a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

clr 2019

Started by kickingbug1, October 08, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneJarhead

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the CLR? And where is it?
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

rogerschwake

Sure plan on being at the CLR again this year. Steve and Sarah put on a great week of sailing that anyone in the Midwest should not miss. Hope to see old friends and make some new.

kickingbug1

hey marine, the CLR (Carlyle lake rendezvous) is held the last week of june at Carlyle lake (about 30 miles east of st louis. all trailer sailors are welcome no matter who built your boat. check previous posts for details. there are videos on u tube of the 2014 and 2015 events. Bob, there will be time for racing (it will be windward and leeward racing with just two markers). I was just wondering if anyone had real objections to racing. by the way last years race would have worked out great but alas the wind did not cooperate
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Looking forward to this epic event!
Being an east coaster (NJ) I find it mildly amusing when your wind doesn't show up. Here, we just have it all the time! Maybe 2 days a year when it's non existent but normally, we just take it for granted. I'll see if I can export some to CLR that week! Ha, it's NJ- there'd probably be a wind tax!!
Bob23

alsantini

Off the Wind will be there, probably without the Admiral, but with me!  Keep the weather cool as I plan on sleeping on the boat.  Really looking forward to it Kick. I will also donate copies of both sailing books.  Alone in the Gulf and Back to the Gulf.  Hello to Sarah.    Al

crazycarl

kick,

as stated, i don't care much for racing, but that's me.   i tend to be physically active on vacations and have a hard time sitting still or relaxing.  (we arrived home from a 5 week vacation last friday and i'm exhausted) sailing is the only thing i do slowly.  it's what relaxes me.

however, if racing is what you want, go for it.  we'll still be there on the water, we'll just be that small dot w a y at the stern taking pictures of the race boats.

as you suggested, i'll bring my fishing gear, and i'll also bring my bicycle, and snorkeling gear. just to stay active.

i will relax every evening on the dock with a mug purchased specifically for swilling grog.  that is MANDATORY!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

now h eres a  guy who understands the CLR. if we do race it will probably be just a windward and leeward course with the marks just 1/3 mile apart (easy to see that way). it may just be a couple of laps or so. the cruise to the silo is just that. if we have south westerly winds it should be and easy beam reach. a good opportunity to sail in a group and take lots of pics. it should be no problem to keep together. and again it ends with the best anchorage on the lake.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kickingbug1

bob, what is strangler and "a sailboat of sorts" ?

PJ

I am planning on attending with our Horizon Cat.  Don't plan on racing....
s/v Good Tidings

kickingbug1

race or cruise you will have a great time and meet some great people

Bob23

Kick:
  "Straggler" is the famous guideboat...and I'd like to bring some kind of sailboat out, too. Might be as simple as a Sunfish or could be the Flying Scot unless I sell it first.

Christopher

I plan on attending this year.  No family reunion the last week of June like last year. 
  I probably shouldn't post this because it may impact my race standing for this year but I'm going to post this anyway.  For those of you like Crazy Carl who don't want to race but plan on attending please take note.  Twice now at previous CLRs I have taken home two of the largest trophies I have ever won at anything in my life.  It wasn't because I finished first either.  It was because I was willing to give it a try.  I successfully completed the race course and  I was rewarded because I participated in the event and most importantly finished in last place.
I'm looking forward to it and I sure hope the lake won't still be frozen over then.

Cheers,
Chris
Second Wind

kickingbug1

looks like I better get to work on some trophies. again the racing if you could call it that is just for fun. seems everytime sarah and I go sailing we are either trying to catch or trying to stay ahead of another sailboat. you don't have to be fast to be fun.

kickingbug1

where are you from pj?

crazycarl

Have you decided on a theme for thursday's party?

If not, i have a suggestion...how about a beach blanket bingo/frankie and annettet/gidget theme?  A clam bake/shrimp boil/bbq?

I can bring the surf music.

It would be the "ginchiest"
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"