a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CBMWG 4.0

Started by Mas, November 01, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkm

Sorry, looks like I'm going to need to "bow out" again.  Normally, this means my 'butt is in' (as in transom), but in this case it means I can't make it.  Lexi is away in Florida, and the girls have 'Sister Social' events which means that I'm the taxi driver.
Larry.
2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

Mas

Quote from: lkm on January 18, 2019, 08:09:28 PM
Sorry, looks like I'm going to need to "bow out" again.  Normally, this means my 'butt is in' (as in transom), but in this case it means I can't make it.  Lexi is away in Florida, and the girls have 'Sister Social' events which means that I'm the taxi driver.
Larry.

Hey there lkm, appreciate you letting us know your status but I get the feeling you meant to reply to Bob et al on the BBMWG thread! That's what happens when one has so many events! Might wanna check in over there.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

I have been holding off on any updates to CBMWG as events have conspired to lay me up for a considerable length of time and just now am beginning to accept the fact it may be months before i am able to walk again without assistance and without pain.

Two weeks ago while skiing, a young snowboarder cut me off leaving me with no where to go. (it is my responsibility to give way when overtaking and i was overtaking him, not unlike sailing right of ways). The result of a sudden unexpected turn on ice was a slow twisting fall that broke my tibia, and compromised both the ACL and MCL as well. Just had surgery this past week to become a melding of new bone graft, metal plate and screws, combined with CL repair. Bottom line besides a great deal of pain, is my inability to weight bear for many weeks if not months, also not a good candidate to stand behind in a line with any metal detectors! Of more immediate concern is whether Susan simply decides to place me out on the curb with a 'Reduced Price, As Is' for sale sign.

So....my follow-up to surgery visit is set for 2/11 and am pretty sure the care plan will not look like traveling long distances with little chance for a normal weekend. Ya never know though, maybe miracle healing is taking place even as we speak! Anyway, my lack of ability to attend should not dissuade folks from getting together. I certainly will be there in spirit if not able to in person.

This has provided me with waaay more time on my hands to ponder sailing season (which i hope can happen for me in a timely fashion) and the projects that are on tap for this year. With a desire to be on the hook a bunch this year, am thinking about a new additional anchor to the 1989 35# CQR currently on Interlude's bow. Maybe a new Spade along with new rode and move the CQR to the other bow roller. (we have two bow rollers) That along with the Fortress we have in the stern anchor locker and roller should giver us ample ground tackle. This injury has reminded me of my lack of immortality and that the current windlass on Interlude is 66 years old and has had a few issues as of late! So am also pondering the install of a manual vertical windlass to give this 66 year old one a little break.

Anyway, life is to be lived and when you do stuff happens. The surgeon knows that my desire is to be back on the snow next year, I hope to always pay the tuition for living a full life rather than the price you pay for not. I clearly had the snow season end early, but i also had 20 days on the snow under my skis and board when it did. No regrets. Hope to see folks at some point in the near future to partake in the fun of tricking the wind into moving our boats!

Peace.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Tim Gardner

Sorry for the  "minor" inconvenience you are experiencing. (Minor snowboarder)  Sking is a rough contact sport.

Vicki and I hope and pray you have a complete, if not speedy recovery.   Getting old is not for the meek.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Wayne J

Hey Rick!   Live life to the fullest!  I hope you have a quick and complete recovery my friend!

El Cheapo!
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Mas

Hmmm...got a call from Bob wishing me well and letting me know he saw a Craiglist ad for me, 'As is and Where is'! He said Susan seems to be asking a ton of money so i ought to be safe for now. Know I'm in trouble when it shows up on the 'free' section!

Wayne got the pics you texted me of your new CP 16-2. Now you need the 16-3 and the 16-3 CB version and you will have a complete collection! All kidding aside, the prices for well founded ones, especially Mk2 & 3's seems to be on the rise. You need to bring one of those down to Regent so that along with Joan and her 87' 16-2 and our 87' 16-2 we can have a regatta!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

I love ricotta...and mozzarella, too!! Provolone is my favorite though!  I bet I could trade some PBR to Wayne for a 16!

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on February 03, 2019, 07:23:20 PM
I love ricotta...and mozzarella, too!! Provolone is my favorite though!  I bet I could trade some PBR to Wayne for a 16!

Gunna probably cost ya a ton of PBR along with necessary PBR bling!

Susan is quite capable of skippering the 16 so once she gets rid of her handicapped handicap she might just take the cheese!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Don't worry... I just checked- you're not on a Criagslist curb alert yet!!

K3v1n

Wishing you a speedy recovery Rick!

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

HeaveToo

Sorry to hear of your fall.  That really stinks.  I hope that you are recovered well enough for when sailing season comes around!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

brackish

So sorry to hear about your accident.  And happening while you did the right thing.  Hope you recover fully and quickly.

While skiing two seasons ago one of the women in our party, a 73 year old, who was the most predictable skier I've ever seen was hit from behind by a teenager skiing out of control.  Barb's path looked like an electrical sine wave so the kid could not claim he did not know how she would turn.  I got her up and initially she seemed OK just a little beat up, in fact she skied for a couple of hours more that day.  The next morning she came down for breakfast and started slurring her words.  Air lifted to Denver she was in the Hospital for three days and then returned home and had surgery for a subdural hematoma.  I had never worn a helmet before that, but now I do.

Wayne J

Rick

I hope your follow-up surgery was successful!

I will be selling the 1977 CP16 in a few months after I finish the final items on my list!

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Mas

Hey All,

Thanks so much for the well wishes! Had my first post-op followup visit and everything looks great and can now bend my knee, though still cannot drive nor weight bear more than 20%, thus walking is still not an option. Next visit in 4 weeks and at that time anticipate becoming mobile again, though with brace in place. Starting PT next week. Susan still has not found a buyer for me, so it appears I'm not marketable and thus safe still!

Meanwhile have been totally immersed in many of the sailing channels out there on You-tube. Watching them has helped answer my thread question "Where are the next generation of sailors?" 90% of the channels are by millennials, my sons age +/- a few years. Have included a link to particular episode of one of them. Think you all will enjoy the boat at the 6:40 second mark! Actually their whole series has been quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC-853M6jl8&list=PLx_mGFQfb39FRLFgmfdJhD9gAzlim5NPR&index=18

Meanwhile it's time to get back to my busy schedule of get up, hang out, go to bed, repeat!

peace.

P.S. Thanks for the card Bob. It will have a honored place next to the taps here, once i can navigate stairs again!

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Hey crew. I doubt I'll be making the CBMWG 4.0.  Work and other enemies are conspiring against me. not 100% sure yet, I'll know more today. In any event, a cold PRB will be hoisted high!!