a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib sail

Started by Sterling, February 09, 2014, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

I have the original main and jib from 1976.  They are as soft as a baby's blanket, but no tears or damage.  The main I use now is about a year or two old and is fine, but I'm thinking it would be worth replacing my jib.  I live close to Hutchins in Clearwater and can drive over to pick a new one up.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm just figuring by getting it at Hutchins I will get a sail that they feel works best with the boat (I don't know anything about weights, materials, etc), plus I'm assuming it will have the Com-Pac logo on it.  Has anyone purchased a jib recently from them?  Any idea on what it would cost to have the original jib reconditioned, and is that a better way to go?  Thanks for your advice in advance.

Sterling

wes

My short answer: buy a new jib. That 1976 one is ready for retirement. There's no reason to get it from Hutchins - they don't make sails. The originals were made by Johnson (now JSI). There are lots of threads on this site about good sailmakers. Super Sailmakers is well thought of, as is National Sail. There are many others. Almost any sailmaker will have dimensions for the 16 on file, and any of them can put on the Com-Pac logo for you.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Sterling

Thanks for the info, Wes.  I looked up prices and for some reason they are slightly higher then Hutchins.  Could it be a quality or weight difference?  Hutchins has it for $282 with the hanks on.  The other companies seem to be selling in the low $300's.  I'm not sure of the weight of the Hutchins sail.

wes

Weight, size, and USA vs offshore manufacture are the main variables (adding the logo is extra). I would seek advice from the other 16 sailors here about size and weight. Amongst the 19 sailors like me, it's common to replace the original working jib with a larger one for more horsepower. I have a 155% for light wind (lake sailing) conditions and a 110% for coastal sailing in heavier air. But the situation with a 16 may be different. I'm sure others will respond.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

NateD

I don't think they typically put logos on jibs. The mainsail has the maker/model logo with sail number, the jib will often have the sailmakers tag somewhere, but I haven't seen any with a big Com-Pac logo on them.

If Hutchins has a good price and they have one in stock (or will order it), then go for it. It would be fun to go see the birth place of the boat. Otherwise, as others have said, Hutchins does not make they sails, so you can just as easily order a sail directly from the sailmaker. As Wes said, Super Sailmakers in FL is good (I just talked to a local sail/canvas shop in MN this weekend and she suggested Super Sailmakers, and I purchased a 135 genoa from them last year for my 23 and I was pleased). This winter I ordered a new main and genoa for my 16 from Peak Sails (http://www.peaksailsna.com/com-pac/com-pac-16/). They don't have as good of a reputation as Super Sailmakers, but I was very pleased with their service, the sails came in about 3 weeks, and their prices were the lowest I could find. I haven't bent the sails onto the boat yet (water is still solid and under 2' of snow), but they sure looked nice spread out in my living room.

carry-on

Last June(2013), I bought a 5 oz. hank on, 120% jib for my CP-16XL. $175 with bag, leach line including shipping. Bought from National.
Nice sail for moderate wind. The hanks are stainless..snap on the stay quickly with ample room for a downhaul.

Mastheadsailinggear.com in Tampa, shows some new CP-16 4 oz. jibs in inventory for $179. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

kickingbug1

i think a 5 oz sail is plenty good for a cp16, unless you spend a lot of time in high wind (20 plus stuff). another consideration is furling. unless you intend on using a larger genny, any number of homemade furlers will work. for me a furler is the way to go. if you solo sail its almost a must. anytime you dont have to go forward on a 16 is a good thing especially in high wind when you want to depower.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Gerry

Bought my new sails from National Sails.  Good price, and good service.  They have the correct sizes on file. 
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

atrometer

The suggestion for a 110 jib is a good one - many have told me that.  I have an original 150, so I'd like a new jib also. I'd use the 150 for VERY light air.  I was looking at North Sails Direct -they were about $130 for a 110%.

Sterling

Good info, thanks.  I'm wondering how large a jib I can use without having to add the tracks and extra hardware.  I have just the original hardware on the boat.  Anyone know?  I'm not opposed to adding the tracks, but I'm not quite ready to do that now.

I sail mostly in the Gulf of Mexico, a mile or so off the coast.  Winds vary of course, but can he decent at times.  I have an undersized jib that's brand new, for high winds.  I'm thinking my next jib should be 110 up to 130??  Not certain about that.  I'm just thinking that when winds are light it would be nice to have more horsepower.  Then at some point I would like to get a 150 and add the tracks. Thoughts?

JBC

Sterling,

I'm pretty sure the standard jib for a CP 16/I is the 110% size.  If so, the original cam cleat position for the jib sheet matches that size, and it, of course, is not adjustable.  I could be wrong, but adding even the 130% without adjusting the position of that jib cleat (fixed on the forward combing, right?) might not be optimum for the larger jib, in order to obtain proper jib shape.

I have a standard 110% furling jib on my CP 16/III.  A glance at the specifications for the 16 on this site will show that those jib dimensions changed with the introduction of a bow sprit, on the CP 16/II and later.  But I also have tracks and cars on my boat, which is standard I believe for those models with the sprit.  Even though my jib is only 110%, I really like the adjustable positions the tracks provide for sail shape.  And if I ever move up to a larger head sail, the boat is already ready. 

Summary: if you are going to have to add a block for any larger head sail, I think adding the tracks system at that point gives you much more flexibility, since you apparently are thinking of having perhaps just about all of the sizes, eventually!

Jett

NateD

On my 16/I (with no tracks) I would cleat the 150 genoa to the stern cleats. On a light-wind day I have more fun actually moving at a good pace with a poor sheet lead angle than I do going slow with very nicely trimmed sails.

Sterling

I called Hutchins today and was informed that the Com-Pac 16 Mark-1 uses a 130 Jib.  They charge $280 and didn't have one in stock, but typically get them quickly since their supplier tends to have some on hand.  I then called National since they are also in the area and they confirmed a 130 Jib for a Mark-1.  They gave me a price of $145 with the hanks on, sail bag and leech line.  It's a 4 oz material, which they said is not as durable as 5 oz, but will perform better in lighter winds.  I believe that will suit me best where I live.

Thanks for the info everyone.  I might try that 150 genoa to the stern cleats when I get one, but I think I know myself well enough to say that the tracks will need to be installed.

JBC

Thanks for the update, Sterling.  Appears my CP 16/III furling jib is 130% rather than 110% as I thought, since it was the original one that came the boat. Live and learn.
Jett

Sterling

Jett, Hutchins rep told me that only the Mark 1 uses the 130 Jib as the standard size.  The Mark II & III uses a 110.  I pondered that afterwards because I would think it would be the opposite.  You have more room with the bowsprit.  I don't know, but National confirmed it when I called them.  You might just have the 110.

Thanks, Sterling