a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Electric Outboards

Started by Bub, January 09, 2022, 12:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

I don't if you've seen Renae's set up on his SC. I believe the remote and cup holders are screwed down.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12113.0

I think I know where you're thinking on your Sunday Cat, aft of the coaming. That looks pretty exposed to me. Even if hard mounted, it would be easy to bump when tending the motor or rudder, or foul a slack sheet or line. I'd keep it in the cockpit.
https://www.gisails.com/boatpictures/sundaycat/494

My remotes, both the Torqeedo and Spirit, were loose in the cockpit, usually under the tiller. That worked fine with the silicone non-skid. The second photo shows a cup holder I made with the silicone non-skid being tested on a glass door. I wouldn't trust a drink in it, but... Send me a PM with your mailing address and I can send you a sample to test.

I have used Sticky Pod suction cup for mounting equipment to smooth gelcoat surfaces in the cockpit. They've been discontinued it seems, but these look equivalent.
https://www.amazon.com/Herco-Diameter-Neoprene-Female-Threaded-Suction/dp/B00J5M3J70
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Reighnman

Just purchased a leftover 1103 Torqeedo to make the switch on my Sunday Cat. Fuel issues have gotten me for the last time on this boat! Great information on here about all the options and issues. Can't wait to get it on and out sailing!
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bub

Thanks Bruce

I agree about the mount aft of the coaming being problematic.
So you use the Starboard pictured earlier (copper/orange) to prevent skidding, but used the suction cup for a more quasi permanent location?

If so, how does the suction cup attach to the bottom of the remote?
Bub

bruce

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse things. The suction cups I used for other gear, VHF radios for example.

With the remote, you could attach them to a platform like the StarBoard. One would be kind of floppy, so maybe 2, 3, or 4. The suction would be secure, but there would still be some flex in the mount that might be annoying. I'd do a mock up with plywood scrap to test the concept before getting too fussy making a presentable platform.

The self-adhering, 1/16" silicone rubber keeps it from slipping around, and tight enough so you can work the lever with one hand. The lever is actually a little stiff on the Spirit remote. The remote is right down on the gelcoat, so no flexing.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

No problem!! Gave me a better idea about my handheld!

So the self adhering silicone comes with the Remote?

From the picture it appears to screw into the underside of the remote into pre drilled threaded holes?

bruce

The remote comes as first pictured on the left. As you say, it comes with threaded inserts for fastening to the remote to something. The 3/4" black StarBoard platform with the red silicone adhered to it I added.

The silicone is from McMaster-Carr, part #9010K42 (same as 9010K421). Not cheap, but I've used if for 10 years or so, indoors and out, and find lots of uses for it. It also come in 1/32" which may be enough. The 10A durometer rating is key, it's so soft that it conforms to the surface and cohesion holds it in place. It can get dirty over time, with dust, etc., just wash it of and it grips like new. I probably clean the remote base once or twice a season. It feels like a firm gel, easy to cut but more durable than you think. Again, I can send a small sample to play with to anyone interested. I'm sure there are are other soft rubbers that would work.
https://www.mcmaster.com/9010K42/
https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber/backing-type~adhesive/for-use-outdoors~yes/color~red/hardness-rating~soft/

McMaster Carr is great, love their online catalog. If their NJ warehouse has what I ordered I'll have it next day in RI. They stock a marine-grade HDPE, like StarBoard, that would work. The platform adds a little heft to the remote, feels more substantial.
https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/for-use-outdoors~yes/comparable-to~seaboard/

Check your My Messages, I sent you something related.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

Bub,

Try a few spots and put it where it makes the most sense for you.

My solution was to remove the cushion under the tiller--no one sits there anyway, so it's really a spacer.  I made a tray and leave my remote bolted to it (my boat always sleeps in the barn at night).  From that spot, it pairs every time with the motor upswung.

And, as for that, swing it up when you sail.  Why add drag and noise?  It takes almost no effort the old fashioned way, and if you want to get fancy, Bruce has a hack for you.

Renae

Bub

Thank you. Great solution!
Bub

Renae

It was a one day project and only took that long because I had never worked with King Starboard and followed the "measure 458 times, cut once (okay twice, tops)" principle.  I just saw that Bruce linked my old post.  I've moved the cupholders forward since then.  Nice compromise for taller cups fitting under the tiller.  I round-over routed the tray so your leg can transgress the corner without feeling a hard edge.

I could cut in the cupholders, but just screwing them down works for me.

Renae

Quote from: bruce on January 12, 2022, 02:43:57 PM
I don't if you've seen Renae's set up on his SC.

One would think the -ae spelling would be a giveaway, but apparently not. :P

Renae

One more thing...I actually leave the motor pinned straight, which makes raising and lowering so much easier IMO.  I don't need to turn in less than a boat length and it works fine on the lakes I sail.

Jim in TC

Quote from: Renae on January 14, 2022, 12:13:48 AM
It was a one day project and only took that long because I had never worked with King Starboard and followed the "measure 458 times, cut once (okay twice, tops)" principle.  I just saw that Bruce linked my old post.  I've moved the cupholders forward since then.  Nice compromise for taller cups fitting under the tiller.  I round-over routed the tray so your leg can transgress the corner without feeling a hard edge.

I could cut in the cupholders, but just screwing them down works for me.

I must admit this reminded me of a frequent line we used often when I was building our house (I am not a carpenter): "I cut it twice and it's still too short."
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Bub

Thanks to all who have responded. After considering all the comments which were VERY helpful, drilling down into the websites, and talking with the Vendors directly I settled on the ePropulsion Spirit Evo model. Placed my order and am waiting for confirmation of shipping date.

Once again, I appreciate the fact that this forum exists, and that owners are generous with sharing their experiences and expertise. After installing and using, I'll provide my impressions. Currently it?s a bit too cold to go sailing for some of us thin blooded folks, but that should pass soon.

All the Best
Bub

bruce

Very exciting, Bub! I look forward to hearing about your experience with the Evo.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

I, too, will be interested in your experience. When we bought the Torqueedo I don't think ePropulsion was yet an option, and both motors have evolved quite a bit in the last couple years. In today's market I doubt that you can go wrong with either of them, and it boils down to features and preferences.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel