a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CBMWG 4.0

Started by Mas, November 01, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Yes! Good times...good friends! Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer!!!

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on November 07, 2018, 09:27:47 PM
Yes! Good times...good friends! Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer!!!

So how are sailing and PBR similar? .......They both are damn close to water! (the actual joke is way too R rated for this forum)  :)

You guys crack me up!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Wayne J

CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Bob23

It's PBR, Rick. If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand!!

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on November 09, 2018, 06:41:03 PM

I understand, it's just we prefer to bring our bottled water from home. We have such good water here in the shadow of the Shenandoah!

Not to be a buzz kill but:

https://theheartysoul.com/worst-beer-8-beers-avoid-summer/

http://www.trueactivist.com/10-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately-gallery-t2/14/

https://www.organics.org/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

....and the list goes on...

....hey that's why they are cheap, Wayne and Bob! Jus sayin...I'd sill raise a glass of one with ya though, jus won't buy it or drink it otherwise. Can't help it, we brew it here some, and there are over 200 breweries in Virginia and over two dozen within a half hour of our home. We do agree on the best small sailboats out there! Clearly we should continue this discussion in person over a beer throw down, hmmm... let's see maybe CBMWG 4.0  (just to prove I can truly return to topic eventually!) :)

P.S. Sometime February 2019, maybe Presidents Day weekend?

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Excuse me...Guinness? On the list?? Sorry...I'm a Guinness man till the day I depart this world!!

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on November 09, 2018, 10:15:26 PM
Excuse me...Guinness? On the list?? Sorry...I'm a Guinness man till the day I depart this world!!

I still like the occasional Guiness draft, brewed a little different, but since you mentioned until the day I depart this world...here is one to die for. Not for the weak of heart and it will hurt you at over 11 abv, but it is soooo good.

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/the-abyss/

Just down the road in Roanoke and just released for this season. Truly special. I will try to remember to bring some to CBMWG.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Wow Rick, that does look and sound good. You bring it...I'll try it.
  And on the water subject, do bring some Shenandoah water...wonder how it compares to the brew we have under the Garden State in the Cohansey Aquafer? Sweet stuff and so much of it!
  Looking forward to the CBMWG version 4.0 so I'll pencil in that timeframe.
  Cheers, mates!!

Mas

Yup, the Abyss can be aged for years! Our son when he returned from a few years out west brought back a ton of craft brews from breweries not available here and that was the first Abyss we ever had. Aged the second bottle two years, OMG.

The 'bottled' water I was referring to is from our well. One of the reasons Virginia has so many breweries now is the water quality and amount. Our situation is that we are surrounded by watershed management land and have the Shenandoah National Park as our water shed. Water simply bubbles out of the ground here, we are so fortunate. Know NJ has lots of H2O as well, it is called the Garden State!

Winter has arrived and sailing season is just about done. Heading down to the Bay in a few minutes for the last gathering of the season there. So...guess it'll be time for that winter gathering before ya know it! How's that for trying to stay on topic!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

I may have to smuggle a few Abyss's back to NJ...sell 'em on the black market to offset MWG costs...and for bail! Is it available near Pedro's house or would you pick some up for me when I venture down thataways for the gathering?

Tim Gardner

Abyss is still not aH-vaH-laH-bull east of the Mis-sip-ee.  Regretfully reported.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Mas

We have our connections! Working on it. Thought for sure they would be shipping to Roanoke but never the less am on it!

Dark Hollow Stout (definitely just down the road) is a suitable replacement but still.....
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Well, I'll go with your recommendations of course! Now...what was this thread about??

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on November 10, 2018, 08:10:34 PM
Well, I'll go with your recommendations of course! Now...what was this thread about??

Choose
Beer
Maybe
Wine
Gathering?

Let's face it we always start the gathering's discussions here first and continue them in person!

Got the heater blasting aboard right now. It's mid 30's and been blowing all night. The main halyard is flapping some but gunna finish coffee first....too chilly on deck right now. I know being a whimp, but hung by the bonfire last night playing some music till fingers got too cold and not ready to go back out there. It's getting to be winter on the Chesapeake. Maybe some time around the middle of winter we ought to have a gathering here...maybe call it:

Chesapeake
Bay
Mid
Winter
Gathering!

Now that's better, back on topic!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on November 09, 2018, 06:41:03 PM

Well maybe a new thread may be in order but hopefully we can still fold this into the CBMWG discussion as it will be a topic of discussion in person!

With the news that Pabst is taking Miller-Coors to court over it's plan to stop making PBR (yep that's right, it's made by Miller-Coors)I felt it's time to explain the back story on why no one should support drinking a beer with ingredients that are frankly only used to make it cheaply, and in addition to the alcohol, which clearly we don't avoid, is not good for you. Just like Bud which is owned by a Belgium company, Papst is foreign owned:

Oasis Beverages, which is based in Russia, acquired Pabst Brewing Company in 2014 and is now headquartered in Los Angeles, not Milwaukee. Pabst traces its roots to 1844 and owned a number of well-known American beer brands, including Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz and the malt liquor Colt 45. Basically the only decent American beer companies are the craft beer makers that have not sold out to the big boys. BUY LOCAL, BUY HEALTHY, just like cheap food, cheap beer is horrible for your health and our economy. Sorry guys, I used to drink it as well but made the decision to change years ago and haven't looked back. At one point decades ago, Pabst was a quality drinkable lager, sadly no more.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2