a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone install one of these...

Started by rbh1515, November 28, 2015, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

How do you calibrate that yarn for wind speed?  ;)  I wouldn't even need to buy any yarn....could just steal some from my daughter who knits.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

cdflan

No problem to mount.  I didn't see any reason I'd need to update the software.  Had also cut off the interface wires for the Raymarine autopilot when I installed it as didn't see need to connect with anything else.

Dogboy

Quote from: Bob23 on December 03, 2015, 05:36:28 AM
I use yarn tied to the shrouds about 5 feet up. Red on the left, green on the right. I have enough yarn left for about 10,000 more summers. :)
Bob23

I use ribbon on the side-stays and the backstay.  They keep sliding down and becoming less than useful.  Perhaps I will have to upgrade to this newfangled wireless technology next year!
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

Bob23

Wireless yarn taped with electrical tape.

Salty19

I use wireless (wifi actually) cassette tape; granted it doesn't last all season but one tape should last a lifetime, and no problems with signal quality. I prefer Maxell brand.
Also a wireless (cellular/4G) 15" Davis Windex with transistor and fiber optic based standoff to locate it aft of the mast.  Great reception, solar powered and interfaces with the optical network aboard.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Salty:
   I also tried cassette tape but discovered a disturbing feature: With a certain wind speed and direction, I could actually hear the music that was recorded on the tape. The disturbing part came when I heard Kenny G sounds emanating from my starboard shroud! I almost jumped overboard to escape! Fortunately, I replaced him with an old Jimmy tape and all was well. Now I use yarn because I still listen to all my cassettes.

rogerschwake

Long ago I raced against some one how used toilet paper for his wind indicator but  said he had to buy the expensive brand so it held together when it got wet. He was full of it so always had a lot of rolls around. It looks like another winter up here in Iowa, hope everyone has a merry Christmas.

ROGER

rbh1515

Decided not to buy the Raymarine system...I think it's something that may break in a few years, and it's expensive.  I had wind indicators on the shrouds, but really didn't like them much.  Just bought a small masthead apparent wind indicator by Schaefer (Little Hawk race).  Should work out well.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End