a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone install one of these...

Started by rbh1515, November 28, 2015, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Raymarine wireless wind systems?  Thinking of getting one for next year.  Just need to make sure it will fit on top of the mast.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

peterg

I can't speak to the Raymarine system, but I installed a Nexus wireless system two years ago on our CP23. I absolutely love it- great for extracting the last little bit of performance from the boat, and I got rid of the sore neck syndrome from constantly looking up at the Windex. I had to make a small adapter shim for the masthead unit, but installation was fairly straight-forward. Nexus, I believe, has since been acquired by Garmin, thereby allowing them to double the price! Go for it!!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

blighhigh

Mine fits and works perfectly.  The only problem is that spiders like to spin a web around the cups.  (Boat stays in the water for six months.)

wes

I'm in process of installing a NMEA 2000 network on my CP 27, initially to interconnect my Garmin chartplotter, Garmin universal display instrument, depth transducer, and tank level sensors for fuel and water. I've looked closely at wind sensors as a future project. The weakness of the spinning type seems to be their vulnerability to damage by birds, spiders, gale force winds and other risks. They are pretty delicate.

Check out the Maretron WSO100. It has no moving parts whatsoever; uses ultrasonic sensors to calculate wind direction and speed. It does not have a dedicated display - you network it with your other NMEA 2000 devices and view it on your general purpose display. It's expensive ($579 from Defender), but looks like it might outlast half a dozen of the conventional spinning kind.

Wes

http://www.maretron.com/products/wso100.php

"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rbh1515

Wes, looks like that is not a wireless system?

blighhigh, so you have the Raymarine setup?  Just tap and screw into the top of the mast?  How is the mount for the display?
Rob

wes

Correct, wired system. Got to run cables up the mast anyway for anchor light, steaming light, and VHF antenna. Wireless seems cool, but wouldn't it need power anyway?

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

blighhigh

Quote from: rbh1515 on November 30, 2015, 05:36:10 PM
Wes, looks like that is not a wireless system?

blighhigh, so you have the Raymarine setup?  Just tap and screw into the top of the mast?  How is the mount for the display?
Rob

Just add the mast head mount to the mast with three screws.  The display module is attached to a flat mounting plate and is easily removed to prevent theft.  I installed mine on the port cockpit bulkhead.  The system comes with an additional mounting plate if you want to install it inside the cabin or another location.  The system is wireless and has solar panels on the receiver and wind speed/indicator. i.e. no power required

rbh1515

Yep, no cables needed.  I love the idea of the unit being solar powered.
Rob

cdflan

Installed this system on my HC with no problems.  Mounting bracket for the display screwed to starboard cabin bulkhead (had compass mounted to port).  Works perfectly and no problems with it (except osprey likes to lite on the mounting arm).

Jeff S

Caution regarding Raymarine electronics.  Each piece of hardware has pre-installed software.  The install  instructions instruct how to identify the version number and write it down for future reference. Then check the raymarine web site to see if there are any updates, depending on how long the hardware has been sitting on a shelf.  The software should be kept up to date.  The problem is a raymarine chart plotter with SD slot is required and must be connected to the instruments via their very own proprietary seatalk network connections.  Just their way of saying all or nothing.

rbh1515

Jeff,
I am looking at the Raymarine T101.  Just would use it as a stand alone for wind direction and speed.  Would I really need to update it, or if I did, would I even be able to?
Rob

Jeff S

I was unaware of the Raymarine association until I came across this in Defender.com

As a result of the acquisition of the TackTick brand of wireless instruments, Raymarine has officially announced their transition and reintroduction as Raymarine Wireless Instruments.

Though the brand name has changed, the devices are otherwise identical to their TackTick counterparts in Form, Fit, Function and Appearance. Like every other Raymarine product, Raymarine Wireless Instruments are backed by their industry leading 2 year standard warranty.

I don't have any first-hand experience with Micronet or TackTick but found 5 user reviews at West Marine.  Search for T101.

rbh1515

Jeff,
Yep, this is essentially a TackTick product, and they had a very good reputation.  I have read all the reviews.  Have not found any negative info.  Want to do a lot of research before I plunck down $1k.  If I buy, I'll probably wait till the spring when Defender has their huge store wide sale, or purchase at a boat show.  That's what I did when I bought my Torqeedo...saved over $400 on the Torqeedo throw Toqeedo.  Sounds like the unit will fit my masthead no problem!
Rob

Bob23

I use yarn tied to the shrouds about 5 feet up. Red on the left, green on the right. I have enough yarn left for about 10,000 more summers. :)
Bob23