a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Is everyone taking a long winter nap???

Started by alsantini, January 09, 2017, 11:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Where is everyone?  Awful quiet here.  Isn't anyone sailing other than me?
Weather here turned a bit cool, windy and rough.  Have not been on the water since Friday.  With everything going on here I doubt that I will set sail until Thursday.  I plan on cleaning up the boat tomorrow morning.  She needs a bath.  Probably coat the teak since the heavy sun here in Florida takes its toll.  I usually coat twice a year.  Once at home in summer and once here in winter, so it is about time.
I still have two mold pops to repair in the cockpit.  About a nickel size void. Popped up on the trip home last spring and I did not do the repair.  It is time.  I will post some pics as I go through the process.
Sail On everyone....
Al

Mike K

No, not sailing lately, as this morning was 8 degrees here this morning in Delaware.

I am thinking about doing the West Coast (Florida) trailer Sailing Squadron sail to Cayo Costa in March. I did it 2 years ago and it was fun.

It's strange you mentioned mold pops- I just noticed 2 in my 2013 Legacy the last time I sailed to Cayo Costa after Christmas. Mine seem to be much smaller than yours. I guess the gel coat couldn't keep covering the void underneath, and collapsed like a sinkhole. I guess I'll add it to my ToDo list.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

BruceW

I sailed in early December, then got busy, and the good weather days didn't match my free time. Also, my motor for the CP 23 seems to be clogged, and it's a pain to take it off right now. That may take till March or so. Got a guy who will help me take it off, and then he'll look at the carburetor.

Got my WindRider ready if and when the weather seems good enough around here (Raleigh, NC).

I hope everyone is doing well.

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Vectordirector

Hi,
I have a couple of those voids in the gelcoat as well, one in the cockpit and one near the bow.  I'd be interested to see how you fix them as I really don't know what to do.  They seem cosmetic but maybe I should fix them too.   Shoot some pics and post them for all of us to enjoy. 

Arthur and I are planning to come up to Sarasota on the 28th to watch the Corsair Nationals and check out some of the new models.  Come join us if you aren't busy.  The following weekend Deb is coming down for the Charlotte Harbor Regatta and the Super Bowl, should be fun and I'm sure she'll be ready for some sun and warm weather after January in Chicago. 

We sail as many days per week as the weather allows.  It has been not great this last week but looking better starting tomorrow.  Pick a nice day and come sail with us as you are always welcome. 

Fair Winds,

Bryan aka
Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

relamb

I went on a 3 hour tour last week in my Compac 27, that took 4 days.  My youngest son was off college for Christmas break and wanted to go sailing.   Sailed out to "beer can island" in tampa bay, spent the night on the hook.  Leaving the next am, my engine died and would not restart.  But who needs an engine for sailing.  Strong breeze from the south made us decide to sail north up into the bay, where later in the afternoon we ran aground in a shallow area out in the middle of the bay.  ...not zooming in close enough on the chart displayed on my cell phone, I missed it on the chart, and hit it with the boat.
Since we could not back off without the motor working, the wind and tide drove us farther up on the shallow bank.  Took about two hours to get off, by walking the anchor out to deeper water, and winching on the anchor line with the sheet winches, while I pushed on the stern and managed to grab onto the swim ladder just as we sailed off.  By this time, the sun was going down and we decided not to risk navigating the shallows, and spent another night on the hook.  We planned to head south, still straight into the wind, at 6am when the tide would be running out and help us.
But in the morning, the fog was so thick we couldn't see even a quarter mile, so we waited several hours and it didn't clear.  We finally left at 9 anyway, tacking back and forth in the fog through the narrow deepwater areas. We finally made it out to the clear depths by noon when the fog dissapated, and sailed back home to the marina by 2pm.
But, I couldn't sail into the marina through a sea of boats, so I tied up in a slip vacated by a $23 million superyacht, then called the marina and asked if I could spend the night there while I figured out the engine problem.  They threw me out, since the yacht was expected back any time.   So we sailed off the dock to a cove just outside the marina entrance, and spent another night on the hook.  The next day, I hired a towboat to drag me through the marina to my own slip.  About 1/4 mile for $180.  My son's college buddies heard all about the fun, so now they all want to come do the same thing at Spring Break.  So I AM READY for a long winter's nap!
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

GeorgeH

Hello all,
We have been sailing #59 since the beginning of December.  Being above normal temps and favorable winds, we had quite a few outings with one 2 night solo mini-cruise from Sebastian FL to the Banana River and return. The unique features of the Eclipse make it a perfect choice for Florida's Indian River Lagoon, which is just about 150 miles long.  As Florida snowbirds, our sailing season is from November through March.  Number 59 became ours in January last winter.  We ignored a bunch of non-critical maintenance items to just get on the water.  We took November of this year to complete them.  Even though there doesn't appear to be a lot of teak on an Eclipse, it took quite a while to remove aging varnish, sand it down, and get our preference, Semco gold applied.  But it does look great.  We also replaced the wire connectors at the mast stub, replaced the sink drain and added a shutoff, had the sail slides replaced, and other chores I can't even remember (senior problem). 

Our Eclipse purchase coach Al had an earlier thread about Christmas presents to our vessel.  We added a bigger portable solar panel (ran out of power on solo cruise), and a tiller extender.  Not sure how we lived before that last one.

Eclipse 59 spends the winter in a local marina (Sebastian River Marina) and on the trailer for the rest of the year.  We remove as much as possible from boat, making our small RV park mobile home into a boathouse.  The engine winds up in the bathtub!  But a cat 1 hurricane came through this area in October without any problems.  Actually, the port side facing west got a natural pressure wash, leaving only starboard with the typical FL green look.  We had a garboard drain plug installed (yes, a hole was drilled in a perfectly good boat) for the long summer trailer time during Florida's rainy season.  After the storm, there was no water in the bilge!

So, yes, we are happy sailing our Eclipse, only occasionally thinking of all that solid water back home in Pennsylvania
Pat and George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

kickingbug1

i figure those sailors in the warmer climes are busy sailing and dont have time and those of us north of the mason dixon dont want to talk too much at least until march. i did have time to read your book (liked it). I am a bit worried. i know you love your eclipse but please dont sail it to mexico------promise
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Vipersdad

Hard Water sailing up here.

www.iceboat.org
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Bob23

No naps...work keeps me up! The intrepid sailing vessel Koinonia is resting comfortable on her trailer this winter at the marina. But both indoor (Concept 2) and outdoor (Straggler the Guideboat) rowing are going forward in full speed. Still trying to row all those holiday pounds off!
Bob23

alsantini

Going sailing today on a friend's Precision 23, Danke.  Captain is old friend of mine since we worked together at an area vocational center in 1974 - Man that is a long time ago. LOL
Steve, I am glad that you enjoyed he book.  I am working on a sequel now.  About 2/3 done.  Have to have it done by CLR!  Have no fear, I am not heading to Mexico any time soon in Off the Wind.
Tomorrow I begin repairing the mold voids or pops.  I will try and take some pics as I go along.  Charging up my Dremel batteries now.  No power where my boat is stored in the back of the campground.
Sail on everyone....

Tim Gardner

Al et al,

The annual SML Frostbite Regatta on 01/01/17 was cancelled due to lack of wind.  The first Cruise of the year went to my Vintage Pontoon boat (named "Toon Too") last Saturday during the snow storm here at SML. 18°F Brrrrr.

Next sail is today expected winds 8kts from the SW 65°F Nice! First sail of the year.  Gotta grab the January Thaw!

TG

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

kickingbug1

tim, post pics of that first sail-----always good to see people shivering on a sailboat
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

fried fish

Looks like sailing is in the afternoon forecast here in Southport NC.
high 70 degrees, light wind, which probably means 15 knots.
Somebody's got to do it.
Ciao!

Potcake boy

Well, you guys enjoy your sail. I remember sailing in January when I lived in Maryland (what was I thinking), now I can't imagine sailing with shoes on.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

DaleM

The long summer of 2016 passed with very little rain.  Most of our lake levels are dangerously low.   The weather is perfect with Jan. Temps averaging 65 degs. and plenty of sunshine but no H2O.  So, plan B is to haul the boat down to Port St. Joe, Fla. (Gulf Coast ) where there is plenty of Salty H20. 
So, it's nice to have the option. 
Happy New Year and fair winds to all!
If not now..When?