a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

clr 2019

Started by kickingbug1, October 08, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

well we have decided to host CLR 2019. this will be the 11th year for the event. last year we didnt have the turnout that we have hoped for but we did have fun nonetheless. our race course would have worked out well if the wind hadn't died a bit of a bummer. the race which was just for fun and photo ops is far from serious competition. for 2019 we have decided to have just a windward-leeward course, with just a start line and a windward mark (simple and easy to layout). skippers will be given a start time determined by the boats handicap rating. the start time (by the clock ) will be assigned giving ample time to get to the line. skippers can start after that time but not before. this helps to keep all boats together at the finish of the race. each skipper will be provided with a map showing the course in relationship to easily visible landmarks. I think our racing marks were pretty visable at 1/3 mile apart.  number of laps will be determined by the wind conditions. another activity proposed is the "cruise to the silo". two old concrete silos, left when the river valley was flooded to create the lake, are large visable objects. they are located generally in the middle of the lake. the "cruise" would start at the dam area and continue north to the first silo. sailors would round the silo and proceed north-west to point5 (theres a blue and white sign on the bank with a large number 5. this is a fantastic anchorage and raft up spot with a shallow sand bottom bay. there all sailors would meet for a in the water party. all of the other activities from the past including the meet and greet, awards dinner and cornhole tourney will take place. this is an early posting mainly to give everyone a chance to give us their input. we especially want to hear from previous clr attendees.    thanks steve and sarah bender
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

Steve, our youngest daughter is moving to Montana and getting married out there next September. My 1st vacation choice will naturally be for her wedding, but if any of the CLR dates are available, Joanie and I will be there.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

the wedding of your daughter is a premier event in your lives and congratulations from sarah and I. the CLR is a mere footnote, however if you can come the welcome mat will be out.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

I don't want to curse myself by saying I'll be there, but dammit! I'm gonna give it my best shot!! Got a few more boats given to me for free since we talked. Cape Dory 10 (rowing only). Flying Scot and a lowly Sunfish! Keeping Koinonia and Straggler. Admiral not happy...and you all are invited to my divorce funeral! BYOPBR!!!

alsantini

Steve:  any dates been firmed up?  Love to make CLR but summer fills up fast.  Carol and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary on the 19th of June.  That is the only date that is in concrete.  Best to Sarah.

kickingbug1

to bob, bring the flying scott, fast boat easy to trailer and your shot at the clr cup. al, last week of june is the plan. hope both you guys can make it

Salty19

Thank you for organizing this fantastic event again.  We are hoping to come this year but probably without a boat again. There is a possibility I'll be at a conference that week though...we'll see. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Hi Steve. The plan for the Scot was to fix her up a bit and sell. I could use the dough.

crazycarl

Well the last week of june is still open at work so I'll take it and joanie and i will be there.  I dont care much for racing, but we'll be at the dock every evening to listen about the heroics of the day.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

great news carl. don't fret about the racing cause their will be a cruise to the silo with a raft up in a wonderful cove just west of there. bring a fishing rod as you can wade and fish there. and practice your corn hole skills. don is kick ass great

MacGyver

As of right now I should be there without issue. Ill print this off and see when this job wants me to turn in for time off.
Ill be with me, myself, and I. My friend Brad will be notified and he usually likes to come on for race day, if that happens, look out folks!

Been doing some mocking up on the boat in my spare time, which has involved alot of sitting in the boat in my garage listening to music, maybe some alcohol.......

Looking forward to CLR, and all my boat buddies!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

CLR is on my calendar and being self employed, I'll ask the boss if I can get time off for good behavior. Oh...so I gotta behave good to get the time off?
I'm planning on being there...solo...with Straggler and a sailboat of sorts!
Bob23

kickingbug1

I dare you to go out and sit in the boat tonight or tomorrow night

kickingbug1

I feel like this is a good time for some input regarding the clr. it seems that not everyone is as keen on racing as I am so if everyone agrees we will cancel the racing and just have THE CRUISE TO THE SILO. we will start at the dam and sail up the lake to and old water tank concrete silo located approximately in the middle of the lake. once you reach the silo head west to point 5 (there's a blue and white sign there). this is a perfect anchorage. sand bottom and shallow enough to just walk about and wade fish if you want. give some feedback

Bob23

Isn't there time for both?