserves a nice scrub, pj's, and winters nap.
   Back to the sail: We headed out of Long Key Marina under Nissan 8 and, once in the bay, pointed the ship into the NE wind, unwound the jib and fell off to a port tack. It was instantly obvious, that no mains'l was needed. As I previously mentioned and most 23 captains are aware, the 23 doesn't enjoy being overcanvassed  and today was no exception.
   As we tacked North, we enjoyed spending some time together. My brother, when I called him to invite him for the event, was torn between cleaning out his gutters or sailing. It took him a nanosecond to decide. This is the same brother ( I have only one) who owns an old O'day Mariner new to him last summer, and sailed her all over the place. It's a great boat and we "raced" against each other many times. You might not think a 23 has a chance against a Mariner, but when the winds pipe up and your'e sailing with the current, oh yeah...she flies!
   Back to the sail again. In a rare move, no beer or alcohol of any type was brought aboard. When the water's cold, wind is strong, and hey-that looks like the marine police- I imbibe no sustaining bevs other than coffee and water. I know about hyperthermia and while I have no fear of death, didn't wish to schedule it in for yesterday. I respect the water and winds and God. The rum can wait 'till we arrive back at the dock.
   I knew that Peter was going to be motoring his new-to-him 1990 CP27 out of his lagoon and North to Cedar Creek Marina and was hoping to meet up but we were far east on a port tack when we saw him exit. As we came about and headed west, we knew we were not going to catch him. Hailed on the VHF but no answer so used the shoe-phone. I'm looking forward to sailing on that ship next spring.
   After a few more tacks, expertly executed by my brother, we decided to run downwind to the barn. The old girl has a habit of surfing down waves as if dancing and then wanting to turn to the audience and take a bow. "Not now" says I. "Wait 'till the performance is over." She behaved wonderfully, another testimony to the classy girl that she is.
   We sailed into the lagoon under jib, started up old Miss Nissan, and motored in to a setting sun hiding behind grey clouds. Didn't even strike a piling this time. It was a great sail, maybe the last one of the season as rain is forecast for this week. I am hoping for a Thanksgiving morning sail to complete the season and then it's off to bed with ye, Koinonia.
Bob23-your correspondent in NJ             

brackish

Great stuff, Bob23, too bad she has to come out.  I'm going out tomorrow for the afternoon and then much to my dismay, I will be traveling for the holiday and will miss four beautiful sailing days.  However, a couple of the local sailors are trying to put together a 4-5 day group cruise for December.  Hard to coordinate that around conflicts but maybe it will make.

If you and Newt are successful in getting that circle trip off the back burner, let me know.  I live on the route, or at least the preferred route (Bay Springs Lake on the Tenn-Tom).  In fact, I'm going to skip the ditch, tow down and do a couple of loop cruises on the route late this spring.  First will be Port St. Joe around Cape San Blas to Government Cut through St. George Island, through Apalachicola Bay into the ICW and back out at Panama City then along the coast back to Port St. Joe.  Then maybe B.E.E.R while the boat is down there.  Then from there over to Gulfport, MS.

Frank 2

HideAway

Bob,

Its always good to have a last of season sail that includes the boat having a bone in her teeth as they say.   I've never had any luck getting HideAway to sail at all with either one of the sails down.   My main is old and needs to be replaced but even under just the 110 jib she feels like a car skidding on the ice going down hill.   The only cure so far has been to raise the rudder a bit for more bite.

Anyway hope you do get out on TG - thats an accomplishment in itself!   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

THE THANKSGIVING DAY 2009 SAIL:
  Thanksgiving day greeted me with fog, drizzle and no wind. Not what I had in mind. I had envisioned a brisk, sunny day with 15-20 mph NW winds, hot coffee on board and a last sail of the season with a few fellow sailing nuts. I don't know where I got that idea..the forecasters were never even hinting at such a day here in the South of NJ. So in the house I remained.
   Instead of whining about the weather, I enjoyed a second (and third) cup of coffee sitting by the crackling wood stove and played on the floor with my daughter and her crazy dog. I really enjoyed the moments together and didn't miss sailing one bit. It's good not to have tunnel vision and to accept those rare moments of life when and where they come along.
   Today looks like the day...stay tuned for what may be the last chapter of the book.
Bob23

wordnut

Per your desire to do the Great Circle, I have done only the part from Kentucky to Florida, down the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway to Mobile and then East to Gulf Breeze FL. The waterway itself is all motoring, watching out for towboats and 12 ominous locks.  Yet it was VERY FUN. I recommend it highly.  I wrote about it in SAIL magazine (Dec 2003). The article has some pretty good itinerary advice (how long it takes and that kind of thing), so if you keep back issues, look it up. Unfortunately, that was before they posted stuff online, so it's not on the web. I'd love to do the Circle sometime and I think doing it in stages would be a good idea (rather than waiting until retirement) especially if you can find another boat to share the fun with.

Bob23

BLACK FRIDAY- THE FINAL SAIL OF 2009:
   The day dawned windy, raining and cool but I had inside information that it would clear and be a great day to sail "Koinonia" up to the marina for a saturday 0800 hrs haulout.
   Dennis, my sailing buddy and fellow co-conspiritor in construction, met at Long Key Marina where "Koinonia" has spent the last month. Miss Nissan started, as usual, on the first pull; no electric start here. I backed out of the slip wondering if I could ever shed my image as "Pinball Wizard" but this time I backed out in contrary winds and touched nary a piling.
   We motored out of Waretown Creek for the last time for the year and headed out into the cold, deserted Barnegat Bay. No other sailboats out and hardly a powerboat at all, save for a TowBoat who was trolling for a kill. "Begone, foul shark!" I shouted. "You'll get no business here!" He shrugged off, searching somewhere else for his prey
   We headed up, unfurled the jib only and proceeded NE under a grey sky and North winds blowing 15-25 mph gusting to 30. The 23 seems to like just having her jib out when it gets gusty and when the water is cold with no apparent help around, I sail a bit more conservative than in the middle of summer. No beer on board at all.
   After a few tacks, we headed straight up the Forked River, started up the Nissan 8, rolled the jib and headed west towards Townsends Marina where Jim will haul her out Saturday morning. It was a short sail but a sail nonetheless. I really don't keep score, giving one sail more or less points than another. I try to enjoy just being out on the water in a beautiful ship. It's a good way to refresh the soul.
   All in all, it's been a great year of sailing even though I did not complete the one long trip I had tentatively planned. I sailed in fog, sun, rain and some recalcitrant winds and it was all fun. I kept the ship safe in the worst nor'easter we've had in 17 years and got to take as many friends out for a sail as possible. "Joining" loves to show off!
   Of course there are winter projects planned- a built-in head/portapotti. Folding nav table. Foiled rudder which I hope to make out of wood- NACA shaped blocks and sheathed in mahogany plywood. Dorade box with cowl vent. And the ever present sanding and varnishing.
   Till we meet again by way of the Internet,
Bob23, your loyal correspondent in NJ.

adifferentdrummer

Good stuff Bob! Really enjoyed reading your sailing saga.

Milt

Bob23

Well, as I get ready to hibernate here in NJ with my winter pj's on, the valiant Capt Bob23 basks in the torqoisse waters of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Well, he certainly deserves a rest and I'm sure he'll come back with a new tan. Rumor has it he's been flirting with the young Mexican guide on the whale watching trimaran he went on today. How do I know these things? Well, we Compacs just know. It's all been done in good taste, I'm sure. More later,
s/v Koinonia

Bob23

The last we left the brave Capt Bob23, he was downing his second Margarita aboard the sunset dinner cruise boat "Rissalena". After a 35 year break from Tequila, he has finally rediscovered this wonderful staple. I don't think it Will ever replace "Gosslings Black Seal rum" as the main provision aboard, but it's good to have a backup.
   You may remember that the intrepid Capt split the Northeast for a week to do some on site reporting from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. It seems he's forgotten his assignment and instead spends his days snorkeling, eating, and whalewatching and his nights stargazing in the unpolluted air of southern Baja. Between all that hard labor, he still makes time to stay hydrated with beer and Tequila. What a multi-tasker. We now have a statement coming in from the Capt himself:
   "In some of the more wasted days of my wayward youth, I was conned into drinking mucho Tequila in a very short period of time. After meeting Montezuma personally and getting to know him well, I swore off the stuff forever. Even the smell of it made me nauseous. But it took a visit to Cabo to set me straight: this wonderful food is meant to be sipped not guzzled. I'll make sure I return with a bottle of the good stuff because it looks like a long, cold winter in NJ."
   Well, as you can see, the good Capt seems to have forgotten that he's on a journalistic work assignment and is too busy having fun to work. As long as he gets his butt back here to make good on his promises of some nice winter upgrades. I know he's been looking at some other sailboats while down there ( as well as dancing and flirting with some of the local ladies), but his heart is true. At least it  better be. Or else!
   As we approach Christmas, let me be the first vessel to with you all a blessed Christmas!
s/v "Koinonia"

kahpho

You can gloat all you want, it makes no difference. I'll still be envious.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Bob23

Being a water addicted guy, I plan on doing some rowing this winter in my very old but new to me Alden Ocean shell. I might even toss the Force 5 in the water to help get a sailing fix. How do you all other fellow Compac-ers deal with sailing withdrawal?
Bob23

Craig Weis

I do the CPYOA site. And brackish's commit about wood reminds me that winter is boat building class time.

skip is the yellow walrus.

brackish

Thank you Koinonia, for the update.  Arion, destined to spend the winter in the very cold, but not frozen waters of the mid south longs for these occasional updates.  I'll pass it on to her.

As for your good Captain, you dog you.  Basking in the sun in a sea of salt water with a splash tequila, rum, and cerveza while the rest of us soldier on shoveling snow or raking leaves and venturing out occasionally to brave the insane holiday traffic. 

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

As far as sailing withdrawal, one of my other passions is woodworking.  Time to get in the shop and finish some of those half done furniture pieces the Admiral has been anticipating.  And when she is not looking, sneak in a few boat projects.  Where I am it is a certainty that a few winter days will be good for sailing, so not much withdrawal here.