a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Project- Lots of Work Ahead! PICS

Started by fenderstratman41, March 09, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenderstratman41

Gonna see if I can get her seaworthy again. Will need help and advice from my com pac friends.

Greene

Believe it or not, those are not the worst "before" pictures we have seen of a 16.  If you need motivation search the site for a couple of other total renovations.  They actually turned out to be nice looking boats.  Good luck!

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Welcome Stratman:
   Hey, it's a Compac so it has a strong pedigree. Looks like a lot of work mostly cleaning up. Even that mast foot can be repaired. In my  opinion, you really don't want bolts and fender washers at that mast foot. In the event if a dismasting, it's better for the foot to break away rather than take the deck with it. I'd just use an adhesive caulk and stainless wood screws. Under normal sailing, there is very little latteral load on the foot.
   Do for it! You'll be happy you did. There are lots of 16 guys here and you'd be able to scrounge up many parts from the site here. Compacs are well supported by the factory and parts are readily available.
Bob23

jthatcher

Hmm,  with a name like  fenderstratman,  it sounds like you have a passion for more than just sailing!   welcome and good luck with the project..   thanks for starting off with pics...  we hope to see many more as you tackle the job.     my brother is a musician - i grew up listening to lots of screaming guitars...  and he still plugs in at times, but he has settled down a bit in the latter part of  his fifth decade - currently works as a clinician with Martin Guitars, traveling all around the world, demonstrating Martins..  we tend to like the acoustic side of things  :)    jt

shazam

Lots of work ahead.......and cost.  I would encourage you to find a CP like this one: http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scompac16254.html under $2k, and ready for your personal touches.
shazam aka Emmett

fenderstratman41

Appreciate the input so far.

Jthatcher you're right. I'm a professional musician so sailing IS a close 2nd :) Touring with Martin would be a dream job!

shazam that would be too easy :) A friend of mine actually owns this boat. We agreed I'd put in the work if he put in the $$$. I like the endearing challenge of restoring a boat to seaworthiness. I live in central Florida and have always dreamed of sailing out into the gulf. I'm hoping the blood, sweat, tears, and money will make it much more enjoyable.

skip1930

Salt water ... hummmm don't worry about the tabernacle, pound her straight. Rebuild what's under it, new compression post ... but most of all your arm is going to fall off grinding the dirt off with 80 grit.
Then roll-on a skim coat with epoxy resign. Sand and paint. Not much wood to go bad. And no wood cores, plywood hard points? Yes. Fiberglass doesn't rot but UV can powder it.

If the keel cement is not busted through the fiberglass, leave it alone. A few holes? Skim coat and sand and paint.

Then the rig/sails ... that's where the money is going to go.
Interior, clean and paint. New cushions.

Good luck.

Me? I'd cut her apart with a chop saw and sell components, then toss or burn the dregs.

A little paint and a little lace will make her what she ain't.

Keep in mind what you'll have when it's finished. Work the boat for love, not to make money.

skip.

Billy

I agree with Greene,
Really not that bad. My only advice is those things work better on water than land. ;)

Just kidding.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

kickingbug1

im inspired, i think im gonna do a pencil drawing of your first picture. and best of luck----as they say in the classic car world----dont crushem---restorem
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

fenderstratman41

yes she looks like she wants to break free doesn't she...

Craig

The sad truth is you can buy a decent one for a lot less than than it will cost to rebuild this one. Sad to see a boat that has been so neglected. Good luck! Your reward will be in satisfaction, not in$$.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

Strat:
  Not a bad deal if your friend is gonna kick in the bucks for the restoration. I agree with you, it'd be a shame to cut it up. With enough $, blood, sweat, tears and beer- you could have a beautiful boat.
Go for it!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Looks like a candidate for a "Sailboat Company Trans-mografication" into a Trawler/sailor.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

I have to assume you have the spars and standing rigging and it is all in good enough shape to be reused.  If not, the project is not financially worth the effort.  Or it should be reconsidered as a trawler conversion. 

I got my boat with a mangled tabernacle and spent some time trying to pound it out, then found out that you can buy them inexpensively from Hutchins.  Also agree with Bob, rebuild the step then attach the tab bracket with sealant and wood screws.  It is supposed to be breakaway in the event of a dismasting, protects the more expensive component, the mast.

Have fun with your project.  I like to see them brought back.

fenderstratman41

Do have mast, boom, sails... shouldn't be too bad. Biggest issue will probably be straightening the tabernacle and fixing the compression post. Finding a few missing parts and wood trim around the companionway... little things "FAMOUS LAST WORDS"